• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 rayray519

rayray519

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 349 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 11:22 AM

When choosing a new float rod, what does the IM6, IM8 .. "IM" represent?  I would like to get a 11 or 13ft float rod, to use with a decent spinning reel (until I can master the proper presentation methods in rivers).  

Any suggestions on which rod would be best??  Is Medium/fast best, brands?

Thanks,

#2 buck

buck

Perch

• Active Members
  • 867 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 11:40 AM

#3 NADO

NADO

Unaccomplished Steelheader

• Moderators
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 12:20 PM

the IM6 is like a noodle, the IM8 is a pretty decent rod with a faster tip than the IM6. Using it with a spinning reel maybe the IM6 would be the better option as it is more forgiving. 

#4 Bug_Slinger

Bug_Slinger

Sunfish

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 12:51 PM

looking to build a custom float rod any suggestions on a blank that wont require me selling my left arm, have heard good things about the rainshadow? also any suggestions and info on a custom rod builder would be much appreciated.

tight lines, Bug_Slinger

#5 CJR

CJR

#RNS

• Active Members
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 02:12 PM

looking to build a custom float rod any suggestions on a blank that wont require me selling my left arm, have heard good things about the rainshadow? also any suggestions and info on a custom rod builder would be much appreciated.

tight lines, Bug_Slinger

The batson rainshadow XST/IST blanks are probably your best bang for your buck.  The anglers roost ones have been becoming more popular as well.  I know a couple of buiders.  What are you looking to spend?

#6 iJay

iJay

Hero Drift

• Active Members
  • 830 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 02:15 PM

Sorry, somehow I thought this was Salmon! MY BAD!

#7 Bug_Slinger

Bug_Slinger

Sunfish

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 03:04 PM

not sure on the cost of building custom rods as this would be my first one but would be looking to spend in the ball park of $500/600.

#8 buck

buck

Perch

• Active Members
  • 867 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 03:26 PM

tight lines, Bug_Slinger

#9 Bug_Slinger

Bug_Slinger

Sunfish

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 03:54 PM

all right thanks buck!  I put in an offer but I'd prefer on buying a new rod. You never know what type of mileage was put on a rod?

http://www.batsonent...s.com/index.php ohh man I'm already building in my mind :mrgreen:

#10 Porkpie

Porkpie

Sunfish

• Members
  • 192 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 07:14 PM

Kingsway tackle in Guelph does custom work for reasonable prices, and I think they stock rainshadow blanks! $500 or so will get you a pretty decent rainshadow.

#11 steelhead101

steelhead101

Sunfish

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 12:37 PM

yoda just high jacked the poop out of this thread hahaha

yoda, a good build is going to be more than 500. you will be extremely happy with a loomis, st croix or raven. all great rods.

to the original poster- "Im" rating is suppose to be relative to the graphite module count. however company's like streamside state im8 and the rod still feels heavy and wimpy. where a raven im8 will be a totally different feeling my rod. since your using a spinning reel and not a centerpin you will likely get away with a stiffer,faster action. for a long rod recommend a raven rv9( with the 13 ft length , if you go with any cheaper of a rod its going to be heavy as poop),  one thing to consider is that the length really isnt necessary at all on a spinning reel, it realy is just added weight and awkwardness. my spinning out fit for salmon and steelhead is a fenwick hmx 9'6 and have never blown a leader because of the length and that rod is only 100 bucks. you dont need a long rod , i suggest you watch fishing with rod on youtube, he uses a 9ft float rod on ocean run steelhead and bull trout and fairly light line with no problems.

#12 NADO

NADO

Unaccomplished Steelheader

• Moderators
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 02:10 PM

I thought since he doesnt have the freedom of changing the drag in a split second with a centerpin a softer rod would be better for protecting the leader with sudden runs. Not speaking from experience since ive only used pins but it seems logical to me.

#13 RiverRuns

RiverRuns

Sunfish

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 04:09 PM

According to some articles on the net (I Googled "modulus rating of fishing rods") IM8, IM6 etc. are ratings put on rods by manufacturers based on the # of fibres used in the construction process, and the resultant flex/characteristics of the rod. Apparently, there is no industry standard; an IM8 from one manufacturer may differ significantly in performance and quality than an IM8 from another....bottom line...stick to reputable brands

#14 Kestrel

Kestrel

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 04:39 PM

Modulus is really only a measurement of stiffness. With that said, when it comes to fishing rods, you can achieve stiffness in a few different ways.

1. Use a higher modulus material that is naturally stiffer – Comparatively, IM8 graphite should be stiffer than IM6 graphite given that equal amounts of the material are compared.

2. Increasing blank diameter dramatically increases the level of stiffness

You can build a rod blank out of lower/intermediate modulus graphite (IM6 for example) and increase the blank diameter to achieve a level of stiffness equal to or greater than that of a blank made of high modulus material. With this taken into account, rods made of lower modulus graphite (to achieve X amount of stiffness) are usually heavier in weight than one built with a higher modulus material (with the same level of stiffness). Weight is a deterrent to performance (ie. tip speed and tip recovery). Conversely, rods made of lower modulus graphite have better elasticity and elongation properties and are less brittle than their higher modulus counterparts.

You can go the other way and make a slow rod out of a high modulus material by changing the blank taper.

As for the other question, “what should I look for?” Honestly, it’s whatever you can afford and feels good in your hands.

#15 w_ boughner

w_ boughner

Perch

• Active Members
  • 647 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 05:44 PM

I would get ahold of Kingsway tackle in Guelph Tom is the guru I rod building and he's very informative

#16 rayray519

rayray519

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 349 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 03:16 PM

So, I went into a local tackle store in KW, and held the IM-6 13ft raven. The rip was very fast light. Would like a little bit less noodle... or am I wrong here? Should I be after more bend?

#17 rayray519

rayray519

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 349 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 03:18 PM

I don't want to break the bank on my first float rod, but I don't want crap either.

#18 beef

beef

Sunfish

• Banned
  • 148 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 05:27 PM

Get a raven Im8 14' its an all around good rod I use one and I have had no problem with it , handles the big and small water no problem has plenty of backbone and a nice soft tip plus their warranty is good too

#19 NiagaraSteel

NiagaraSteel

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 07:19 PM

Can the im 8 raven handle salmon?

#20 beef

beef

Sunfish

• Banned
  • 148 posts