• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 Basschaser

Basschaser

Sunfish

• Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 11:24 PM

From Sept 5 - 15, everything fishing is 15% off at Sail.

#2 Rainbow

Rainbow

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 12:35 AM

Sweet.

#3 ChasinTails

ChasinTails

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 07:15 AM

Thanks man got to check out out

#4 iJay

iJay

Hero Drift

• Active Members
  • 830 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 08:40 AM

Am I the only person that find Sail rediculously priced? went in there Twice, even compared to BP they are at least 20% more expensive.

#5 Diana Danger

Diana Danger

Steel Bunny

• Active Members
  • 893 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 10:04 AM

ijay

#6 Diana Danger

Diana Danger

Steel Bunny

• Active Members
  • 893 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 10:06 AM

Am I the only person that find Sail rediculously priced? went in there Twice, even compared to BP they are at least 20% more expensive.

You are probably right but BP is so far away, I never get a chance to go there. 

#7 fishing with a fly

fishing with a fly

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 10:06 AM

ijay speaking from a fly fsihing only stand point there way better priced then bps and way better slection too

#8 fishing89

fishing89

Perch

• Active Members
  • 582 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 10:17 AM

Sail is like 5 minutes from BP....

Been there once, not that great of a selection.

I work right next to BP....so most of my money goes there lol

#9 iJay

iJay

Hero Drift

• Active Members
  • 830 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 10:21 AM

MRF- Not too sure about that. BP has that whole section for just fly fishing "Fly shop" from what I saw at the Sail I was at n queensway there was an upper level off to a corner that was all fishing stuff with very little fly selection.

Right from Canoes to Hydrapacks, I was shocked. When I went into sail I was looking for a hydrapack/camelpack for the up comming caribana parade. Thier cheapest was like $50 the same prodcut is regularlly priced @ CT for $29.99.

Canoes' the pricing is out to lunch, $1000 for a canoe that at other stores were $650-700.

Perhaps just that specific location, I much rather BP if I have to shop for this stuff, there is a ton of things to look at outside of fishing and best part of it, it is geared towards family shopping. My 2 year old can't get at most of the fishing rods when he sees em.

Sorry to thread jack!

#10 iJay

iJay

Hero Drift

• Active Members
  • 830 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 10:23 AM

Not to mention the staff that is hired on at BP, at least in the fishing section have a solid knowledge of the gear they are selling.The fly guy, knew exactly what he should sell me and even offered pointers.

I had a couple questions about roe that BP sold and how to rig it, person at BP knew exactly what I was asking about and had the answers.

At Sail, the person at the counter was that of a "wal mart" approach.

#11 fishing with a fly

fishing with a fly

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 10:24 AM

ya they do but unless you want to 90% white river i agree it looks better but sail has way more product and better prices

#12 iJay

iJay

Hero Drift

• Active Members
  • 830 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 10:32 AM

fair enough.

#13 fishing with a fly

fishing with a fly

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 10:33 AM

at the sail in vaughan the guys who work the in the fishing dept most have a knoweldge of fly fishing and the equipment and fly fish and are very poilte and friendly as where i walk in to bps and the guys dont say hi and all you hear about is that the one guy did a 30 spot on the weather network anyway who cares really we all have a preference to where we buy mine is wilsons sail just happens to be easier for me to get to

#14 eric

eric

Sunfish

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 10:34 AM

most of my monies go to US tackle stores like tackledirect, or offshore to japan or the UK.  lol
you guys need look at goods outside of canada   :D

the only thing i bought locally are spro swivels because i ran out. lol

#15 iJay

iJay

Hero Drift

• Active Members
  • 830 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 10:41 AM

^

u need a lesson on local economies.

While I myself do spend money in the USA, most of it is on clothes once or twice a year. Its an unhealthy practice for the small population of 35million in Canada.  316million in the USA means we have 10% of the buying power.

#16 eric

eric

Sunfish

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 10:45 AM

i know my economics. 
the govt already takes enough HST to cover alot of things.

but im sure you dont mind when you shop there,,  heh  just the amount you saved, its alot  :D

its best you if shop online when you go down there. shop and mail stuff from other states and pay no taxes  ;D)))  more savings.

but clothes are the best. fly there with an empty luggage case and come back with it full.  

#17 iJay

iJay

Hero Drift

• Active Members
  • 830 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 10:53 AM

I don't go thtat crazy about clothes, usually day trips to Buffalo. I cannot justfy paying $80 for a nautica polo in canada when I buy em for $20 or less in buffalo. I refuse to shop anything but in the US or Canada. China being the worst of all.

Take an american/cdn product basturdize it and sell it back to us for 1/3 the price and poop quailty.

#18 GaryC

GaryC

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 12:02 PM

I work in Vaughan and if I had to choose between BP or Sail I would pick Sail.  BP's Fly Fishing department is quite sad everytime I go in there.  It seems the guys are just hating life and don't even want to serve me.  The reel departments isn't much better, asked the guy what he recommended for trout fishing and was told out right he only does bass and trout is a waste of his time.  Started going on about how he's a professional bass tournament fisherman.  Sail are pretty nice if you can get a hold of a guy.

About pricing only.

For the flies I usually buy, BP has them for 2.99 while Sail usually has them for 1.99.  I usually go to Lebaron because they sell them for 1.49.

#19 NADO

NADO

Unaccomplished Steelheader

• Moderators
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 12:15 PM

I like Sail way more than BPS. I find their pricing to be very similar but the big difference is that when Sail has a sale, its actually a sale. The sales at BPS are a joke. I was in Sail yesterday and there were some stellar savings to be had. The fishing industry doesn't have sales very often, getting 15% off is pretty darn good.

#20 fishing with a fly

fishing with a fly

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 12:24 PM

I work in Vaughan and if I had to choose between BP or Sail I would pick Sail.  BP's Fly Fishing department is quite sad everytime I go in there.  It seems the guys are just hating life and don't even want to serve me.  The reel departments isn't much better, asked the guy what he recommended for trout fishing and was told out right he only does bass and trout is a waste of his time.  Started going on about how he's a professional bass tournament fisherman.  Sail are pretty nice if you can get a hold of a guy.

About pricing only.

For the flies I usually buy, BP has them for 2.99 while Sail usually has them for 1.99.  I usually go to Lebaron because they sell them for 1.49.

gary if your looking for flies only go to reelflies.ca way better price and slection