• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#61 Hasegawa

Hasegawa

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 12:47 AM

I'm using Sufix 6lb  fluorocarbon and it works great, 33yds  for 6$ ...NOT BAD ;)

#62 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 12:54 AM

4.4lb redwing phantom fc...$6 55yds...i'm alright with it.

#63 BowSlayer

BowSlayer

Perch

• Active Members
  • 895 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 01:12 AM

seaguar 8 lb red label for salmon, 4 lb blue label for steelies, 6 lb for fall steelies.

#64 TRINIBOY

TRINIBOY

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 02:11 PM

4.4lb redwing phantom fc...$6 55yds...i'm alright with it.

Great leader line got onto the redwing phantom from a buddy and never looked back. Lines the bomb and strong as hell I've have my 8lb main fail before the 5.5 leader line.

#65 PDG

PDG

Sunfish

• Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 02:58 PM

strong as hell I've have my 8lb main fail before the 5.5 leader line.

you don't want that to happen 

#66 CanadianAngler87

CanadianAngler87

Perch

• Active Members
  • 915 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 05:43 PM

I use 6-8lbs Maxima from Crappy Tire I actually prefer it over most brands and is made in Germany!IMG_20131109_164454.jpg

#67 Swing4Steel

Swing4Steel

Swing and float

• Active Members
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 08:07 PM

That maxima is.good stuff. Save the mini spools and when They run out, sail and lebarons carry big spools of.the same stuff

#68 GoodenTight

GoodenTight

Steelhead Master

• Active Members
  • 995 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 12:52 PM

Just reading this thread now. I only ever analyzed line strength when I first got into steeling couple years ago. The maxima stuff is crap. I started using drennan and never went back.

I roll with raven hi vis 10# for mainline and dreenan 8# for kings and 5-6# for steel.

Makes sense when I would snap off the odd time above the swivel with my 8# for kings then.

anyway, drennan for life. I dont care if I pay a bit more for it. I never ever snap off fish on it. Watch, now I will this evening.

#69 CanadianAngler87

CanadianAngler87

Perch

• Active Members
  • 915 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 01:19 PM

Hmm I find maxima pretty good landed lots of fish on it and I only use 6lb. Even used it on the big huron trib the other day when I was advised to go heavier and it held it just fine. Didnt even lose a hook to a snag..

#70 redneckchromer

redneckchromer

Perch

• Active Members
  • 723 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 01:21 PM

Just reading this thread now. I only ever analyzed line strength when I first got into steeling couple years ago. The maxima stuff is crap. I started using drennan and never went back.

I roll with raven hi vis 10# for mainline and dreenan 8# for kings and 5-6# for steel.

Makes sense when I would snap off the odd time above the swivel with my 8# for kings then.

anyway, drennan for life. I dont care if I pay a bit more for it. I never ever snap off fish on it. Watch, now I will this evening.

^^^^ this.  drennan all day ery day  :cool:

#71 NADO

NADO

Unaccomplished Steelheader

• Moderators
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 02:55 PM

Ive used alot of different leader brands and haven't found an issue with any of them. I think sometimes coincidence or a bad day turns people off of a brand of leader material but for the most part I think they are all good.

I have used Seaguar Abrazex, Seaguar Blue Label, Phantom, Drennan, Pline Fluro Clear and i'm sure there are a few I cant think of right now.

Basically I take a 2' section of the leader, wrap it around my hands and try to break it. If my hands start to hurt too much before the leader breaks then its good in my books.

Hmm I find maxima pretty good landed lots of fish on it and I only use 6lb. Even used it on the big huron trib the other day when I was advised to go heavier and it held it just fine. Didnt even lose a hook to a snag..

lol ya, u just lost a rod to a snag!!  JK lol

#72 DitchWizard

DitchWizard

Perch

• Active Members
  • 693 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 03:12 PM

I tried drennan for the first time this fall and was impressed with it. I did although find it incredibly underrated, I found the #5 could contend with #8 seagar blue label I like to run. The drennan may even be stronger. 

#73 CanadianAngler87

CanadianAngler87

Perch

• Active Members
  • 915 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 08:12 PM

lol ya, u just lost a rod to a snag!! JK lol

Shhh lol we dont talk about that..

#74 Swing4Steel

Swing4Steel

Swing and float

• Active Members
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 08:48 PM

Cmon tell the story!

#75 Captain Barty

Captain Barty

Sunfish

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 06:57 PM

I still use maxima don't really see a reason to switch.... Has treated me well. Same with my good old trusty Ande mainline. Never let me down.

#76 bski48

bski48

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 07:52 PM

An interesting topic, I've definitely been searching around but recently been universally running Seagar (Blue Label, FluroClear) 8lb, it did great in the fall on the chinooks, breaking hooks before line. Last year I had a few bad breaks last winter with it so I went over to Raven thinking there was an issue with the cold water and the tippit, but after running it thus far in the fall, including the last two -7 days it's held true. Big issue I found in the spring especially with the Raven is that it was really thick. Comparing the Raven 5.4lb to my Seagar 8lb the Raven tippit looked thicker and more visible. As a result I had better success running an 8lb line than a <6lb. Price is respectable too for a tough line, usually in the 30 yds for $12. 

#77 LordMykiss

LordMykiss

Perch

• Active Members
  • 851 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 01:09 AM

Ive used alot of different leader brands and haven't found an issue with any of them. I think sometimes coincidence or a bad day turns people off of a brand of leader material but for the most part I think they are all good.

I have used Seaguar Abrazex, Seaguar Blue Label, Phantom, Drennan, Pline Fluro Clear and i'm sure there are a few I cant think of right now.

Basically I take a 2' section of the leader, wrap it around my hands and try to break it. If my hands start to hurt too much before the leader breaks then its good in my books.

x2

An interesting topic, I've definitely been searching around but recently been universally running Seagar (Blue Label, FluroClear) 8lb, it did great in the fall on the chinooks, breaking hooks before line. Last year I had a few bad breaks last winter with it so I went over to Raven thinking there was an issue with the cold water and the tippit, but after running it thus far in the fall, including the last two -7 days it's held true. Big issue I found in the spring especially with the Raven is that it was really thick. Comparing the Raven 5.4lb to my Seagar 8lb the Raven tippit looked thicker and more visible. As a result I had better success running an 8lb line than a <6lb. Price is respectable too for a tough line, usually in the 30 yds for $12. 

well shop for leader by diameter not poundage. follow IGFA diameters and any leader you buy should be roughly as strong as the IGFA standard's diameter. regardless of what the packages rated it for.

also what rod you use has a HUGE impact on the leader you should be using. i landed 22lb salmon on a 4.5 raven with an ultra light rod. put a full  boot to it. could not of done the same lets say with a fast rod.

fluorocarbon leaders are all the same diameter per diameter. seagar is the cheapest overall. they have a new 100 yard one for 13 bucks. raven has not let me down in any poundage yet. most the time i lose fish, it is my own fault with knots.

#78 Ibstacle

Ibstacle

Sunfish

• Members
  • 241 posts

Posted 08 April 2017 - 12:51 PM

I only use redwing tackle Phantom 100% fluorocarbon leader material. It comes in 50m spools in sizes: 3.3#, 4.4#, 5.6#, 6.6#, 7.6#, and 8.8#. It is very strong, and very affordable. In my opinion, this is the best stuff on the market. 

500-0.jpg

#79 Matt Rickles

Matt Rickles

Sunfish

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 08 April 2017 - 01:12 PM

I have a hard time finding the 7 and 8 ## phantom. I would use the heaviest possible flurocarbon i could get away with.
Good info here guys !!