25 replies to this topic

#1 fishing fr3ak

fishing fr3ak

Sunfish

• Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 06:17 PM

to rescue your favorite lure???

HEs my story... so i'm fishing in this cramped area with a lot of over hanging trees. There is just enough room to cast right between the branches which i've done 20-30 cast already.  Just as i cast.... a gust of wind blows  me right into the tree. Pull hoping its not snagged and of course it is.  so there i am with my fav lurer hanging in a tree.. just 15 ft off shore about 10 in the air.  sitting there mocking me. At first i didn't think about going in to retrieve it. i just retied and went on, but i knew theres not a store around that sells these things (i've looked for them in many a store). i have my water shoes on and shorts so i figure ill go in. 

First attempt at going in to retrieve the lure.i empty my pockets of every thing so it doesn't get wet just incase i slip (i've learnt from past mistakes). i get in .. the water is just below the knee... two steps toward the over hanging branch and well... its a lot deeper than i thought. but not too deep. but its deep enough that i know my pants are gonna get soaked. Not worth it so i get out of the water. Look around and start thinking hmm.. nobody around its unlikely that ill see anyone in this area sooooooo..... 

second attempt... i take off my shorts (thank god i wore undies that day) and i go back in. start walking closer to the branch that has my fav lure in it.  i get to the branch  the water is about waist deep. i reach up for the branch i can barely reach it.. and i start pulling down on it. i pull it about as far down as i can pull it and the lure is still just out of reach... like inches away. so here i am in the water no shorts on pulling on a tree and it just out of reach so i did this all for nothing. i'm like GRRRR. So i figured i went this far i'm getting it back no matter what. so i pull harder and i'm more less climbing the tree branch from the water. Its a pretty thick branch in no danger of breaking. In doing so i'm half lifting my self out of the water the water is about knee level my feet are off the bottom off the river bed im kinda just hanging there half in the water. I manage to touch the lure and i'm starting to untangle it, when i hear a ladies voice behind me. "DO you need help?"  OMG how embarrassing!

Anyway i got my lure back, met a new friend and can laugh about it now. I'm just wondering how far others have gone to retrieve a lure, or if i'm the only fool to do something crazy to get it back?? please share any stories you have so i don't feel like an idiot.

#2 RUSTY420

RUSTY420

Perch

• Active Members
  • 670 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 06:23 PM

I sure haven't gone that far! Lol
Good job on actually getting it.
I would say to be careful of other hooks in the tree though. Been stuck by hooks I didn't see before

#3 MENACE

MENACE

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 267 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 06:47 PM

Lol that's epic. ya got it back and you said its hard to find so im sure the embarrassment was worth it.

Most ive done to retive a lure is gone swimming following my line to free it up.

#4 ChasinTails

ChasinTails

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 06:47 PM

Lol dude you are brave, I don't go past my knees that's crazy watch a pool of salmon erupt at your feet lol

#5 fishing fr3ak

fishing fr3ak

Sunfish

• Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 07:08 PM

I sure haven't gone that far! Lol
Good job on actually getting it.
I would say to be careful of other hooks in the tree though. Been stuck by hooks I didn't see before

Lol that's epic. ya got it back and you said its hard to find so im sure the embarrassment was worth it.

Most ive done to retive a lure is gone swimming following my line to free it up.

lol would of been easier if i just had to swim.. lol

#6 staffman

staffman

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 07:14 PM

I've walked down river 50 yards ,crossed the river,walked back up the river 50 yards ,then waded up to my waist and using a long stick retrieved my spoon from a tree.

#7 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 07:43 PM

Far enough to drive home pick up my waders drive back wade and took it. Probably cost more than just the lure but its not about the $$ sometimes. I don't like the mockery as well.

#8 FishingNoob

FishingNoob

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 07:46 PM

I've gone swimming, but not like some of things you guys do. It's hilarious.

#9 usernamehere

usernamehere

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 488 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 07:59 PM

Iv only gotten lures snag on the bottom of ponds and lakes, far out of reach.

I have rescued a lot of lures, floats, and other terminal tackle stuff. Just not mine. Snags one up once in a while. 

#10 Kit

Kit

Canadian River Angler

• Premium Account

• 1,895 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 11:11 PM

With snags I send down my lure retriever get it back every time. As for trees reef on rod till the limb breaks. Or throw my lure retriever up let it wrap around and break the limb off lol.

#11 FishingNoob

FishingNoob

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 12:11 AM

With snags I send down my lure retriever get it back every time. As for trees reef on rod till the limb breaks. Or throw my lure retriever up let it wrap around and break the limb off lol.

I've 2 different lure retrievers and neither has produced significant results to make it worth it, which one do you have?

#12 Mr. Bassturd

Mr. Bassturd

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 285 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 12:51 AM

dude I didn't read much of this but for sure im going after it.. I have one lure that I lost on two separate occasions in the same tree the first time snagged it broke my line about a week later I went over to the other side of the river climbed the tree it was hangin over the water and wasn't very thick maybe 5 inches at the base but there was two trunks which helped. so  I climbed the tree with a rope threw it over the branch and pulled in my lure, so I cross back over to the otherside again and continue fishing when I snag that same dam tree again. so I cut and went back for it about a month later retrieved it and also found a nice mepps and a cleo hangin beside mine scooped all three and still have all three of them to this day

#13 Kit

Kit

Canadian River Angler

• Premium Account

• 1,895 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 12:53 AM

I've 2 different lure retrievers and neither has produced significant results to make it worth it, which one do you have?

The Bass Pro one that looks like a perch

#14 FishingNoob

FishingNoob

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 11:12 AM

The Bass Pro one that looks like a perch

Thanks, I'll give that one a shot.

#15 washineton

washineton

Earthworm

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 05:22 AM

beyond your imagination,haha

#16 PikeGoon

PikeGoon

Earthworm

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 06:54 AM

While trolling on Rice Lake about 15 years ago with some friends I snagged one of my fathers Rapala minnows; one he has had for 30+ years. There was no way I could simply cut off this lure; and Rice Lake being shallow in the weedy bays, I went over board and was able to retrieve it from the base of the weeds :)

#17 Kit

Kit

Canadian River Angler

• Premium Account

• 1,895 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 12:36 PM

Thanks, I'll give that one a shot.

Id replace the string on it though.. Thats the down side of it. I replaced mine with 1/16 military para cord. way stronger. so you can reef on it. I felt that there was too much slack with the rope it came with.

#18 FishingNoob

FishingNoob

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 01:22 PM

Id replace the string on it though.. Thats the down side of it. I replaced mine with 1/16 military para cord. way stronger. so you can reef on it. I felt that there was too much slack with the rope it came with.

Thanks for the advice.

#19 Lure

Lure

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 292 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 06:17 PM

I always have my 50 Lbs. Braided line with me ....

#20 steelies

steelies

Sunfish

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 04:24 PM

Never had to swim for a lure yet, but I did take a dip for an anchor that my friend forgot to tie to his boat. Dove down 15 feet in my birthday suit since I did not feel like fishing the whole day with a damp crotch. Well the thanks I got from my friends were comments like, "water must have been cold eh?" while pointing at my crotch and laughing...... Ah good times.