Posted 10 September 2013 - 08:38 AM

Thanks remy

#42 Constantino

Constantino

Sunfish

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 09:38 AM

Topic title had nothing to do with anyone in particular. Nothing to do with fishing the GTA. Nothing to do with eating fish. Nothing to do about mounting fish. Who cares? Enjoy the fishery everyone

#43 guest

Smallmouth Bass

• Closed Accounts
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 09:46 AM

constantino--I could have told you this would end in you being annoyed--there is never a point..lol

#44 Constantino

Constantino

Sunfish

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 09:49 AM

Thanks remy lol

#45 CJR

CJR

#RNS

• Active Members
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 09:51 AM

I like how you like to target me. Nothing better to do than start a topic and mention a mounted bass. I do NOT keep bass. I was proud of myself for my 3 6 lbs bass on simcoe and YES I mounted them and YES I kept them for 2 reasons.

picard-facepalm-o.gif

#46 guest

Smallmouth Bass

• Closed Accounts
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 10:05 AM

ya not so good.

#47 troutddicted

troutddicted

Bouts with trouts

• Moderators
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 10:24 AM

Cleared up, no BS please.

#48 manasmdesign

manasmdesign

Sunfish

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 10:45 AM

I only keep fish that I feel would make it after the battle, I love fish and can't imagine killing one that can hunt and spawn for many years to come !

#49 hammercarp

hammercarp

Perch

• Active Members
  • 660 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 12:19 PM

My feelings on C&R . 

As long as someone is fishing legally , there is no moral or ethical reason why they should not eat the fish they catch. We eat the things that grow on this planet. That is the way it works. People that claim a higher set of morals and ethics by practicing fanatical C&R standards are just fooling them selves. Playing with your food is just that. 

Are any of you aware that in Switzerland they have a canton ( a state or province ) where C&R fishing is illegal. They have a perfectly logical and ethical reason for this. If you are going to stick a hook in a creatures mouth and drag it struggling from it's environment into one that is ultimately fatal for the fish, the only moral and ethical reason for doing so, is that you are going to eat it.

#50 Bug_Slinger

Bug_Slinger

Sunfish

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 12:55 PM

Iam not speaking about an 8 hour drive. Iam talking about hitching your boat and driving an hour and a half to any lake north of Toronto and limiting out on walleye in the 6 pound range try and pull that magic trick today. Or how about a short drive through the back roads just north of the city catching speckled trout worthy of posting pictures on any forum . Or the many trout streams east and west of the city which hosted legendary runs of steelhead. Why is it you think we cloak the names of these tributaries today. Of course there are more people fishing today. Of course the fishing pressure is greater. Pressured fish are harder to catch fine with me. But you can't catch what isn't there it's what we do with those pressured fish that makes a difference. This is not a personal attack. But if anyone feels that way that is the purpose of this post

Well now that we've established that the g.t.a. is the center of the world, let me say that the fishery in southern Ontario would simply not exist without the provincial stocking program at least to a level worth mentioning due to population and other contributing factors. Going back to the late 80's and early 90's my dad always instilled in us that if you wanted to go fishing and eat the fish, that was going to be  a 3 1/2 hour drive past North Bay at the very least ( 50 pike/50 walleye in a few hours not all that uncommon :mrgreen:). On the other hand I feel bad for the people that are limited to fishing the southern Ontario region, you have know idea on what your missing :sad:... I'm grateful that my occupation allows me to travel all over North America stopping over at some incredibly remarkable fisheries along the way. I would like to end this comment in a quote from Bruce Lee that I interpret as not being labeled into a box "Be like water making its way through cracks. Do not be assertive, but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way round or through it. If nothing within you stays rigid, outward things will disclose themselves. Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend.

Cheers, Slinger

#51 Constantino

Constantino

Sunfish

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 01:37 PM

Those fisheries won't last long either. The muskokas today are the new kawarthas

#52 hammercarp

hammercarp

Perch

• Active Members
  • 660 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 01:46 PM

Those fisheries won't last long either. The muskokas today are the new kawarthas

lol! The muskokas were "cottage country" a hundred years before the kawarthas. 

#53 Bug_Slinger

Bug_Slinger

Sunfish

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 02:07 PM

I do get your point however a lost cause, maybe?...  in 30+ years I've yet to see a decline up that way and IMO the muskokas have been gone for decades... River fishing on the north shore of superior is just awesome and still thousands of lakes virtually untouched to be had. I can't see this fishery being in trouble any time soon because the surrounding area simply does not support the population to affect it (surrounding population being key)... but lets stay on topic here we're talking G.T.A.sport fishing :blink: lol 

#54 Constantino

Constantino

Sunfish

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 02:08 PM

lol! The muskokas were "cottage country" a hundred years before the kawarthas.

#55 Constantino

Constantino

Sunfish

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 02:09 PM

How many of those 50 pike were 35 inches and how many walleye over 27 inches

#56 Bug_Slinger

Bug_Slinger

Sunfish

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 02:26 PM

10% or 15% maybe... but that's as good a ratio I need for a couple hours on the water :cool: & let me add I may only keep a few little walleye's during that time as I do believe in C&R

I've heard stories of planes flying over top lakes up that way and reporting to the authorizes that there's been oil spills or something only to be found out later they were actually schools of walleye estimated in the millions...  ohhh yeah :mrgreen:

#57 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 03:04 PM

As much as I would consider that everything the OP said holds merit...I think this is the wrong crowd. Pretty much everyone here value their holes and most people I know here practice C n R anyways.

#58 Captain Barty

Captain Barty

Sunfish

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 03:24 PM

Picture a peaceful day on your favorite steelhead stream at first light. The slow trickle of the stream on a cold nov morning. Suddenly the river erupts someone's into one. Out comes the dreaded black garbage bag . Now picture the sound of a ten pound bow gasping its last breath against the dark plastic.

Should really keep that bow on a stringer alive, then bleed it out before going home to clean it. The meat tastes the best this way. :)

#59 usernamehere

usernamehere

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 488 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 06:00 PM

Iv seen extreme cases where one fisheran who only believes in C&R, goes up to someone whos keeping fish, and start a fight with them and try to dump the fish in their bucket/net into the water.

C&R vs C&K is such a sensitive topic lol.

#60 Brian

Brian

Perch

• Active Members
  • 553 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 08:47 PM

This is always such a controversial topic.

I have a Sport fishing license which allows me to fish and keep a number of my catches, should I desire to do so. This year I kept a few perch and 1 pickerel, I released hundreds of other fishes, and I killed a number of gobies.

While I may be a "95% C&R angler", I think it is wrong...no...it is UNETHICAL, to impose your values and beliefs onto everyone. 

If someone wants to keep a fish that they caught legally, then they are within their rights to do so.

As long as everyone is within their limits legally, then they should not be persecuted by anyone.

To each his own...