• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 OCDComputing

OCDComputing

Perch

• Active Members
  • 564 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 04:03 PM

So yesterday I get out to one of my fav fishing rivers and decide to bottom bounce worms on a jig head. After the first catfish I flattened the barb to make removal that much easier. Landed at least 20 catfish a few small smallies (about a pound), 2 nice smallies that were about 3 lbs (lost a BIG smallie) and then it happened.

It's worth noting that I run with braid on my spinning rig and have my drag set very tight so that I can reel them in quickly and get them back into the water.

I had cast out into the river and was just about to sit my butt back on the ground when all of a sudden there was a huge swirl, my rod bent double and away she went! My drag is set that it is pretty difficult to peel off any line manually and holy crap was this fish peeling line off! It would stop for a few seconds, I would get a wind or two then off it went again. I truly thought that this fish was going to spool me as it was getting pretty close. LOL...I think it's time I respooled anyways at it's getting pretty low from cutting back worn line. The only thing that I was seeing in the water were some huge swirls and never did see the fish.

Apparently I should have let it run some more as the reason it came off is that it destroyed the hook. I don't think I've ever seen a hook straightened the way this one was. The two other people fishing fairly close by were floored by it all.

So yes, I did a long distance release on the fish...and left it there for next time, but I was jazzed just the same.

Cheers,

Cameron

#2 Kit

Kit

Canadian River Angler

• Premium Account

• 1,895 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 06:22 PM

Lol thats insane.

#3 Mr. Bassturd

Mr. Bassturd

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 285 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 08:51 PM

sweet 

Ive never liked jig heads for that reason I haven't found one yet that won't do that to me usually it is snags that straiten out my jigheads although there was this one that got away I was about 10 or so and was at a trailer park (it was a nice one) it was a gb trib and there was a sheltered bay inside the park full of docks for the boots, so I would usually fish this area if no one would take me out in the boot and here I was walking up and down the docks with a tube jig jigging underneath and around as im walking back to land maybe five feet from shore I get a huge strike so I set the hook and hold on he started splashing around and sort of rolling almost I didn't see the head all I saw was the back half of the fish and the tail then it happened my line went slack and when I checked the jighead it was strait.  I still have no idea what it was but from what I remember it had to be a good 20 inches long.  after that I was there everyday for the rest of the summer

#4 FishingNoob

FishingNoob

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 07:15 AM

Carp are super strong fish and I target them with small hooks, size 8 or smaller, it doesn't give the fish leverage to bend or throw the hook. Now, your probably even more determined to catch this fish!

#5 OCDComputing

OCDComputing

Perch

• Active Members
  • 564 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 02:08 PM

LOL...you could say that! Now it's war!

#6 hamiltonangler94

hamiltonangler94

Smallmouth Fanatic

• Active Members
  • 1,060 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 02:38 PM

That sucks man! Good fish story tho :P

#7 OCDComputing

OCDComputing

Perch

• Active Members
  • 564 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 03:53 PM

LOL...seems like there are stories for everything! The first time I tried to target Carp using corn and just about ended up in the river as I was on a really steep bank and way off balance..I had just cast my line when my rod almost got yanked out of my hand as I was turning....I came ---><--- close to going in! Turns out it was a 2 1/2 lb smallie that hit the corn just after it hit the water.

Normally I would have let him go.....in retaliation...I ate him! LOL!

#8 alwayscatching

alwayscatching

Smallmouth Bass

• Moderators
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 04:03 PM

Great fish story ahah.

#9 Knuguy

Knuguy

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 996 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 04:56 PM

Are there any sturgeon in that river?

#10 Kit

Kit

Canadian River Angler

• Premium Account

• 1,895 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:21 PM

Sturgeon? I think they only like deep water. And pretty sure their numbers are scarce. Since they have been closed for what 4 years now?

#11 hammercarp

hammercarp

Perch

• Active Members
  • 660 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 11:50 PM

Great story. You can bet that similar events have happened to others and they told of the huge fish that straightened their hook or destroyed tackle. They generally conclude with " It musta been a huge musky/pike/sturgeon". Nope just a carp. :)

#12 NiagaraSteel

NiagaraSteel

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 08:21 AM

Go back!

#13 OCDComputing

OCDComputing

Perch

• Active Members
  • 564 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:30 AM

Are there any sturgeon in that river?

Not to my knowledge

Go back!

I'll be back at it this weekend!

#14 Knuguy

Knuguy

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 996 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 12:40 PM

Sturgeon? I think they only like deep water. And pretty sure their numbers are scarce. Since they have been closed for what 4 years now?

Actually, there's quite a few in the Nottawasaga River---illegal to target them of course, but some folks have struck 1 on occasion.

#15 OCDComputing

OCDComputing

Perch

• Active Members
  • 564 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 03:11 PM

So further to the story.....after almost getting spooled, I went out the next weekend and bought a new rod and reel and spooled it up with 40lb braid. Went back to the same spot and figured I'd have some fun with the Cats and Smallies. Within 5 minutes of casting out...BLAM...and off she goes! I didn't have my drag set as tight but still very firm and this fish was peeling line off like a mad man. It actually took 10+ minutes to land. Unfortunately I didn't have my scale with me..but all I know is it was bloody heavy! Approx. 70 cms long. Finally got him landed, picture then released. Threw out again and BAM...another one almost the same size...landed, picture, release..out again and didn't I get a 3rd hit within 60 seconds...the 3rd one was a bit smaller but holy acrobatic! This thing was up and right out of the water 3 times! LOL...the 3rd one even being a bit smaller took longer to land than the first two! So after about 45 mins total of fighting fish it was time to leave and go back for a few cold pops!

Attached Images

• carp.jpg

#16 PUMP KNOWS

PUMP KNOWS

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 03:19 PM

Wow, congrats bro.

Your rig was just bottom bouncing with a worm?

#17 OCDComputing

OCDComputing

Perch

• Active Members
  • 564 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 03:26 PM

Thanks! Yeah, just hooked up a Trout hook on a snap swivel and was using 1/2 worms. Had a weight about 2 feet up from the hook.

#18 Rowbow

Rowbow

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 04:32 PM

Haha! good story!

And congratulations on your first carp!

I recently caught my first carp about 2 weeks ago and it's a lot more fun than I thought it would be, they put up some good fights.

They are also pretty good at almost stealing my rod   :razz:

#19 OCDComputing

OCDComputing

Perch

• Active Members
  • 564 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 04:37 PM

Yeah, the 3 that I hooked into gave some really good fights. I have NO doubt about them stealing rods! Congrats on your first! I will be trying again for them this weekend...well...try for smallies and maybe hook into one as an incedental catch! LOL!

#20 FishingNoob

FishingNoob

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 06:34 PM

Yeah, the 3 that I hooked into gave some really good fights. I have NO doubt about them stealing rods! Congrats on your first! I will be trying again for them this weekend...well...try for smallies and maybe hook into one as an incedental catch! LOL!

Soon you won't fish for anything but Carp after experiencing fights like that.