Posted 05 September 2013 - 10:34 PM

Great idea on the buy in lottery. 

#62 FishingNoob

FishingNoob

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 10:36 PM

For me it's not about the money. It's about what the money would do.

#63 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

I would not pay to use this forum.
I also do not believe that having a private "paying members only" section would be beneficial in any way. I believe that the community would break down and that it would be torn apart. The non-payers would be discussing with the other non-payers. The payers would be discussing the other payers... Sounds a little cliquey if you ask me.
People just need to follow the rules when describing their fishing spots. Want to share the location openly to someone? Send a PM..

If this change happens, I think it will cause the forum to crash and burn.

Just my opinion.

yep....you'd get the 'im a apaying member so my opinion is better than yours' attitude

#64 guest

Smallmouth Bass

• Closed Accounts
  • 1,325 posts

go out with a hardcore flyfisherman that's cliquey. same thing-we all come together now--and nobody is listening to the point its not a step down its the option for a step up--same forums--just a penthouse option...prizes and extra--on top of what is already here--EVERYONE should be able to speak but certain draws and events will only go out to the paying memebers

#65 fishing with a fly

fishing with a fly

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 10:39 PM

so with 5500 member but only 160 with more then 300 post to me that already sounds pretty cliquey to me most people join get what they want or come on when they need to troll for info i think if we had a pay area it couldnt hurt like even 25.00 a year thats nothing but with the chance for prizes and stuff like that why not pay alittle bit

#66 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 10:40 PM

so lets jsut pretend im going to pay, and theres a members only event, is my membership fee going to pay for the gas money for me to get said event? or the hotel room/food, doubt it

#67 guest

Smallmouth Bass

• Closed Accounts
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 10:43 PM

dude if you pay for a first class flight do they pick you up and bring you to the airport--buy into a high stakes poker tourney--they aint picking you up 00thats just the pay to play price man

#68 guest

Smallmouth Bass

• Closed Accounts
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 10:43 PM

this isn't a scholarship its a memebership to extra options

#69 Avid Angler

Avid Angler

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 10:44 PM

If everyone can speak, then everyone should be invited to an event.
Only the folks with some spare pocket change would be able to go to the events I guess. Because I know I sure as heck wouldn't put subscribing to a fishing forum into my monthly budget.

Have the event... Give the option to pay to join the event as you enter the event wherever/whenever it is. Post the event into a section where only members can view it. Easy as that. No need to have Internet subscriptions.

#70 guest

Smallmouth Bass

• Closed Accounts
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 10:46 PM

all should be welcome just not in the prize pool ...

#71 ChaseChrome

ChaseChrome

Banned

• Banned
  • 2,448 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 10:51 PM

Think Remy is baiting you all...

:ph34r: 

#72 guest

Smallmouth Bass

• Closed Accounts
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 10:52 PM

not at all man.

#73 Diana Danger

Diana Danger

Steel Bunny

• Active Members
  • 893 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 10:52 PM

Why not donate money to go towards creating a more functional site that provides us with exactly what want?   Better privacy, exclusive forum topics, members only sections, etc..... Why not just build it?

#74 guest

Smallmouth Bass

• Closed Accounts
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 10:54 PM

dontations don't work--ou end up with site owners ith a lot of great ideas and 147 dollars in a wicker basket...

#75 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 10:56 PM

this pay to play thing, no, its not needed, and several people have now expressed it as not wanted, you keep promising these things, but what happens if people sign up, and when they see its not worth it, they drop out, what then? why is there this need all of sudden for a payed section? you can do everything you just said with out the need for a paid section.

#76 eric

eric

Sunfish

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 10:56 PM

NAY, i find no need for privatize things. 
donations or sponsorships? most forums have that and its cool. you get a free sticker mug or shirt.

there are only SOOOO many places to fish up here. its not a secret.

this isnt like the ocean where you have sunken wrecks or dropoffs that always hold fish.

just increase the minimum post count to have access to subforums.
that will weed out alot of trolls. because they dont and wont frequently involve themselves in a forum.

to meet up, i rather use meetup.com . and find groups with similar interest for free instead.  

#77 Diana Danger

Diana Danger

Steel Bunny

• Active Members
  • 893 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 10:58 PM

Creating a functional site is so easy 'brother'....too easy, in fact.   Membership fees are perpetual, a one time pay pall donation is much more saleable.

#78 Giuga10

Giuga10

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 10:59 PM

i didn't even read from page 1 but i agree with this guy ^^^

Lets make a vote on who would actually want to pay. i for one would not.

I definitely wouldn't pay. Great site but, not gonna pay to get a membership on a forum, I'd rather spend that money other ways. Plus think about all of the politics that would be involved, when money starts getting tossed around, there's enough tension as is on this forum, money would start a lot of conflicts.

I think were all just getting too technical, and were not remembering what a fishing forum is all about.

Were here to to talk about and discuss fishing, not start a country club. Were trying to work around issues instead of taking them on, if were worried about lurkers that much, we should start a thread about implementing new features to better protect the information on this forum, not start a members only area, this would just discourage potential new members. For a start, we can have post limits for different sections, general discussion can only open after a welcome post, then off topic, buy and sell, and diy can open after 5 posts, then GTA fishing can open after 20 ect ect... This would keep members motivated to keep posting, to try to reach their next section unlock and by the time they unlock the majority or all of the sections they will probably have gained a liking of the forum and stick around.

Just my 2 cents..

#79 fishing with a fly

fishing with a fly

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 11:00 PM

ok so we up the post count to 300 to be able to read the sub forums thats 160 people who can read it out of 5500 members i think it should be put to a poll

#80 guest

Smallmouth Bass

• Closed Accounts
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 11:06 PM

if you are referring to me I am not promising anything its only suggestions--of what it should and what most pay sites do...JMATT its an option not a mandate--you can stay exactly where you are with exactly what you have--otherwise you pay and get prizes and get in on trips paid for in part by the money generated by the membership fees. its a simple concept one of which a billion sites of every genre already do..