• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#1 Constantino

Constantino

Sunfish

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 05:34 PM

Picture a peaceful day on your favorite steelhead stream at first light. The slow trickle of the stream on a cold nov morning. Suddenly the river erupts someone's into one. Out comes the dreaded black garbage bag . Now picture the sound of a ten pound bow gasping its last breath against the dark plastic. To often on this forum I have viewed posts of stringers of bass. People talking about keeping fish for mounting purposes. This is not the 60's. We have already seen a huge decline in our sport fishery . We are the keepers of our sport not the mnr and their stocking programs and slot limits. Put them back and let our children and generations to come enjoy this great fishery of ours.

#2 buck

buck

Perch

• Active Members
  • 867 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 05:38 PM

#3 FishingNoob

FishingNoob

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 05:55 PM

Wow...

#4 Clab

Clab

Sunfish

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 06:05 PM

Can't help but feel this is aimed at someone in particular. Uncalled for. Totally.

#5 Bug_Slinger

Bug_Slinger

Sunfish

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 06:14 PM

are we talking southern Onatrio region? Cause when I go to the cottage 8 hours north west from T.O there's an abundance of fish to be had. Year after year, stringer after stringer and I still catch fish steady all day long  :mrgreen: ... I have not observed a decline instead a growing population of multi species within the lakes & rivers up that way... Guess it really depends on the fishing pressure the body of water receives

#6 buck

buck

Perch

• Active Members
  • 867 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 06:14 PM

Can't help but feel this is aimed at someone in particular. Uncalled for. Totally.

#7 Constantino

Constantino

Sunfish

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 06:43 PM

Iam not speaking about an 8 hour drive. Iam talking about hitching your boat and driving an hour and a half to any lake north of Toronto and limiting out on walleye in the 6 pound range try and pull that magic trick today. Or how about a short drive through the back roads just north of the city catching speckled trout worthy of posting pictures on any forum . Or the many trout streams east and west of the city which hosted legendary runs of steelhead. Why is it you think we cloak the names of these tributaries today. Of course there are more people fishing today. Of course the fishing pressure is greater. Pressured fish are harder to catch fine with me. But you can't catch what isn't there it's what we do with those pressured fish that makes a difference. This is not a personal attack. But if anyone feels that way that is the purpose of this post

#8 Constantino

Constantino

Sunfish

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 06:44 PM

Iam not speaking about an 8 hour drive. Iam talking about hitching your boat and driving an hour and a half to any lake north of Toronto and limiting out on walleye in the 6 pound range try and pull that magic trick today. Or how about a short drive through the back roads just north of the city catching speckled trout worthy of posting pictures on any forum . Or the many trout streams east and west of the city which hosted legendary runs of steelhead. Why is it you think we cloak the names of these tributaries today. Of course there are more people fishing today. Of course the fishing pressure is greater. Pressured fish are harder to catch fine with me. But you can't catch what isn't there it's what we do with those pressured fish that makes a difference. This is not a personal attack. But if anyone feels that way that is the purpose of this post

#9 fishing with a fly

fishing with a fly

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 06:50 PM

Man thank you for postin this in the greater Gta you are right the pressure for tribs are greater then ever if love to see a c&r on all rivers it's never gonna happen but a guy can dream

#10 hamiltonangler94

hamiltonangler94

Smallmouth Fanatic

• Active Members
  • 1,060 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 07:05 PM

I can't speak for the GTA cuz I don't live or fish there, but thankfully there are some places I fish where the fishing has actually improved. Mostly because less pollution and efforts for stocking. Its very good to see

#11 Kit

Kit

Canadian River Angler

• Premium Account

• 1,895 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 07:14 PM

This area has tons of fish, just gotta go find em.

#12 fishing with a fly

fishing with a fly

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 07:22 PM

Ya not tons of trout though especially resi trout some of the numbers of wild fish are starting to decline

#13 Kit

Kit

Canadian River Angler

• Premium Account

• 1,895 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 07:44 PM

Well trout wise not really going to find em down here that are wild/not stocked, there are a few rivers that have em and I mean a few and they are not very big sized at all..

I usually go north and fish the hundreds of lakes that hold tons or bows and bass that have never been fished by anyone but me and a few buddies at his hunt camp.

#14 fishing with a fly

fishing with a fly

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 07:47 PM

I agree but we need to maintain those wild stocks and I've fished rivers that have special regs and t doesn't stop people and you call the mnr but odds are there response time is at best forever so it's hard for them to catch them unless they are patrolling the area

#15 cptpronin

cptpronin

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 07:55 PM

Personally I like to bring home a pike for the dinner table every now and then.  I will keep a salmon or two in the fall.  I love bringing home stringers of crappie, but I never take more than my household can eat in one or two sittings.

I think its important to exercise conservation, but it is ok if somebody wants to bring one home for dinner.  Its when people bring home more than they can eat and the fish sits in the freezer wasting away.  That is a waste of a resource.  Want a Sunday fish dinner?  By all means go out there and bring home a couple good sized walleye for the family, or a couple rainbows you caught at the cottage.  Just do not bring home more than you can eat.

#16 guest

Smallmouth Bass

• Closed Accounts
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 08:00 PM

fantastic post however pointless--there will always be narrow minded that think there is plenty-until its gone we are like locusts...sad reall

#17 fishing with a fly

fishing with a fly

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 08:11 PM

Ya in certain cases there right but when you look at stocks of brook trout and wild brown trout species like that there numbers are down and should be protected even steelhead should be c&r in the rivers with the Explosion of river fishing weather it w pinning or on the fly there are bad apples who continue to rape the rivers and take there limit everytime they go fishing witch is legal and in Theory nothing wrong with it but if everybody took there limit we would be in real trouble the Lake Ontario tribs are already stocked with alot of fish per year will it always be treated as a put and take Resource or can we make it a no kill fishery or even lower Possession limits so some one can take home one fish

#18 riverhugger

riverhugger

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 400 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 08:18 PM

Taking a fish now and then isn't terrible right? Now imagine how many other thousands of people say and do the same thing? Hundreds if not thousands of fish been taken from tribs and lakes everyday...adds up quick.

But who cares right... we will all be dead in 80 years or so... love those who come after us...

#19 guest

Smallmouth Bass

• Closed Accounts
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 08:18 PM

sorry post deleted--pointless.

Edited by remyboy, 09 September 2013 - 08:19 PM.

#20 GaryC

GaryC

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 08:19 PM

My friends father always brings home the limit on bass on his sport license and he goes every few days.  It kind of pisses me off but whatever, I just won't go fishing with him.  He asked to join me a couple of times but I respectfully declined.