Photo

Need some tips fishing Port Dalhousie...

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 11:46 AM

I'm not familiar with the water...is there access to both east & west pier? I'm targetting pike and I know Salmon should be moving in and heard good brown trout fishing. Just want to know if there are any parts that are off limits...Thanks in advance.

#2 fishing fr3ak

fishing fr3ak

Sunfish

• Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 12:19 PM

Never fished there myself but i recently watched a youtube vid of italo and friends fishing the area. 

Dunno if that will help or not but makes me want to head out that way. Good luck!!

#3 ChasinTails

ChasinTails

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 12:22 PM

I've never caught there, or seen anybody catch fish there. I would personally go to the whirlpool or glen to fish. Just my 2 cents

#4 Drop_Shot

Drop_Shot

Sunfish

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 04:08 PM

I like how he let the fish go before it could recover, and the camera quickly went to the next scene.. lol..

#5 NiagaraSteel

NiagaraSteel

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 04:40 PM

That's my cue!

Port dalhousie has great fishing year round. No migratory salmonoids for a bit still, but some great warm water species fishing is there. I go on the lakeside park pier. North, NW, or NE winds make the fishing best, with lots of 5-10 fish days. It is great for getting a mixed bag. Any other wind is okay, but not as great. A worm or minnow fished on a sliding sinker rig is by far the best way to fish there. The main fish you catch there are 1) sheepshead 2) white bass 3) smallies and largies. There are tons others, like catfish, pike, musky, perch, suckers, gobies, etc, etc. The fish are notorious for swallowing the hook, so keep a taught line. The fish all feel the same on the bite there... Bump Bump.

#6 hamiltonangler94

hamiltonangler94

Smallmouth Fanatic

• Active Members
  • 1,060 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 04:37 PM

I've always wanted to fish there....might try it out sometime since its pretty close to home

#7 ChasinTails

ChasinTails

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 04:49 PM

I've always wanted to fish there....might try it out sometime since its pretty close to home

if you ask me its da lousy place to fish 

#8 NiagaraSteel

NiagaraSteel

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 05:08 PM

Not at all

P.S. why did rich change his name to that?

#9 Majstor

Majstor

VIP Pro Staff

• Active Members
  • 1,165 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 05:19 PM

just because you have never caught fish there does't make it lousy. Port Dalhousie has a nice brown trout fishery and a mix bag of everything. Its not a ditch thats 4 feet deep and 5 feet wide. You have to know how to fish it to catch fish. Back when i u use to fish there i had alot of success on streamers and roe bags. Bottom bouncing the best way to fish there since its very deep and and some spots have very fast current.

#10 ChasinTails

ChasinTails

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 05:20 PM

Not at all

ive never so much as seen a fish being pulled out 

#11 ChasinTails

ChasinTails

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 05:21 PM

just because you have never caught fish there does't make it lousy. Port Dalhousie has a nice brown trout fishery and a mix bag of everything. Its not a ditch thats 4 feet deep and 5 feet wide. You have to know how to fish it to catch fish. Back when i u use to fish there i had alot of success on streamers and roe bags. Bottom bouncing the best way to fish there since its very deep and and some spots have very fast current.

ive been there 10+ times at different times of the year, with the place loaded with guys fishing, no one caught a thing, i always head down 25mins to niagara 

#12 justdriftin

justdriftin

Sunfish

• Banned
  • 62 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 05:52 PM

ive been there 10+ times at different times of the year, with the place loaded with guys fishing, no one caught a thing, i always head down 25mins to niagara 

I have been fishing that area a very long time.. And float drifter is absolutely correct..

If you don't know how to fish it, you will never catch..

#13 Brian

Brian

Perch

• Active Members
  • 553 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 05:53 PM

Sorry CT but I have to disagree with you on this one...

Port Dal is a great fishery...

There is always something around waiting to be caught...

#14 ChasinTails

ChasinTails

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 06:05 PM

well i guess its my luck, but ive already driven 2 hrs to get there might as well fish the niaga i always catch there 

#15 NiagaraSteel

NiagaraSteel

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 07:33 PM

ive never so much as seen a fish being pulled out

Go there while im there and mass amounts will be redefined.

#16 robbyc

robbyc

Sunfish

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 08:55 PM

ive never caught any fish there myself, but ive seen tons of fish get pulled outta there. there is a certain technique in bottom bouncing you have to master. like mentioned before, its not a 5 foot wide ditch where any tom,dick and harry can drift a worm and catch a fish. you have to know what you are doing. Clearly I still don't, but Im not giving up though, im gonna try again this year. After witnessing what i have seen its hard to get those images outta my head   :razz:  :razz:

#17 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 10:33 AM

Not at all

Just to answer your question Cat...that's how I fish...I retrieve, then I pause...and jerk.

#18 NiagaraSteel

NiagaraSteel

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 10:43 AM

Just to answer your question Cat...that's how I fish...I retrieve, then I pause...and jerk.

Lol i like the old one better

#19 hamiltonangler94

hamiltonangler94

Smallmouth Fanatic

• Active Members
  • 1,060 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 11:26 AM

Ya I'm definently gonna go there in a couple weeks and try for some salmon

#20 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 01:13 PM

Good lu

Ya I'm definently gonna go there in a couple weeks and try for some salmon

Goodluck and looking forward to some great reports...I will be out for blood but not salmon. I want them browns and i want them bad.