Photo

Today's hot weather heat up the water good or bad for salmon fishing?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Mr Grim Reefer

Mr Grim Reefer

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 05:03 PM

Well with todays how weather my and a few of my buddys where thing of going to west piers and do some shore fishing.

do you think with the hot weather water temp might keel the salmon deep in the lake ? 

any tips for a fellow fisher mane for shore fishing ? 

:cool:  :cool:  :cool:

#2 ChasinTails

ChasinTails

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 05:05 PM

west PLUS heat is not good even east plus heat isnt good, but if theyre in the river they arent going back 

#3 Mr Grim Reefer

Mr Grim Reefer

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 05:30 PM

west PLUS heat is not good even east plus heat isnt good, but if theyre in the river they arent going back 

thanks for teh feed back.

Any other suggestions ?

#4 Mr Grim Reefer

Mr Grim Reefer

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 05:30 PM

we have a big rain falll coming to !

#5 Rainbow

Rainbow

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 06:44 PM

Next weeks temps are looking good. I find that they bite better when the water's in their comfort range.

#6 w_ boughner

w_ boughner

Perch

• Active Members
  • 647 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 07:29 PM

Keep an eye on the levels after the rain when it's on the drop is when you want to be in the river or the Peru at the crest

#7 Kit

Kit

Canadian River Angler

• Premium Account

• 1,895 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 10:20 PM

I can't see the heat helping at all. Surely will effect activity if they are in the rivers/creeks won't do anything till it cools down or the sun is gone. Depending on the creek or river if its spring fed or not. Usually spring fed water is much colder.

#8 Mr Grim Reefer

Mr Grim Reefer

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 11:13 AM

Keep an eye on the levels after the rain when it's on the drop is when you want to be in the river or the Peru at the crest

good tip ! thanks 

#9 fishfight

fishfight

Sunfish

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 02:30 PM

I bumped into some anglers fishing Monday when It was quiet and very hot at more than 30 degrees temp, humid around noon, a major warm front with 20+k wind, compared to previous days. He said SALMON FISHING WAS AMAZING, he landed 3 and lost more casting with spoon, since fish were hitting like crazy, hardly anyone on site. 2 days after I shown up with cooler calm windy nights (the day I met him), just right before a thunderstorm and major rainfalls that was about to follow that same night, fish refuse to bite though they were there. I went fishing following the theory that right before a storm front and barometric pressure change. fish normally bites, yet fish were not hitting and they were there surfacing every so often .

All my best nights of Salmon fishing last year was when temp was close to 20's at night and warm front nights. Got skunk 3-4 times after fishing on colder night and 1-2 days after rainfall. I then stop coming 2 days after a rainfall.  Hardly anyone showed up at the bay or pier on warmer nights or if no rain for days and water level was very low, since many assumed they have to wait for rain or colder nights which happened only sporadically, many have miss out one of the best Salmon year of fishing IMO. I remembered water was at times close to 70 degrees, my spoon was so warm to my surprise, I kept telling myself, it does not make sense after 15 years of salmon shore fishing, or am I being lucky in 2012. Last year was the most unique weather pattern change and low water level, contrary to previous year's pattern. I was so confident of the new found weather pattern, that I brought few beginners who never caught or landed a Salmon, and all of them either hooked up and lost or landed as well. Roughly 40+ salmon within my group. No worries of crowds as well. All fish release was my criteria for fishing with me! Have not taken roes in years of fishing. still manage to land enough double digit number of trout using spoon or lures or colored yarn and some homemade scent, fishing during late fall to early spring months. I hardly fish during jan-mid of march.

How amazing was last year's Salmon fishing adventure? I told those beside me to re-tighten the drag just to land the fish sooner, since it only takes few more cast to get another hit when fish were that active, to cut short the enjoyment of the fight, so we can catch more fish. I have to sacrifice casting while holding the net and waiting for my friends to land the fish, to give them proper advice on technique, on when to re-adjust the drag by palming, or when to reel in or let the fish run. 

This year, Water level was highest in years, Everything seemed to be back to normal or delayed compared to last year's trend! I would not just give up the idea of not fishing just because of lack of rain or a warm front. Locals always told me fish were coming in or going out on daily basis. One elderly local also said he even landed a steelehead at end of july last year, to his surprise. Salmon were being landed by end of July last year.  

