• This topic is locked This topic is locked
90 replies to this topic

#21 w_ boughner

w_ boughner

Perch

• Active Members
  • 647 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 04:52 AM

You should have taken pictures of his face and followed him to his car and take a pic of his license plate for the co

#22 DaveC

DaveC

Sunfish

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 06:27 AM

So do people buy this poop? Why does he have so much. Maybe I am just really sheltered but if a guy came up to me with a bag and asked if I wanted to buy roe, I would tell him to f*ck off.

I have seen stuff like this before and it makes me sick.

I would say, that almost everyone is guilty of harvesting roe... I have done it myself. As long as its within the regulations of fishing and possession limits. If someone offers to sell roe....that's a WHOLE other story. Id buy it to coincide with the arrival of police or a CO !!!  Having said that, there is many other ways of obtaining roe. Hatchery Roe is just as good....no mess to old dying salmon to dispose of ( because that's what happens ) least I would not eat a decaying fish. Sooner or later, fishing roe all the time gets boring...and looking for alternatives such as fly fishing, tossing jigs, beads, streamers and plastics will sometimes out produce roe. Catching a fish on something you made or tied up ( tricking the fish ) is more of a thrill to me. I doubt it will ever get banned....and even though some people don't like it, as long as its done within regulations you really have no say. Other than that, if you see someone over harvesting report it.

#23 Brian

Brian

Perch

• Active Members
  • 553 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 07:24 AM

I was leaving the river around 10am yesterday because the sun rose above the trees and it was no longer nice n cool...On my way back they were moving in groups; trying to fish 3/4 ounce cleos in 3 inches of water...

Sad sights brother Chase...

I just kept my eyes to the ground and made my way to the car...

#24 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 07:59 AM

that is just retarded. should post that picture everywhere, including an email to the mnr

i agree DaveC, we have all at one time collected roe, but probably not to that extent, but i am willing to bet not one of us has left the fish to rot on the shore.  i kept one fresh female last year, the meat was eaten by my g/f family, and i kept the roe.

now though, i fish salmon for my buddy to feed his dogs, but we have standards, small male chinooks(under 20lbs) and spawned out females are fair game, the huge males we release to pass on their genes, and the females that haven't spawned yet are released. that and we don't start keeping fish til late in the run

#25 PUMP KNOWS

PUMP KNOWS

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 09:24 AM

What are peoples thoughts on giving fish away while on shore fishing?

I caught and released a Chinook yesterday and someone on shore asked if they can keep the fish.

Im assuming it has to be in your possession until you get home before giving it away?

#26 w_ boughner

w_ boughner

Perch

• Active Members
  • 647 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 09:29 AM

What are peoples thoughts on giving fish away while on shore fishing?

I caught and released a Chinook yesterday and someone on shore asked if they can keep the fish.

Im assuming it has to be in your possession until you get home before giving it away?

they have to have a license to have a caught fish in there possession whether they caught or it was given to them

#27 Knuguy

Knuguy

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 996 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 09:30 AM

I have seen some obscene stuff on the internet, but that's 1 of the worst!! 

#28 Alfiegee

Alfiegee

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 09:30 AM

I Agee that we all who use roe for the most part harvest at some point in the year but I never discard the carcass on the side of the river because whether the fish is going to die or not it's illegal to abandon game!!!!! If you don't want to eat it there's always a man who's more than willing to put it to use or I fertilize my garden with it .. There is no reason to just discard the carcass and it is illegal to do so

You are correct Sir in that it is illegal to discard the carcass of a game fish. I really hate to use that term, carcass.

I for one have never "harvested" a Salmon for her roe. The only time I do use roe is if a friend hands me a few bags.

I'm going out on a limb here but I don't imagine CC has ever, either.

As I suggested earlier, yarn or other alternatives work just as well as the real thing.

Alfie.

As for everyone that wrote comments while I was writing mine, calm down children.

#29 Alfiegee

Alfiegee

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 10:18 AM

Calm down children?.. I assure you that I am far beyond my childhood years, and I take great offence to anyone who makes racially motivated comments.. I can understand, that YOU AS A WHITE MAN, have no idea what I am talking about.. And if you see no intentional racist remarks.. well than we know where you stand..

Oh and FYI,

I know that Chase Chrome has drifted roe (within the last year) to catch fish... In fact, a few members on this board can verify this.... So please.....

Sorry if I offended you driftin, didn't mean to. I have been discriminated against enough in my life. We all bleed red. I just hate when a persons origins come up on the forum. One guy I fish with is Asian and he will catch more fish than you or I every day. And everyone is catch and release.

Alfie.

#30 usernamehere

usernamehere

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 488 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 11:35 AM

they have to have a license to have a caught fish in there possession whether they caught or it was given to them

err..........what? So you are saying I illegally gave a bunch of perch to my elderly neighbors?

#31 ChasinTails

ChasinTails

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 12:41 PM

err..........what? So you are saying I illegally gave a bunch of perch to my elderly neighbors?

now you did it  :mrgreen:

#32 troutddicted

troutddicted

Bouts with trouts

• Moderators
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 01:11 PM

Caviar, for food or for sale most likely.  Don't need eggs to catch salmon, you need a fly rod and proper upstream positioning for the swing :evil:

#33 guest

Smallmouth Bass

• Closed Accounts
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 01:16 PM

dozer I am having those words tattooed on me somewhere as soon as  I can..also roe guy should have got a kick in the tooth...

