58 replies to this topic

#1 eric

eric

Sunfish

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 08:28 PM

i was thinking about this a while ago.

instead of using centerpins, why doesnt anyone use lever brake spinning reels?

or the more accurate name is ISO rod and ISO reel.  shimano and daiwa both make them.

with a pin, all you have is a wheel with line.
with an iso reel, you have a modern spinner with front drag, but still have option of letting it freespool to drift and/or exact control over the line.

http://fishing.shima...pcat1=1&pcat2=9

http://all.daiwa21.c...p_lb/index.html

#2 ChasinTails

ChasinTails

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 08:30 PM

baitcaster....high quality ones, the ones with reeel ( pun intended ) good free spool 

#3 w_ boughner

w_ boughner

Perch

• Active Members
  • 647 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 10:49 PM

They have to much resistance to them for slow water or shallow drifts where you want the supper low inertia of a float reel to keep it in your drift.. When your doing short drifts in fast water they work ok but a center pin is the best to control the drift

#4 w_ boughner

w_ boughner

Perch

• Active Members
  • 647 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 10:49 PM

They have to much resistance to them for slow water or shallow drifts where you want the supper low inertia of a float reel to keep it in your drift.. When your doing short drifts in fast water they work ok but a center pin is the best to control the drift

#5 eric

eric

Sunfish

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 11:00 PM

i dont get how it has too much resistance.. in a lever brake spinner. the lever actually engages the AR (anti reverse) bearing. 
when you disengage , the handle can turn in reverse or you can pull line out by hand with no drag whatsever. just like what youd do with a fly reel.

get a fish on, push the lever forward to reengage or lock the AR on full. then you can constantly change it will fighting.

#6 w_ boughner

w_ boughner

Perch

• Active Members
  • 647 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 11:42 PM

That's no different than opening the bail and letter line out as your float is pulled down the river and opening your bail would be less frustrating because you would have to focus more on your reel than your float to make sure you don't back spin too much and end up with a birds nest..
Have you used a center pin before???
I'm not saying it can't be done but a center pin is easier and more affective than a spinning reel or a bait caster !! There's a reason everyone that float fishes ends up with a center pin !

#7 eric

eric

Sunfish

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 11:56 PM

a lever drag spinner is very different then what you think.      you obviously never even touched or used a LDB spinner before.

#8 w_ boughner

w_ boughner

Perch

• Active Members
  • 647 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 12:01 AM

I just can't see line coming off a spool as small as a1.5-2" spinning reel then over the roller on the bail arm as a 4.5" center pin but try it out

#9 FishingNoob

FishingNoob

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 12:07 AM

Give it a shot, sounds like it will work.

#10 eric

eric

Sunfish

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 12:14 AM

its called simply turning the handle backwards. line pays out and the water can move the bait.

you probably though the bait is heavy enough to move the rotor in reverse? ha.

ill even make it easier for those who dont know what im thinking. this is how a LDB reel works.

thats a morethan branzino, exclusive to the japan market. you wont see any here for sale.

infact you wont even see a LDB reel at stores in north america.  its about $600-800, discontinued top tier reel.

this thread is just an idea/theory.  something that could make float fishing easier because the advantages outweigh the cons.

#11 w_ boughner

w_ boughner

Perch

• Active Members
  • 647 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 01:56 AM

Like I said you have to back spin the handle!! so you're going to back spin at the same speed as your float is going down the river with out focusing more on the reel than your float so the line doesn't wrap around the bail arm or under the spool ??

Try it out let me know how it works

#12 staffman

staffman

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 09:43 AM

I,personally,  see no advantage to these reels and they are more expensive than many high quality CP reels. A CP reel allows you to instantly change your drag setting and control the fish. We fish CP reels because they are fun to fish with and we control the drift rate as well as fighting the fish by hand. Buy one of those reels and let us in on your findings, but don't expect to sell it to any CPer.

#13 buck

buck

Perch

• Active Members
  • 867 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 09:53 AM

#14 Mr. Bassturd

Mr. Bassturd

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 285 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 10:15 AM

Ive tried this back reeling method for drifting and altho it does work,  I found just opening my bail was 100 times easier as u don't have to focus on keeping aa steady pace.  And Ive tried using a baitcaster as well on a larger river and it worked quite well but I found I had to be lined up perfectly ahead of where I wanted to drift its kinda hard to cast a 9 foot pole with a float and the baitcasterto position properly.  I guess that reel u were showing us with the one button drag could work as well and would probably be the best of both worlds for me, accurate casts and the ability to free spool.

#15 ChasinTails

ChasinTails

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 12:36 PM

look at what this guy is using

https://www.youtube....h?v=Ai8eR-QqlZM

lol i was paying attention to that monstor trout 

#16 ChaseChrome

ChaseChrome

Banned

• Banned
  • 2,448 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 01:11 PM

try the fly

#17 fishing with a fly

fishing with a fly

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 03:56 PM

try the fly

I couldn't agree more

#18 Mr. Bassturd

Mr. Bassturd

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 285 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 08:18 PM

try the fly

lol one of these days

#19 NADO

NADO

Unaccomplished Steelheader

• Moderators
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 09:02 PM

It still wont let line out as efficiently as you need it to for drifts in frog water. if you want to use it in big flows it will work fine, but a baitcaster would work better.

How about you try it out and let us know? A lot of suggestions coming from a guy who needs to just get out and try float fishing!

#20 beef

beef

Sunfish

• Banned
  • 148 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 11:46 AM

Well said Nado