• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#21 CDNChrome

CDNChrome

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 10:54 AM

Ive been using Seaguar Abrazex for a while, its great on the wallet and i bend open hooks so I know its strong. Also used the 10# Seaguar Blue Label for salmon this year and its been amazing so far. I'm also a big fan of Drennan but the important thing to note with Drennan is 4# is really 6# and 6# is 8#. Its just a genius marketing ploy by them to under rate the line strength. People will say that they use 4# drennan and never break fish off....well that's because they are really using 6#. Drennan is great, but don't be fooled! lol

NADO, thanks for the heads up. I can honestly say I've learned a lot from joining this forum, reviewing line thicknesses was one of them. This is a great point which many people don't consider.

#22 NADO

NADO

Unaccomplished Steelheader

• Moderators
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 11:01 AM

I always laugh at myself when I size down by switching from my 6lb seaguar to 4lb drennan lol. But I still do it anyways!

#23 buck

buck

Perch

• Active Members
  • 867 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 11:05 AM

#24 fishing89

fishing89

Perch

• Active Members
  • 582 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 11:08 AM

Looking at the line diameters, "leader material" are much thicker, and therefore are rated lower in terms of lbs they can hold....just like NADO said.

I have used raven fluro leaders before when I first started, but spending $12 for 30yards of fluro leader that was same lbs yet thicker..didnt make sense to me.Thats why I wont use drennan, nothing against their quality (they have amazing floats and other equipment) but its extremely overpriced because regular good quality fluro does the same job.

Seaguar INVENTED flurocarbon, their line is made in Japan, and the abrazx line is specially treated for extra abrasion resistance, JUST like the raven and drennan fluro leaders. Yet a 200 yard spool costs $25, and will last you a lifetime of fishing.

Ive had to cut my line because I got it stuck under a log and the 8lb leader I had on would not snap or greak no matter how hard I tried (obviously trying not to snap the rod in the process)

#25 buck

buck

Perch

• Active Members
  • 867 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 11:13 AM

Looking at the line diameters, "leader material" are much thicker, and therefore are rated lower in terms of lbs they can hold....just like NADO said.

I have used raven fluro leaders before when I first started, but spending $12 for 30yards of fluro leader that was same lbs yet thicker..didnt make sense to me.Thats why I wont use drennan, nothing against their quality (they have amazing floats and other equipment) but its extremely overpriced because regular good quality fluro does the same job.

Seaguar INVENTED flurocarbon, their line is made in Japan, and the abrazx line is specially treated for extra abrasion resistance, JUST like the raven and drennan fluro leaders. Yet a 200 yard spool costs $25, and will last you a lifetime of fishing.

Ive had to cut my line because I got it stuck under a log and the 8lb leader I had on would not snap or greak no matter how hard I tried (obviously trying not to snap the rod in the process)

#26 CJR

CJR

#RNS

• Active Members
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 11:50 AM

^^ 

How would you break your rod? If you straighten it the rod out, and pull it backwards the line should snap? 

#27 fishing89

fishing89

Perch

• Active Members
  • 582 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 11:59 AM

Sorry for the unclear part lol. The seaguar wouldn't break. As for the rod I was trying to shake it loose, having a new 14' I wasn't used to it yet, pulling back was hard as I was in the thick shurbs...so I just cut it, much easier

#28 buck

buck

Perch

• Active Members
  • 867 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 12:04 PM

#29 fishing89

fishing89

Perch

• Active Members
  • 582 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 12:16 PM

should have. But from past experience, It always break off at the leader, usually the knot that connects leader to the swivel.

I started using the improved clinch knot, working a lot better for me.

Also, the palomar knot is INCREDIBLE! been holing those hooks on like  a beast.

#30 buck

buck

Perch

• Active Members
  • 867 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 12:21 PM

#31 rayray519

rayray519

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 349 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 12:22 PM

Is 12lb mono too heavy for a mainline for steelhead?  or would 10lb mono be better (for knot tying) 

#32 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 12:27 PM

Ive been using Seaguar Abrazex for a while, its great on the wallet and i bend open hooks so I know its strong. Also used the 10# Seaguar Blue Label for salmon this year and its been amazing so far. I'm also a big fan of Drennan but the important thing to note with Drennan is 4# is really 6# and 6# is 8#. Its just a genius marketing ploy by them to under rate the line strength. People will say that they use 4# drennan and never break fish off....well that's because they are really using 6#. Drennan is great, but don't be fooled! lol

hmm this pretty much a good observation. trout opening my #12 hook bends before my "6 lb test" line breaks...

#33 buck

buck

Perch

• Active Members
  • 867 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 12:28 PM

#34 NADO

NADO

Unaccomplished Steelheader

• Moderators
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 01:46 PM

12lb is fine but there is no need for it unless you are going to be using 10lb lead. Right now I have my pin spooled with 12lb for salmon since im using 10lb leads. Once the steel comes that will switch to 10lb with 4-8lb leads.

#35 fishing89

fishing89

Perch

• Active Members
  • 582 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 02:51 PM

I was using 12lb mono as main before, even for steel, and worked fine with 6lb lead.

Now i switched to 10lb main and 8lb lead..works incredible! I can see the fish chasing as opposed to moving away from the line.

Greatly depends on your rod. My main reason for switching from 12 to 10 is that my gf got me a 14' IM8 rod. Therefore the rod will do most of the work, 10lb main is perfect. Before I had a 9'6 Rod, so i had to use a little heavier line to compensate for less bend.

#36 CJR

CJR

#RNS

• Active Members
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 03:57 PM

I was using 12lb mono as main before, even for steel, and worked fine with 6lb lead.

Now i switched to 10lb main and 8lb lead..works incredible! I can see the fish chasing as opposed to moving away from the line.

Greatly depends on your rod. My main reason for switching from 12 to 10 is that my gf got me a 14' IM8 rod. Therefore the rod will do most of the work, 10lb main is perfect. Before I had a 9'6 Rod, so i had to use a little heavier line to compensate for less bend.

I had to switch to 8lb drennan leader which is basically 10lb of everything else yesterday, I kept blowing up that 8lb raven on fish on that same rod.  

#37 acmarou

acmarou

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 04:03 PM

Drennan

#38 ChasinTails

ChasinTails

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 04:10 PM

whats with everyone and drennan  :?: 

#39 NiagaraSteel

NiagaraSteel

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 05:32 PM

Seaguar

The palomar sucks for saving leader material. It's hard not to lose 3 inches + of line.

#40 fishing89

fishing89

Perch

• Active Members
  • 582 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 12:01 AM

Seaguar

The palomar sucks for saving leader material. It's hard not to lose 3 inches + of line.

Yep, thats why I buy a 200yard spool of quality seaguar and take all the line I need to make a perfect palomar knot. They really do work!