• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 troutddicted

troutddicted

Bouts with trouts

• Moderators
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 05:37 PM

Nothing less than 6 lb test.  Most of the time you have full control of the fish and can rough them around... I can't imagine fighting a fish on 3 lb line...

#22 Mr. Bassturd

Mr. Bassturd

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 285 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 05:53 PM

ya that's what I figured I find 6lb leader is perfect for me as I usually run 8 lb or 10 lb main line. but mind u I haven't caught many steelhead so far just 2 to be exact so i'm not an expert. 

#23 steelhead101

steelhead101

Sunfish

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 05:54 PM

i agree with the above, 3-4lb leaders are just not needed. personally i would go with 6lb or 8lb if the water is a little dirtier, first if you go with a high quality leader like seagaur the diameter will be far smaller than that of say cheap fluorocarbon like trilene or berkley. personally i find smaller roe bags, smaller hooks and having your last shot atleast a foot above your roe bag to be all the stealth you need.

#24 w_ boughner

w_ boughner

Perch

• Active Members
  • 647 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 10:28 PM

If you plan on eating the fish you and go light with your lead 4lb for stealhead but for catch and release I'd go 6-8 lb

#25 GoodenTight

GoodenTight

Steelhead Master

• Active Members
  • 995 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 11:02 PM

personally i find smaller roe bags, smaller hooks and having your last shot atleast a foot above your roe bag to be all the stealth you need.

+1