• This topic is locked This topic is locked
23 replies to this topic

#1 ChaseChrome

ChaseChrome

Banned

• Banned
  • 2,448 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 01:17 PM

To all new members: Please ensure you read these guidelines before asking questions and/or posting information about sensitive watersheds...your posts will be immediately deleted...

Steelhead and Salmon forum rules

• Naming Rivers: The naming of any specific river or tributary is not permitted in the publicly viewable general discussion forum. Instead, please refer to the river by the general area it is located, ie “East Trib”, “West Trib”, “GB (Georgian Bay) Trib”, etc. For example, you are not allowed to say "I had a great day fishing yesterday on Wilmot Creek", instead, we encourage members to say "I had a great day fishing yesterday on an East Trib". The former statement should be relegated to the reports sections (coming soon), away from public view.
  • Lining Debate: "Lining", "snagging" or "flossing" fish is a hot-button topic that often ruins otherwise productive conversations. In order to keep the general discussion forum clean, helpful and productive, it is the policy of OFF that any and all "lining" conversation/debate be conducted in the "Salmonid Insanity" sub-forum.
  • Forum Etiquette: Simple - Be polite, keep it civil. All personal attacks, insults, inflammatory remarks, threats, racist remarks, trolling and otherwise rude and/or immature behaviour are strictly forbidden and will be met with disciplinary action up to and including permanent banning.

#2 FishingNoob

FishingNoob

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 02:52 PM

To all new members: Please ensure you read these guidelines before asking questions and/or posting information about sensitive watersheds...your posts will be immediately deleted...

Steelhead and Salmon forum rules

• Naming Rivers: The naming of any specific river or tributary is not permitted in the publicly viewable general discussion forum. Instead, please refer to the river by the general area it is located, ie “East Trib”, “West Trib”, “GB (Georgian Bay) Trib”, etc. For example, you are not allowed to say "I had a great day fishing yesterday on Wilmot Creek", instead, we encourage members to say "I had a great day fishing yesterday on an East Trib". The former statement should be relegated to the reports sections (coming soon), away from public view.
  • Lining Debate: "Lining", "snagging" or "flossing" fish is a hot-button topic that often ruins otherwise productive conversations. In order to keep the general discussion forum clean, helpful and productive, it is the policy of OFF that any and all "lining" conversation/debate be conducted in the "Salmonid Insanity" sub-forum.
  • Forum Etiquette: Simple - Be polite, keep it civil. All personal attacks, insults, inflammatory remarks, threats, racist remarks, trolling and otherwise rude and/or immature behaviour are strictly forbidden and will be met with disciplinary action up to and including permanent banning.

Good idea.

#3 Alfiegee

Alfiegee

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 03:29 PM

Good call CC. Has been in place for a while.

My question would be, some members seem to be taking offense to naming a river that is 290 kms long when talking about Bass, Cats and Pike.

I think that's cool. What of it?

Alfie.

#4 FishingNoob

FishingNoob

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 12:57 AM

My question would be, some members seem to be taking offense to naming a river that is 290 kms long when talking about Bass, Cats and Pike.

Alfie.

Agreed.

#5 BASS BUSTER !

BASS BUSTER !

Bass! Pike! Muskie!

• Active Members
  • 672 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 01:58 AM

Alfie.

I'm Good with naming Rivers & Lakes. Even Portions thereof. IF that's what you're saying.

Example. Cooks Bay is a SMALL Part of Lake Simcoe. It's Apprx. 11 Miles Long and 4 Miles across at Keswick

Good Hunting! 

Also. These rules apply ONLY to Trout and Salmon. 

Forum Etiquette should be Expected and Given on ALL Forums 

#6 ChaseChrome

ChaseChrome

Banned

• Banned
  • 2,448 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 06:18 PM

I'm Good with naming Rivers & Lakes. Even Portions thereof. IF that's what you're saying.

Example. Cooks Bay is a SMALL Part of Lake Simcoe. It's Apprx. 11 Miles Long and 4 Miles across at Keswick

Good Hunting! 

Also. These rules apply ONLY to Trout and Salmon. 

Forum Etiquette should be Expected and Given on ALL Forums 

Thanks for your opinion...these rules apply to ALL fragile water systems...

There are many small lakes whose resident population of bass or other species can be threatened by over fishing...there are many examples

cc

#7 BASS BUSTER !

BASS BUSTER !

Bass! Pike! Muskie!

• Active Members
  • 672 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 12:47 AM

There are many small lakes whose resident population of bass or other species can be threatened by over fishing...there are many examples

cc

Thank You.

