• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 rayray519

rayray519

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 349 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 12:34 PM

I'm from Waterloo ON, and I have tried a few times to fish the Grand in a few locations.  Haven't found one particular place where its decent.  Can anyone (PM me) any general locations where I might want to try?  I would like to take my 2 boys out this Sunday to try for some decent size, bass, pike, trout? Would a drift/float setup work best as the current is usually pretty quick from what I recall.  

Or if anyone knows of any other places around KW that is good with decent size fish for kids and... dad   :razz:

Thanks!

#2 fishy_slayer

fishy_slayer

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 06:47 PM

Brant haldamin norfolk.

#3 grayer

grayer

Sunfish

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 06:59 PM

Jump into the water! Almost anywhere in the grand there are awesome spots to hit. Even if you guys don't have waders, an old pair of shorts/shoes will do! Some spots the grand is quite shallow, but look for the deep pockets and fish anything with cover. In the grand walking up river any kind of spinner works very well and even some plastics like tubes and craws! Goodluck and let us know how you make out

#4 fishy_slayer

fishy_slayer

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 07:05 PM

Amen

#5 rayray519

rayray519

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 349 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 07:24 PM

Sounds good. I’ll see what I can find. I actually have waders so maybe I'll bring 'em along.

#6 Kit

Kit

Canadian River Angler

• Premium Account

• 1,895 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 08:00 PM

What grayer said is bang on. Honestly you find fish in the grand you gotta get in the water with em. Only way to get some nice fish and it's fun to explore. Once you have honed in on an area and start catching fish I keep a book and write it down some days the fish are there some days there off somewhere else. The days they are not at that spot write it down and make a pattern and to maybe find out what days they actually there. Also make note of the weather as well with times they are there and not there.

Just my 0.2

#7 Clab

Clab

Sunfish

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 08:45 PM

What grayer said is bang on. Honestly you find fish in the grand you gotta get in the water with em. Only way to get some nice fish and it's fun to explore. Once you have honed in on an area and start catching fish I keep a book and write it down some days the fish are there some days there off somewhere else. The days they are not at that spot write it down and make a pattern and to maybe find out what days they actually there. Also make note of the weather as well with times they are there and not there.

Just my 0.2

I have an addition to this. Record wind direction as well if you can. I've found fish in areas with wind from one direction more often then from another direction. Building a small stack of data could save you from hitting spots you know maybe getting blasted by winds allowing you to focus on areas that were good with the wind direction on a specific day. Check conditions before you head out and plan accordingly. This sounds like a lot of work, it pays off.

#8 Kit

Kit

Canadian River Angler

• Premium Account

• 1,895 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 09:42 PM

Yeah if you record everything the weather is doing. It will pay off.

#9 Alfiegee

Alfiegee

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 11:51 PM

Sounds good. I’ll see what I can find. I actually have waders so maybe I'll bring 'em along.

Waders are the way to go. You can get away from areas that get lots of pressure from the shore fishermen. Use google maps and see if you can find places with islands and channels and try those. Places like that can be very productive. Another suggestion, a place that is productive early may get the sun and fish will stop biting, move on to a shadier area and try there.

Alfie.