• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#21 fishing with a fly

fishing with a fly

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 08:24 PM

That's the problem they have the right to take those fish but is it Ethical to take it some say yes but how long can we keep stocking for the money's got to come from some where in alot of cases it's Partially funded By the government so we know how cash strapped they are

#22 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 08:29 PM

people that are taking there limit everyday, could still be breaking the law, there are daily limits yes, but also possession limits, which count the fish you have at home in the fridge and or freezer, its why the ministry requires you to leave a portion of skin attached to the fillet so it can be identified

#23 Mr. Bassturd

Mr. Bassturd

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 285 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 08:32 PM

good post c&r is very important in the certain areas mentioned and species mentioned.  I personally don't keep many fish locally to date, 2 salmon one female one jack, and one steelhead cuz I ripped a big chunk off the nose by accident and wasn't confident it would survive release, I was actually disappointed about this as it was my first one from the river and I really did want to release her but I learned from my mistakes, changed to a single barbless hook on my spoons and the following 3 were released. up north I still practice c&r but I like a fish fry every now and then,  I think to sum it up theres some who treat there keep limit as a goal not an option but hey it takes all kinds to make the world go round. and jmatt good point on possession limits ive seen people who think once its in there freezer they think there safe and beating the system and will go out for more, unfortunately.

#24 buck

buck

Perch

• Active Members
  • 867 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 08:41 PM

#25 fishing with a fly

fishing with a fly

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:10 PM

Jmatt you are right but Enforcing that is next to impossible Especially when there in your house they need a warrant to make entry to Investigate

#26 riverhugger

riverhugger

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 400 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:20 PM

I don't think MNR guys need a warrant do they?

#27 Constantino

Constantino

Sunfish

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:21 PM

I guess this post was pointless . Why is it though the people on this forum who are in my demographic understand what I said about our fishery being on a downward spiral. And anyone under the age of thirty still feels its a mnr issue and we need better regs. Or we have plenty up north. I wonder what nit wit at the mnr thought that ice fishing on the kawarthas was a solid idea.

#28 fishing with a fly

fishing with a fly

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:27 PM

I agree with you but I see both sides of the coin it is an mnr issue but I think new regs and even better education might help but who knows I will say thank you for starting this what you said hit a nail right on the head that it started this talk it opens the doors to maybe changing people's mind on keeping fish

#29 fishing with a fly

fishing with a fly

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:28 PM

And riverhugger any peace officer must have a warrant to make entry to a Private residence or Property

#30 guest

Smallmouth Bass

• Closed Accounts
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 10:15 PM

I think the MNR is the only ones that can walk in without one brother-

#31 fishing with a fly

fishing with a fly

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 10:42 PM

I double check but I'm not so sure but I will look in to it

#32 OCDComputing

OCDComputing

Perch

• Active Members
  • 564 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 11:04 PM

Remy...I believe you are correct.

WTF is it with people that rag on someone keeping a fish or two or three for the table? Fish is tasty!..plain and simple! I mostly C&R...but I do keep some Bass to enjoy. Is there anything wrong with that? Yes, the people that rape the rivers I don't agree with, but c'mon now...it seems that the first question on someone's post of them with a picture is...did you release it? Fish is tasty...and as long as *we*...as hopefully responsible fishermen (and women) practice good fishing practices (read that as you may)...then keeping a fish or 3 for eating is all good.

#33 Constantino

Constantino

Sunfish

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 11:27 PM

Everyone has the right to do what they want with there catch . When the resource is gone its gone. Just ask the Americans who make the trek up here every year to catch our trophy bluegill. Or the commercial cod fisherman out east who are now laying drywall for a living. I really don't think this post was about having a shore lunch and a few pops with the boys on a long weekend. By the way I've been known to keep a few crappie in the spring the kids love them

#34 DitchWizard

DitchWizard

Perch

• Active Members
  • 693 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 11:38 PM

I believe COs are the only people who can just walk onto your property.

#35 Constantino

Constantino

Sunfish

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 11:43 PM

Approx 1 million people using the resource annually tourists and residents

#36 Liger

Liger

Sunfish

• Members
  • 216 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 12:05 AM

not sure how to respond about the GTA area since i Live in Muskoka, But I do see how Yes the GTAs fish are less and C(R would be a good way to go BUT if the person is eatting said fish, its eatting the fish, its what fishing was started off for. Like I said its very hard to post about this topic becuz I can see both sides

#37 hammercarp

hammercarp

Perch

• Active Members
  • 660 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 04:20 AM

CO can check cottages, camps or vehicles without a warrant. Not your principle residence ie home or apt., just like a cop they need a warrant to do that. .

Back to the main topic.I read an article 20 years ago that stated that within a 3 hr drive from Toronto fish stocks for the popular species were reduced by as much as 90%. from what they were 50 years before that. And back then there were no rainbow or salmon to catch in ON. 

There are actually less licensed anglers in ON every year for quite a few years now. 

#38 alwayscatching

alwayscatching

Smallmouth Bass

• Moderators
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 08:10 AM

I like how you like to target me. Nothing better to do than start a topic and mention a mounted bass. I do NOT keep bass. I was proud of myself for my 3 6 lbs bass on simcoe and YES I mounted them and YES I kept them for 2 reasons. Not going to bother to explain myself.

#39 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 08:15 AM

I like how you like to target me. Nothing better to do than start a topic and mention a mounted bass. I do NOT keep bass. I was proud of myself for my 3 6 lbs bass on simcoe and YES I mounted them and YES I kept them for 2 reasons. Not going to bother to explain myself.

now it all makes sense....topic title is a dead give away too

#40 guest

Smallmouth Bass

• Closed Accounts
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 08:20 AM

always--who cares --at the end of the day some agree some don't--this forum is like desperate housewives-however remember I told you this-the older I get the more you will want to show a pic and tell a story than have it stuffed--otherwise its a forum filled with cheezie eaters, wanna bes and cool kats--pay attention to the noise you like the other shite ignore it .