• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Hucho Hucho

Hucho Hucho

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 494 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:46 AM

I have question for you guys. I will go now and then for salmon when they hit the rivers just to scratch an itch before steelhead. I practice C&R 100%. I noticed in last couple outings that people will release chinook and keep coho. WHY IS THAT?

Thank you.

#2 JFish

JFish

Earthworm

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 10:03 AM

I don't eat anything from Lake Ontario (personal preferance) so I wouldn't know about their individual table fare, however, i'm wondering if maybe these people think they are steelhead. Or maybe they think they are younger salmon which in turn should then taste better????

#3 CJR

CJR

#RNS

• Active Members
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 10:08 AM

No idea, the only time I've seen people keep coho is for the eggs.  

#4 Hucho Hucho

Hucho Hucho

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 494 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 10:32 AM

After i got one Tuesday guy was saying it is a rainbow it is rainbow :) it was about 10lb and yes it did look like steelhed from far but guys was saying that even after i had it in my arms taking picture. :)  That would probably be one of the reasons.

#5 staffman

staffman

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 12:23 PM

Some keep anything and everything.

#6 GoodenTight

GoodenTight

Steelhead Master

• Active Members
  • 995 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 12:52 PM

People think they are bows man. I posted one a month ago on here and alot of members even thought it was a bow... lol.

Mine was chrome in the lake , 6.5 lbs so I kept it and ate it and it was delicious. I very rarely keep one to eat.