don't be a hater Ijay you know SIMMS is the way to go LOLOLOL

Haters goin' hate.

#22 OCDComputing

OCDComputing

Perch

• Active Members
  • 564 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 12:08 PM

I agree iJay, members should not come in looking for the free quick advice/answer.  They should be willing to contribute to the community and it's growth and learn the knowledge they are seeking not expect it to be spoon fed to them. 

I'm not sure that I totally agree with some of the above. I'm fairly new to the board and really don't have a lot to contribute (still a Salmon and Steelie virgin), but it was coming here and asking for advice and the responses that I received that kept me coming back. It's an open and unpaid forum, hence why people *do* come here looking for advice or information. If they are like me, it took a bit to learn the "fishing language and etiquette".

Just my $.02

#23 WasagaWader

WasagaWader

Sunfish

• Members
  • 226 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 12:38 PM

I am not saying ignore them.  And I would argue that you do have something to contribute, I see you posting all the time.  That is contributing to the community.

#24 Kit

Kit

Canadian River Angler

• Premium Account

• 1,895 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 01:19 PM

I also have to say when people become a member on here and their first post is "Where can I get fish" That just makes me laugh. If your gonna make an account and just ask questions all the time and you give no input etc. Just use google or the search function cause I am sure nobody will give that person an answer. Or usually people will give a smart ass answer lol.

#25 AKnook

AKnook

Perch

• Active Members
  • 578 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 01:55 PM

Being polite is always the way to go.  Just keep in mind that some people are completely new to fishing.  Sometimes a new member has never been on a forum before and has no clue that those questions are an irritant to some.  There is a leraning curve as a noob to their first forum.  This is the second forum I am a member of and I know I had a lot to learn when I joined my first.  Just kindly guide them into the right direction either by giving some advice or point them to back posts.  Thats it.  If the question bothers you then just don't respond at all. 

#26 iJay

iJay

Hero Drift

• Active Members
  • 830 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 02:16 PM

I'm not sure that I totally agree with some of the above. I'm fairly new to the board and really don't have a lot to contribute (still a Salmon and Steelie virgin), but it was coming here and asking for advice and the responses that I received that kept me coming back. It's an open and unpaid forum, hence why people *do* come here looking for advice or information. If they are like me, it took a bit to learn the "fishing language and etiquette".

Just my $.02

You didnt come on here say "I am new, where is the fish" Thru different conversations you have witnessed and red you have found knowledge in it. When I refer to the newbies I am saying these guys that come on here saying "Are the salmon in the west tribs yet???"  you can be a newb or a long time member.

I think if everyone was to treat this board as a "take a penny, leave a penny" container people would be alot happier. Meaning, sure you don't know about Salmon tell us somehting about bass fishing or some other fish and then we can tell you about Salmon.

Alwayycatching is a newbie and without knowing me or my expirences sent me maps of rice lake and where great fishing was to be had. Turned out to be the best bass fishing I have expirenced thus far. So I am saying newbies that come on here with the mentality of taken all the pennies from the container are the ones that get flammed.

#27 Kit

Kit

Canadian River Angler

• Premium Account

• 1,895 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 02:33 PM

Being polite is always the way to go.  Just keep in mind that some people are completely new to fishing.  Sometimes a new member has never been on a forum before and has no clue that those questions are an irritant to some.  There is a leraning curve as a noob to their first forum.  This is the second forum I am a member of and I know I had a lot to learn when I joined my first.  Just kindly guide them into the right direction either by giving some advice or point them to back posts.  Thats it.  If the question bothers you then just don't respond at all. 

I normally don't say anything I just read what others say when it comes to posts like that.

#28 ChaseChrome

ChaseChrome

Banned

• Banned
  • 2,448 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 02:40 PM

Take a penny and pay it forward...leave a dime...
Perhaps these sentiments come with time, and ergo, wisdom...
WW's observations are accurate and as a microcosm of the broader social dynamic it is THE trend more broadly...unfortunately...

And so apropos of the above we might be well served to learn from exemplary humanists like Goreski who once said "what you give...write in the sand, what is gifted to you, accept as carved in stone..."

Out

#29 openfire

openfire

Administrator

• Active Members
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 09:36 PM

This

#30 ChasinTails

ChasinTails

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 09:53 PM

Alwayycatching is a newbie and without knowing me or my expirences sent me maps of rice lake and where great fishing was to be had. Turned out to be the best bass fishing I have expirenced thus far. So I am saying newbies that come on here with the mentality of taken all the pennies from the container are the ones that get flammed.

hmm im gonna have to see that map ijay lol

#31 Kleiner

Kleiner

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 266 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 12:33 PM

You didnt come on here say "I am new, where is the fish" Thru different conversations you have witnessed and red you have found knowledge in it. When I refer to the newbies I am saying these guys that come on here saying "Are the salmon in the west tribs yet???" you can be a newb or a long time member.

I think if everyone was to treat this board as a "take a penny, leave a penny" container people would be alot happier. Meaning, sure you don't know about Salmon tell us somehting about bass fishing or some other fish and then we can tell you about Salmon.

Spot on! Take a penny, leave a penny. I like it! I am also a noob to the whole forum thing but I am definately not new to fishing. Just because someone is new to the forum, doesn't mean they are new to fishing, we have to be careful not to scare them away. They may have quite a bit to bring to the table! Even a really experienced angler could always learn something from another.

#32 BASS BUSTER !

BASS BUSTER !

Bass! Pike! Muskie!

• Active Members
  • 672 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 01:10 PM

$

#33 BASS BUSTER !

BASS BUSTER !

Bass! Pike! Muskie!

• Active Members
  • 672 posts