#34 w_ boughner

w_ boughner

Perch

• Active Members
  • 647 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 01:25 PM

as far as I know if a co saw you walking from the river to your car with a fish and you do not have a license you can be fined and if you already have a license and you have your limit and are given another fish it puts you over your limit !! And as for giving them to your neighbor if it wasn't purchased I do believe they can not posses wild caught fish with out a license other wise you could catch fish to the possession of everyone in your house whether they have a license or not!! Which I know for a fact that you can only posses the maximum limit for the number of licenses in your house and of children under the age of needing a license

#35 Kleiner

Kleiner

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 266 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 01:26 PM

Thanks CC I'm totally disgusted right now... after a long and rewarding day on the river, now after pounding back some beers almost seem sentimental enough to cry  :( no joke dead serious...

on a good note my 8 year old legitimately hooked and landed his first nook... pops sure knows how to pick the pools ;-)  

Wow, congrats to your son! My 7 year old would be thrilled to hook into a salmon!!!

#36 troutddicted

troutddicted

Bouts with trouts

• Moderators
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 01:39 PM

:lol:  Fly guys make float fishermen look like school girls when it comes to salmon fishing :lol: Just some innocent fun and games dude. 

#37 DaveC

DaveC

Sunfish

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 02:58 PM

that is just retarded. should post that picture everywhere, including an email to the mnr

i agree DaveC, we have all at one time collected roe, but probably not to that extent, but i am willing to bet not one of us has left the fish to rot on the shore.  i kept one fresh female last year, the meat was eaten by my g/f family, and i kept the roe.

now though, i fish salmon for my buddy to feed his dogs, but we have standards, small male chinooks(under 20lbs) and spawned out females are fair game, the huge males we release to pass on their genes, and the females that haven't spawned yet are released. that and we don't start keeping fish til late in the run

I agree with you that his collection of eggs is over harvesting no doubt...and that is cause for concern. I have a problem with the word consumable when a big black salmon from Lake Ontario is considered edible. Anyone in their right mind eating these 30lb dying fish is plain crazy. I find it wrong to feed these fish to friends and neighbors without informing them of the potential health risks. Fertilize your garden is fine...but eat that stuff...no way!! I have no guilt myself in taking the fish for eggs only...so long as its within my limit. What I do with it after that is my business....but Im sure not eating it. :eek: . In fact I don't know if its even dog worthy. :lol:

#38 Giuga10

Giuga10

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 03:15 PM

I was leaving the river around 10am yesterday because the sun rose above the trees and it was no longer nice n cool...On my way back they were moving in groups; trying to fish 3/4 ounce cleos in 3 inches of water...

Sad sights brother Chase...

I just kept my eyes to the ground and made my way to the car...

I have fished sppons the same size as that cleo in quite shallow water this past week and have had very good luck with it, don't assume they are snagging because they are using something that isn't commonly used.

I decided to switch it up this year and have been almost 100% lure fishing for salmon in the rivers and they work extremely well, 4-7" Jerkbaits, Crankbaits, and Swimbaits along with other stuff. No I'm not snagging, I know how to draw a strike, unless you've literally seen them trying to snag, don't make assumptions.

#39 ChaseChrome

ChaseChrome

Banned

• Banned
  • 2,448 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 03:31 PM

Think this isn't really a thread about snagging...in fact I foul hooked two fish on the weekend...

It's really a meditation on, or a question of whether this activity is necessary (can it be condoned in ANY way, for WHATEVER reason?)

Would our fishery suffer from a ban on roe, or the economy for that matter?

Some of you talk about "limits" as an argument based in current law...but my argument of "limits" is of an intrinsic nature.

Ought living things not possess intrinsic value...can one marshal a counter argument based upon utility or rights?

Anyway, I'll have more...

But suffice to say (with the exception of some here), I know some solid float guys who tie a pretty fair fly and who are creative and environmentally conscious who would still catch their limit of august fish without roe...

thanks

cc

#40 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 07:56 PM

I agree with you that his collection of eggs is over harvesting no doubt...and that is cause for concern. I have a problem with the word consumable when a big black salmon from Lake Ontario is considered edible. Anyone in their right mind eating these 30lb dying fish is plain crazy. I find it wrong to feed these fish to friends and neighbors without informing them of the potential health risks. Fertilize your garden is fine...but eat that stuff...no way!! I have no guilt myself in taking the fish for eggs only...so long as its within my limit. What I do with it after that is my business....but Im sure not eating it. :eek: . In fact I don't know if its even dog worthy. :lol:

very much dog worthy,in fact, its pretty healthy for them, they have naturally high tolerances to bacteria thanks to their wolf origins, i mean aton of people feed their dogs raw chicken with no issues.

but CC said, its not an issue of snagging or foul hooking, it happens to everyone.  its an issue of whether its healthy for a sustainable population of salmon for future generations