However the title says Steelhead ad Salmon. It's always been my understanding that they do not apply to Bass, Pike, Muskie Etc.

It's been discussed before, many times and I THOUGHT that was that was the Final Decision.

Not sure where I'd draw the Line between Large & Small Lakes. I guess the only option is to not Name Anything. I'll now follow that "Rule".

With All Due Respect.

Rick

#8 openfire

openfire

Administrator

• Active Members
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 09:04 AM

cc

It's 100% true. I've seen it happen... The early members of OFF may recall some of the GTA bass ponds that got pounded when word got out, and were never the same for several years. There were instances where the bass populations in those small ponds were decimated.

Some small bodies of water are vulnerable. Above and beyond the OFF rules as pointed out by CC, in general please, please use common sense when discussing potentially fragile systems. (Unintended consequences)

Thank You.

However the title says Steelhead ad Salmon. It's always been my understanding that they do not apply to Bass, Pike, Muskie Etc.

It's been discussed before, many times and I THOUGHT that was that was the Final Decision.

Not sure where I'd draw the Line between Large & Small Lakes. I guess the only option is to not Name Anything. I'll now follow that "Rule".

With All Due Respect.

Rick

Rick, see above.

#9 ChaseChrome

ChaseChrome

Banned

• Banned
  • 2,448 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 11:29 AM

Indeed it was Open that I discussed this with...thanks for wading in...

I can also assure you that if MadocFly were to post the location of that lovely piece of waters he frequents it would most certainly be its' death knell

Yeah...but uhmmmm...thanks Ricky

cc

#10 MadocFlyGuy

MadocFlyGuy

Perch

• Moderators
  • 753 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 11:47 AM

I can also assure you that if MadocFly were to post the location of that lovely piece of waters he frequents it would most certainly be its' death knell

cc

Agreed - Although it is frustrating sometimes to try and do some adventuring to find some fish, it is 100% worth it once you are successful. I love bringing a new angler with me to some of these locations, but I don't think I would ever flat out just tell them a locale - and my mindset has never been biased to trout (considering I really only started trout fishing a year ago), but has been spread across multiple species (especially bass and pickerel in my area).

Happy with the direction the forum is travelling!

Cheers,

Cody

#11 BASS BUSTER !

BASS BUSTER !

Bass! Pike! Muskie!

• Active Members
  • 672 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 12:38 PM

cc

You're Welcome .......uhmmmmmmmmmmm.. Davidyyyyyy M.

Then why don't you change the Title to include ALL Fish, not just Steelhead & Salmon and make it a General Rule?  

As I read it now, the way it's written, it applies Specifically to a Forum. Once Again "Steelhead and salmon forum rules"

Certainly I use Common Sense when it comes to issues such as this.

However what "The Rules" are as written here and what People end up doing are two different things.

I'm NOT a Trout Fisherman and never will be. Obviously this site is Heavily Weighted towards "Salmon Fishing" and the People who fish for them. 

I Fish for the "Other Fish". Usually in Lakes and Rivers. I have no problem Naming a Specific Lake or River and perhaps a General Area. I'm not about to give away any of my "Honey Holes" on here or anywhere else.

So. You can establish all the rules you want for this Site. I will abide by those rules on here. Which to me means no more Posting of ANY Lakes, Large Or Small, with ANY indication of Possible Good Spots to Fish.

I've done that numerous times in the past for the Benefit of The Members. Which is one of the Main Reasons I'm on here. I Enjoy, and feel Good about "Giving" and that's NOT just Fishing Maps. I'm sure there are a few Members that will back me up on that Statement.

In Closing. ......Where I Fish, How I Fish and what I Fish for is My Decision to make.

Now I'll go and check my Attachments. I'm sure there are a few Maps on there. I'll remove them.

Thank You for Clarifying this situation.

RICK

#12 ChaseChrome

ChaseChrome

Banned

• Banned
  • 2,448 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 12:59 PM

I will say this one last time...and believe both I and Openfire have explained this adequately enough and spent more than a reasonable amount of time on it. Even in legal theory there is such a condition and requirement set out known specifically as the "reasonable man theory..."

We have asked, and it is the guiding principle of this site, that people not name watersheds and systems that are fragile AND hold populations of fragile aquatic species. What you choose to do with this information between those you trust or want to share such information with is entirely up to you...which leads to a second principle that guides our intent, and that is, conservation.

If we find that these principles have not been adequately adhered to then we will remove the post.

