13 replies to this topic

#1 Gary GnU

Gary GnU

Earthworm

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 11:24 PM

Hello,

I am new to fishing in Ontario - started last year with ice fishing - great hang over - and then tried my luck in Halliburton - 1 small mouth. Now I am searching for SALMON! I grew up on the west coast and trolled for salmon, fished the COHO runs every year as a kid near Capilano River in North Vancouver. Now I am feeling the urge to do it with my daughter and teach her too. We have a had a blast with a few perch and loads of catfish. No luck with Bass as of yet - but I don't have a boat so I am limited and I accept this.

I am in the Bradford area - I would love to catch some salmon. Any suggestions on locations? I have heard near Alliston or a dam? I have tried Port Credit to no avail - although it was one evening and not a soul caught anything off the point nor was I doing anything different from the vets and my tackle was the same.

I love the idea of hitting a river and standing in the water - getting in touch with nature. I last fished in Vancouver and landed two very beautiful Pinks off the shore with my pink 2 oz buzz bomb. I hit up Nanaimo and went out for LingCod - darn these guys big - caught my own bait - Greenling and Flounders using some Octopus. Dropped a few crab traps so all was great - landed a couple dog fish and lost my lines to some monster Lings as they got close to the boat... ehhh ... nest year!

I would very much like to go this week and am willing to collect somebody along the way to join if you need a ride - preferably heading to this dam ... Nicolson?

I have a truck and room for a few to hit the waters. 

Thanks all.

Gary

#2 ChasinTails

ChasinTails

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 07:35 AM

wait till late sept then fish almost any trib, if you see lots of people your in the right place 

#3 CJR

CJR

#RNS

• Active Members
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 07:45 AM

wait till late sept then fish almost any trib, if you see lots of people your in the right place 

120928-2.jpg

#4 Rainbow

Rainbow

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 05:39 PM

not a single salmon bit that day :razz:

#5 steelies

steelies

Sunfish

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 05:52 PM

That's one place I'm never going. I bet each and everyone of those anglers have a very sharp pair of scissors that is readily accessible. Lol

#6 Christopher K

Christopher K

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 995 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 07:38 PM

not a single salmon bit that day :razz:

But lots were landed ;)

#7 AKnook

AKnook

Perch

• Active Members
  • 578 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 01:59 PM

Looks like the Kenai river during sockeye season......What a sh*t show,,

#8 Icehut

Icehut

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 07:50 PM

Teaching a little kid about salmon fishing, I dunno man. Perch, yeah, but salmon... it's a whole pile of casting, and if they actually hook one, yowsah. Work the piers around dawn with glow spoons. Anywhere on Lake Ontario about now you'll have a shot. But it's not a big numbers thing, I've been out about ten times and have one so far, that's a pile of driving, and thousands of casts...

#9 Rainbow

Rainbow

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 09:38 PM

There's more than one way to catch a zombie salmon  :cool:

iY6FMocBZuaYn.gif

#10 Giuga10

Giuga10

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 09:59 PM

There's more than one way to catch a zombie salmon  :cool:

iY6FMocBZuaYn.gif

HOLY CR*P THAT GIF IS AWESOME

#11 Kit

Kit

Canadian River Angler

• Premium Account

• 1,895 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 10:52 PM

OMG thats insane..

120928-2.jpg

#12 steelies

steelies

Sunfish

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 12:54 AM

There's more than one way to catch a zombie salmon :cool:

iY6FMocBZuaYn.gif

There goes the theory that salmon doesn't hit up stream.

#13 cptpronin

cptpronin

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 01:13 PM

Gary, fishing BC has to be awesome!  It's on my bucket list.

Probably like the west coast, its all about the timing.  You have to be there when they are passing through in spurts until the big run.  Its something I still have not gotten the hang of yet.  On Lake O, they come in during the evening for a feedbag.  How close to shore they come to feed depends on a lot of things like wind, water temperature, water levels and all that other hocus pocus.  And just to add to it all, the runs go from eastern shores first to western shores later... so even though some rivers east of Toronto may be running, rivers west of toronto are probably not so hot. 

#14 RiverStevens

RiverStevens

Sunfish

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 06:52 PM

They are on the run now, and I'm a huntin. PM me and we could probably pair up.