• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 DEVIN

DEVIN

Sunfish

• Members
  • 200 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 08:54 AM

Hello everybody. I have been wondering this for some time since the completion of the streetsville fish ladder. i heard that the ladder is closed during the bow run in the fall where the fish are transported from the ladder and let go up stream by caledon so there spawn rate is more sucessful. what id like to know is if the salmon can still travel up past britannia and make there way North from the lake. some people i have spoken to had told me its closed all season to prevent salmon to move up, so i am confused lol. any help would be much appreciated. thanks again.

Dev

#2 iJay

iJay

Hero Drift

• Active Members
  • 830 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 09:06 AM

Thgat makes no sense, why wouldnt the allow salmon up the river?

#3 Will

Will

Sunfish

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 09:15 AM

"During the fall season CRAA operates the ladder based on water conditions.  The fishway is either closed or blocked during chinook salmon runs so MNR and partners can collect chinook salmon eggs for the Lake Ontario stocking program.  Once complete the fishway is reopened and monitoring is done.  In the fall we lift Atlantic salmon, steelhead, brown trout and rare Coaster (migratory) brook trout."

http://www.craa.on.ca/ladder.shtml

#4 iJay

iJay

Hero Drift

• Active Members
  • 830 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 09:23 AM

Ahhh makes sense.

#5 DEVIN

DEVIN

Sunfish

• Members
  • 200 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 09:53 AM

Awsome thank you for the clarification ! now i get it because i love very close to the creditriver just north of britania and i remeber years ago seeing salmon in large numbers but over the past couple of years i havnt seen one in my area.

#6 ChaseChrome

ChaseChrome

Banned

• Banned
  • 2,448 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 12:54 PM

"During the fall season CRAA operates the ladder based on water conditions.  The fishway is either closed or blocked during chinook salmon runs so MNR and partners can collect chinook salmon eggs for the Lake Ontario stocking program.  Once complete the fishway is reopened and monitoring is done.  In the fall we lift Atlantic salmon, steelhead, brown trout and rare Coaster (migratory) brook trout."

http://www.craa.on.ca/ladder.shtml

I've helped John in the past...

You can always volunteer with the lift everyone...even bring the young ones for their enjoyment and curiosity...

#7 Bug_Slinger

Bug_Slinger

Sunfish

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 02:04 PM

Wanted to bring the boy to help out with the fish ladder this year... Think it would be a good experience, as I'm still pitching the whole idea of fishing to him which he seems to be taking to  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:

Hope the C.R.A.A. post's volunteering info this year

#8 DEVIN

DEVIN

Sunfish

• Members
  • 200 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 02:52 PM

really chase? thats awsome! ive always been intrested to do volunteering to help out.

ps. how do i go about doing so?.

#9 TRINIBOY

TRINIBOY

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 05:56 AM

really chase? thats awsome! ive always been intrested to do volunteering to help out.
ps. how do i go about doing so?.

Go onto the craa web site and send a email to them. Someone from the craa will contact you with the info and dates for the lift.

#10 DEVIN

DEVIN

Sunfish

• Members
  • 200 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 05:51 PM

Join me :)?

#11 TRINIBOY

TRINIBOY

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 01:51 PM

This ain't match.com. Hehehe
But sure if they have one going on the weekend I'd go

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: credit river, salmon, river, steetsville