What I do mind, more than anything, and that which is an offence to members and Mods and Admins, is that you seem to consciously set out to malign our intent, create foment among the members  (where none exists), and create an unnecessary distraction for those members who need some guidance.

For example...when it became evident that new members were naming specific locations and/or asking for such info, rather than set them up for member backlash I thought to repost (as a heads up) the general rules of this forum. It saves them from unnecessary embarrassment and keeps the welcome door open, as it were. However you see this as an affront, an obstacle, a proscriptive mechanism when nothing of the sort was intended.

Otherwise your contributions are entertaining and provide the kind of diversity we enjoy...salmon, trout, bass, pike, chubs, carp whatever...

cc

#13 Alfiegee

Alfiegee

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 01:14 PM

Point and Counter Point.

I fish a lake X trib which I and a number of other members have named in the past for Bass and Kitties mainly. Apparently it does hold some Chrome but I have yet to catch one. Other forum members have pointed out this naming tribs thing on some posts not mine really but I have seen it on other posts. This trib is 200 miles long at least, to me it is like naming Lake Simcoe. Anyone in the know knows what trib I am talking about. When I post I usually say I am fishing near X which means I could be 30 miles up or down from X.

I recently saw a video on OFF of someone landing a pike, it didn't show much but I knew exactly where he was standing, I have landed fish in that exact spot.

To take this one step further, there was a photo posted recently, it showed a distinct landmark which I know well on a Speck Stream. Don't give away Speck spots, I have lost enough of them. Luckily this landmark requires some bush-whacking to get to so I hope lurkers don't know where the place is in Eastern On. LOL, total misdirection, or is it? :cool:

Alfie.

#14 ChaseChrome

ChaseChrome

Banned

• Banned
  • 2,448 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 01:29 PM

Hey we all (some of us) try our best to protect the resource Alfie...and we certainly can't police ALL the posts ALL the time, but I know what you're saying...is what it sometimes is

An oversight is quite something different than explicitly setting out to disrupt what is otherwise respect for ensuring the traffic on our shores is as light as possible.

Hey, never did see you on river X that day...did you see my son and I wading across the river that day??

#15 Alfiegee

Alfiegee

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 02:07 PM

Hey we all (some of us) try our best to protect the resource Alfie...and we certainly can't police ALL the posts ALL the time, but I know what you're saying...is what it sometimes is

An oversight is quite something different than explicitly setting out to disrupt what is otherwise respect for ensuring the traffic on our shores is as light as possible.

Hey, never did see you on river X that day...did you see my son and I wading across the river that day??

Hey Chrome (wish my name was Chrome, I like shiney things Heehee )

I hear you. 

Didn't see you guys, was probably watching the float like always.

Hope to meet you at the 'geen this year.

Alfie.

#16 Mr. Bassturd

Mr. Bassturd

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 285 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 02:09 PM

alright do what u will but in my opinion so far when i joined this forum i was under the impression this rule was for salmon and trout.  so i made a couple posts on river x lol, which i think led to a few other posts, all unrelated to trout and salmon which are still up ive had no problems so far and i think i used common sense for the most part .  anyways my point is to avoid confusion for newbies u guys should eliminate the grey area and include all species except panfish maybe in this rule because even tho we understand what you mean by "fragile watersystems"  it could be interpretated many different ways

#17 ChaseChrome

ChaseChrome

Banned

• Banned
  • 2,448 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 02:43 PM

alright do what u will but in my opinion so far when i joined this forum i was under the impression this rule was for salmon and trout.  so i made a couple posts on river x lol, which i think led to a few other posts, all unrelated to trout and salmon which are still up ive had no problems so far and i think i used common sense for the most part .  anyways my point is to avoid confusion for newbies u guys should eliminate the grey area and include all species except panfish maybe in this rule because even tho we understand what you mean by "fragile watersystems"  it could be interpretated many different ways

Fair enough...we'll have to think about clarifying the principles...thanks

#18 FishingNoob

FishingNoob

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 02:50 PM

May I make a suggestion?? Make a new thread with the same title, saying the rules, with any changes the administration makes, then title this something new. Don't want newcomers coming to this thread and getting confused...

#19 Rainbow

Rainbow

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 08:31 PM

We have asked, and it is the guiding principle of this site, that people not name watersheds and systems that are fragile AND hold populations of fragile aquatic species.

^This 100%, but it should probably be specified in the forum rules somewhere .

#20 BASS BUSTER !

BASS BUSTER !

Bass! Pike! Muskie!

• Active Members
  • 672 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 02:45 AM

^^^^

Agree!!