• Active Members
  • 867 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 09:30 PM

#42 guest

Smallmouth Bass

• Closed Accounts
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 09:31 PM

brother --you click on any site they give you a show--then ask for your money with zero explanation-here its going for good stuff--the non memebers will be outside the inner circle purposely..not isolated but just not privy to some info about outings--prizes--important ifo raffles etc

#43 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 09:33 PM

brother --you click on any site they give you a show--then ask for your money with zero explanation-here its going for good stuff--the non memebers will be outside the inner circle purposely..not isolated but just not privy to some info about outings--prizes--important ifo raffles etc

exactly my point....i'd be out

#44 guest

Smallmouth Bass

• Closed Accounts
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 09:36 PM

bro its less than 10 bucks--less that a burger meal--I am not being rude but come one we pay more for tippet

#45 troutddicted

troutddicted

Bouts with trouts

• Moderators
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 09:38 PM

thereby making the people who do pay feel like their in an upper class, and thus segregating the forum

If they feel they're an upper class then that is their problem, people change.... this forum wouldn't change at all, everything would stay the same.  I wasn't all excited about this idea in the first place either but there are some good ideas being tossed around that don't sound bad at all. 

#46 guest

Smallmouth Bass

• Closed Accounts
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 09:39 PM

I think it would be more -you have the option to step up--instead of being forced to step down

#47 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 09:41 PM

If they feel they're an upper class then that is their problem, people change.... this forum wouldn't change at all, everything would stay the same.  I wasn't all excited about this idea in the first place either but there are some good ideas being tossed around that don't sound bad at all. 

you say that now....but i gauruntee you that it will, 6 months from the time its implemented.... the minute you start getting money involved, people start to question where its going, and why they aren't seeing more for their investment

#48 FishingNoob

FishingNoob

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 09:48 PM

you say that now....but i gauruntee you that it will, 6 months from the time its implemented.... the minute you start getting money involved, people start to question where its going, and why they aren't seeing more for their investment

I think if we just make it so that you need to be a member to view any posts, would be enough. I agree with JMatt...

#49 Majstor

Majstor

VIP Pro Staff

• Active Members
  • 1,165 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 09:48 PM

if all you're looking to do is get rid of the lurkers, make the board private, an have a post limit, if you're looking to generate revenue to support the site fees, have a donation option.  if you go to a payed membership, then you're also talking about having to have someone claim the membership fees as part of their income tax

i didn't even read from page 1 but i agree with this guy ^^^

Lets make a vote on who would actually want to pay. i for one would not.

#50 troutddicted

troutddicted

Bouts with trouts

• Moderators
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 09:50 PM

I would imagine that would be the case JMatt and I'm sure everything would be laid out, I'd want to see where my money goes as well.

#51 FishingNoob

FishingNoob

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 09:51 PM

i didn't even read from page 1 but i agree with this guy ^^^

Lets make a vote on who would actually want to pay. i for one would not.

Not. I would be fine if the admins started a donation system for those that want to help openfire pay for the site, but payed membership is not good in my opinion.

#52 getin

getin

Perch

• Active Members
  • 659 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 09:53 PM

When there was a private report section here, once on water i overheard these two guys. One was telling the other that he posted a fake report on this website and got access to numerous spots. That is how i learned one of honeholes known to me and a few others got invaded by trollers.

The best solution i think is: if you dont want the world know about it, don't post it.
I only share spots with those I feel comfortable with via pm only and sometimes a spot in exchange for one

#53 FishingNoob

FishingNoob

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 09:54 PM

I only share spots with those I feel comfortable with via pm only and sometimes a spot in exchange for one

This is what I do.

#54 troutddicted

troutddicted

Bouts with trouts

• Moderators
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 10:08 PM

Just to be clear, OFF isn't becoming a paid membership forum.

How about this scenario - there would be this club - who ever wants to join, joins.  The club would have perks, whatever they may be ( discounted items in stores, monthly draws, etc. )  The cost is minimal, who knows... $5 - $25.  The money generated goes into the perks, the raffles, the freebies, etc.  You want to participate, totally up to you.  There would be a members only sub forum, maybe not.  I think a forum like that would be part of the package ( as mentioned earlier, like some of the other sites have setup ).  Some money would go into making OFF bigger and better?  More space for photos? I don't know how all the technical stuff works.  What if the club got together and made some sort of "Take Your Kid Fishing Day" or money goes into a local program that already exists.  Heck I'd love to donate 100 bucks to T.U. or CRAA but I'm on a budget.  Again, this is all in its infancy and we want feedback from people.

#55 guest

Smallmouth Bass

• Closed Accounts
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 10:08 PM

the mods will be implored to assure no changes ti this site--but a monthy draw and a day trip for the paid members would be enough justification not to mention unpaid memebers would probable be invited through friendship and knowledge of the trip--which wold not be an issue however just no raffles, prizes or special perks...its like biggie sizing your meal its all fast food man.....

#56 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 10:25 PM

2 words, donation button, as for raffles, say if mr robh wants to put an item up for a draw, you put a button on the side or where ever, who ever wants in the draw buys raffle tickets, once the value of the item is reached, a date for the draw is set

#57 fishing with a fly

fishing with a fly

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 10:29 PM

i see both sides of this story and if there was a members plus section i think i would pay for instence you could have simms do custom off hats or a t shirt or something and the mods should recive some compensation for what they do i think were ways away from it ever being implamented but it does have some good points

#58 fishing with a fly

fishing with a fly

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 10:31 PM

2 words, donation button, as for raffles, say if mr robh wants to put an item up for a draw, you put a button on the side or where ever, who ever wants in the draw buys raffle tickets, once the value of the item is reached, a date for the draw is set

jmatt its a great idea but the number of people who would donate would be very small would you ? and not really get anything in return i cant say i would

#59 guest

Smallmouth Bass

• Closed Accounts
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 10:32 PM

not to mention on the side of the members a bit of remuneration for the MODS would push them to not only drive things in the right direction but also pay PWADM to make this site a rocketship

#60 Avid Angler

Avid Angler

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 10:33 PM

I would not pay to use this forum.
I also do not believe that having a private "paying members only" section would be beneficial in any way. I believe that the community would break down and that it would be torn apart. The non-payers would be discussing with the other non-payers. The payers would be discussing the other payers... Sounds a little cliquey if you ask me.
People just need to follow the rules when describing their fishing spots. Want to share the location openly to someone? Send a PM..

If this change happens, I think it will cause the forum to crash and burn.

Just my opinion.