• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Will

Will

Sunfish

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 04:54 PM

I recently moved to Kitchener from the GTA and I'm wondering if anyone fishes Erie tribs for salmon/steelhead? Obviously no specific locations, but I can't seem to find anything on whether chinooks even run any of these tribs? I've heard of steelhead in the Grand (Dunnville) but nothing about salmon.

Thanks for any help.

#2 ChasinTails

ChasinTails

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 04:59 PM

lol eerie has salmon ??? 

#3 Will

Will

Sunfish

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 05:02 PM

That was the question. Seems like no? Apparently no stocking anymore....but just wondering.

#4 NiagaraSteel

NiagaraSteel

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 05:06 PM

Very few salmon

#5 Will

Will

Sunfish

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 05:09 PM

Very few salmon

Alright thanks...just wondering if it was worth heading there instead of heading north to Huron tribs.

#6 justdriftin

justdriftin

Sunfish

• Banned
  • 62 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 05:09 PM

Lots of bows... Niagara is always an option for you..

GL!

#7 Will

Will

Sunfish

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 05:13 PM

Lots of bows... Niagara is always an option for you..

GL!

True. Niagara was great this spring for bows and lakers!

#8 NiagaraSteel

NiagaraSteel

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 08:26 AM

Alright thanks...just wondering if it was worth heading there instead of heading north to Huron tribs.

Salmon will be way better on huron. Steelhead will be similar, more or less.

#9 staffman

staffman

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 08:50 AM

Many Erie tribs. have runs of bows, but I don't think that there are a lot of salmon.

#10 steelheadhunter

steelheadhunter

Earthworm

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 03:51 PM

there is chinny's in a few tribs you will have to work for them though!

#11 LogJam

LogJam

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 252 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 11:44 AM

there are some "salmons" in erie, but far and few between.  choho's and pinks i have heard. not sure if true. but the bows are there in the hundreds if not thousands.

the spring run is awesome to watch at the few fish ladders they have on some of the main tribs.  the grand has started its fall bow run. from the lake to paris, where they fork off into local tribs there.

i know of alot of tribs that hold the beauties. well 2 real good ones, but as for the salmon, i dont think they would make it if there are any.

send me a pm some time if ya need a bit of guidance, i live in cambridge and have been finding new spots for bows and browns the few years... 

#12 DaveC

DaveC

Sunfish

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 12:08 PM

Logjam....tried to pm you but i guess your box is full. From Cambridge myself....looking for a bit of guidance as well. Know the us tribs well....but clueless on the grand. Ever need a fishing partner....i might be just down the road...lol

#13 Icehut

Icehut

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 12:08 PM

Apparently Erie had tons of salmon till the ministry quit stocking, back in the 80's or so, having deemed the lake incapable of supporting them, evidence othewise.  Still plenty of bows. Huron tribs have coho and chinnies but not so great anymore... I've been skunked on maybe 20 trips in the last 2 years... all about timing. You want serious chinook, chance at a multi-fish day, to 40 pounds, Lake Ontario is where it's at.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: steelhead, chinook, salmon, erie