I have been fishing for these salmon for the past 15 years, way before any report on weather or from other anglers. I have landed on rough windy nights or on glass-like water conditions, 5 degrees cold or 25 degrees humid nights, drizzle or no rain. moon or no moons, lots of anglers or no anglers, NorthSouthEastWest wind of any directions or combo. coarse fishing with roe , marshmellow, yarn, or with spoon, J-13, rattler, dollar store or famous brand,glow or non glow. braid or mono.  All produce fish.

#10 Bug_Slinger

Bug_Slinger

Sunfish

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 04:02 PM

I always thought that a barometric pressure drop generally shuts the fish down?

#11 Mr. Bassturd

Mr. Bassturd

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 285 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 08:08 PM

i`m confused now

#12 beef

beef

Sunfish

• Banned
  • 148 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 08:47 PM

Holy speech "fishfight" yes the heat can affect them it stresses them out and tires them out more than some can handle that's why you see so many in perfect condition laying there dead

#13 Mr Grim Reefer

Mr Grim Reefer

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 10:38 AM

I bumped into some anglers fishing Monday when It was quiet and very hot at more than 30 degrees temp, humid around noon, a major warm front with 20+k wind, compared to previous days. He said SALMON FISHING WAS AMAZING, he landed 3 and lost more casting with spoon, since fish were hitting like crazy, hardly anyone on site. 2 days after I shown up with cooler calm windy nights (the day I met him), just right before a thunderstorm and major rainfalls that was about to follow that same night, fish refuse to bite though they were there. I went fishing following the theory that right before a storm front and barometric pressure change. fish normally bites, yet fish were not hitting and they were there surfacing every so often .

All my best nights of Salmon fishing last year was when temp was close to 20's at night and warm front nights. Got skunk 3-4 times after fishing on colder night and 1-2 days after rainfall. I then stop coming 2 days after a rainfall.  Hardly anyone showed up at the bay or pier on warmer nights or if no rain for days and water level was very low, since many assumed they have to wait for rain or colder nights which happened only sporadically, many have miss out one of the best Salmon year of fishing IMO. I remembered water was at times close to 70 degrees, my spoon was so warm to my surprise, I kept telling myself, it does not make sense after 15 years of salmon shore fishing, or am I being lucky in 2012. Last year was the most unique weather pattern change and low water level, contrary to previous year's pattern. I was so confident of the new found weather pattern, that I brought few beginners who never caught or landed a Salmon, and all of them either hooked up and lost or landed as well. Roughly 40+ salmon within my group. No worries of crowds as well. All fish release was my criteria for fishing with me! Have not taken roes in years of fishing. still manage to land enough double digit number of trout using spoon or lures or colored yarn and some homemade scent, fishing during late fall to early spring months. I hardly fish during jan-mid of march.

How amazing was last year's Salmon fishing adventure? I told those beside me to re-tighten the drag just to land the fish sooner, since it only takes few more cast to get another hit when fish were that active, to cut short the enjoyment of the fight, so we can catch more fish. I have to sacrifice casting while holding the net and waiting for my friends to land the fish, to give them proper advice on technique, on when to re-adjust the drag by palming, or when to reel in or let the fish run. 

This year, Water level was highest in years, Everything seemed to be back to normal or delayed compared to last year's trend! I would not just give up the idea of not fishing just because of lack of rain or a warm front. Locals always told me fish were coming in or going out on daily basis. One elderly local also said he even landed a steelehead at end of july last year, to his surprise. Salmon were being landed by end of July last year.  

I have been fishing for these salmon for the past 15 years, way before any report on weather or from other anglers. I have landed on rough windy nights or on glass-like water conditions, 5 degrees cold or 25 degrees humid nights, drizzle or no rain. moon or no moons, lots of anglers or no anglers, NorthSouthEastWest wind of any directions or combo. coarse fishing with roe , marshmellow, yarn, or with spoon, J-13, rattler, dollar store or famous brand,glow or non glow. braid or mono.  All produce fish.

this throws me off from my experiences ! 

#14 Mr Grim Reefer

Mr Grim Reefer

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 10:39 AM

i`m confused now

mee too

#15 ChasinTails

ChasinTails

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 10:56 AM

well i guess if your confused, just gotta go out on every possible weather conditions and see what works