• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 John from CRAA

John from CRAA

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 05:51 PM

As many of you know, the fishway is closed and the new ladder not built on Bowmanville Creek (yes it's crazy). Volunteers are lifting salmon and trout over by hand. Volunteers are needed every day!

They have lifted roughly 4,100 fish so far.

If you guys are looking to help out with your fishery they could sure use some assistance lifting the fish over the dam. Contact Dave to volunteer.  Dave Lawson  905-985-1407 

Thanks,

John

CRAA

www.craa.on.ca

#2 ChasinTails

ChasinTails

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 05:56 PM

I'm in

#3 Lure

Lure

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 292 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 06:11 PM

this is poaching legally .......  :razz:  :razz:  :razz:  :razz:

#4 Giuga10

Giuga10

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 06:27 PM

this is poaching legally .......  :razz:  :razz:  :razz:  :razz:

??? They are transporting the fish over the ladder, not stripping the eggs to send to a hatchery??

#5 Lure

Lure

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 292 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 06:31 PM

??? They are transporting the fish over the ladder, not stripping the eggs to send to a hatchery??

yupp ....... I wish I can go ... I have work. 

#6 Lure

Lure

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 292 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 06:38 PM

nice video you got there dude ... under the bridge

#7 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 06:45 PM

they spent a ton of money tearing down and rebuilding the dam, but can't have the fish ladder ready for the spring or fall runs??  this is the 2nd fall they've had to manually lift fish

#8 salmotrutta

salmotrutta

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 09:58 PM

I'm confused, thought the ladder was finished? Weren't steelhead jumping by on their own in the Spring? Didn't see a single salmon upstream in Bowmanville creek today when I took a brief look in a section fairly far upstream, where the heck are those 4100 fish hiding. Or is someone illegally taking them before they can make it up that far? Other tribs I've had no problem spotting them way upstream.   

#9 LogJam

LogJam

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 252 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 08:17 AM

the old guy that runs the show is a complete Douche bag! they have a fence up near the dam so people cant go near and scare the fish. but if you walk down stream to the dam in the water you end up in the middle of the fenced off area. then get yelled at by some old grumpy dude... i dont see why he has to be so grumpy.... i also dont see any reason for the dam to even be there in the first place... waste of time money and effort if you ask me.. just get rid of the old thing and restore the river to its natural habitat.

#10 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 08:38 AM

You're too young to take this seriously.

#11 steve7321

steve7321

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 10:15 AM

Was there on Sunday and there was a ton of fish at the dam. I was disgusted by the amount of people below the no fishing sign flossing fish in shallow water and keeping everything they snag. Looked like every Asian in Canada was there doing the same thing with their $20 fishing rods and likely no license. Where is the mnr when you need them. But I will definitely take the 2 hour drive to help and do some fishing way down river.

#12 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 11:06 AM

Looked like every Asian in Canada was there doing the same thing with their $20 fishing rods and likely no license.

Racial profiling at it's best...

#13 steelhead101

steelhead101

Sunfish

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 05:22 PM

no dis respect to the volunteers, but isnt this salmon lift kind of beating around the bush? the bowmanville darn is like 6 feet high, not like the beaver river 30 ft high dam. It doesnt need a fish way! all it needs is a after noon with a back hoe,a few guys with shovels and about 25 landscaping stones, it really isnt that big of a job and it sure as hell isnt rocket science! or atleast as a temporary until they finish this "fish way"