• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 King_Slayer

King_Slayer

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 09:25 PM

Half the fun for me fishing out at the pier is watching all the Salmon jump, I love watching them get completely out of the water into the air. It's pretty entertaining especially if the fish aren't biting much. I've found that if they're jumping like crazy, they're not biting on my J13's or spoons. Does anyone know what they're doing when they're jumping like that? I always just assumed they were feeding, but now I'm not so sure, after watching some of them jump and do flips in the air, like a dolphin. Just curious, when I go to the pier and there is no Salmon jumping, I know I'm going to catch fish. Can't figure this out.

#2 Knuguy

Knuguy

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 996 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 09:27 PM

Quite often they jump to shake the lampreys off.

#3 King_Slayer

King_Slayer

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 09:33 PM

Yea, I have seen them jump with Lampreys attached, I just think it's weird how some mornings they'll be a hundred jumping Salmon, and the next morning it will be silent.....then two days later they'll be jumping like crazy again? Different batch of fish that just got to the river mouth maybe? I dunno.

#4 Kleiner

Kleiner

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 266 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 09:38 PM

Funny you say that, last time I went they were jumping like crazy and I caught nothing. Although I did see a few other ppl hook up. I'm new to salmon fishing so I couldn't give you a reason. But I did also see one jump with a lampray attatched... and I agree it is quite entertaining to watch even if you're not catching anything

#5 King_Slayer

King_Slayer

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 10:09 PM

Yea I usually see one or two landed even when they're jumping like that, but I have much better luck when they're not. Like yesterday morning they weren't jumping at all and I got 3 fish in two hours, which in my opinion is good.

#6 Rainbow

Rainbow

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 10:31 PM

I see them roll on the surface sometimes and I've never really heard a scientific explanation for why they do that. They often jump straight out when those pesky sea lampreys attach themselves. You'll know a lamprey attached itself to one when the same fish jumps several times in a row to get it off.

#7 King_Slayer

King_Slayer

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 11:39 PM

Yea Rainbow that makes sense...I guess that's why they're harder to catch when they're jumping like that, because they're not feeding, but trying to loose a lamprey. I'm sticking with that explanation....

#8 Knuguy

Knuguy

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 996 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 09:01 PM

Just breaching is different, though. I'm not sure why thay do that, but I've seen a lot breaching and none biting. It's frustrating know that there are lots out there but not biting.

#9 King_Slayer

King_Slayer

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 09:17 PM

I agree Knuguy, It can be frustrating getting no bites while they're all around you. I've fished for hours upon hours before while they're acting this way with no bites at all, and then YAM! all of a sudden one will strike. I don't get it.....but I guess it can be like that with all types fishing, even bass.

#10 MATTD

MATTD

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 06:58 PM

I tried Pier fishing with my fly rod last week while i was around a West trib.  They were jumping like crazy and it was amazing to see but none were hooked when I was there.  When I see Atlantic Salmon doing this in NS they are trying to get the sea lice off but probably not the case in Lake Ontario.  But maybe another parasite?

#11 King_Slayer

King_Slayer

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 12:52 PM

They weren't jumping to much early this morning, and I finally ended my four day skunk. Last Thursday was the last time I got one, so maybe Thursdays are my lucky day. Usually I use glow spoons at night, but instead used my X-Raps and had a lot of success.

#12 staffman

staffman

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 02:03 PM

I always heard that they jump to loosen the eggs that they have in them , before entering the rivers to spawn.

#13 coldfeet

coldfeet

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 354 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 03:37 PM

Maybe they're just jumping for joy :razz: It always makes me jump when I'm standing in the river and they jump right behind me. Maybe they're just getting a visual, we were whale watching down east and they pop up just to have a look sometimes

#14 King_Slayer

King_Slayer

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 11:53 AM

If anybody wants to go fishing with me this week PM me, my schedule is kinda rough but maybe somebody else is a night owl like me. I'm out west and I fish mon-fri, from about 1am-7am. Let me know if anyone is interested.