• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Bow Man

Bow Man

Smallmouth Bass

• Banned
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 07:14 PM

So a interesting topic came up on another forum that I am a member, just wanted to here what you think.

So the topic was about catching minnows in lake Ontario, Port Dalhousie, Welland canal..etc..etc and using them In lake Erie. Some says it is not allowed and some say it is better not to, and others say it is fine.

So what do you all think? I have checked and there does not seem to be a clear answer even from the MNR.

I personally do not use live bait so I am uncertain, but if I did I don't think I would. 

thanks

Bow Man

#2 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 07:23 PM

should only use live bait that come from the same body of water you're fishing to try and limit the spread of diseases

#3 troutddicted

troutddicted

Bouts with trouts

• Moderators
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 07:33 PM

Erie flows into Lake O and are connected by the Welland Canal.  Same water pretty much... however if Lake O has some sort of disease going around then I would say def. not using Lake O minnows in Erie to slow ( maybe prevent ) the spread of nasties.

#4 Bow Man

Bow Man

Smallmouth Bass

• Banned
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 07:33 PM

should only use live bait that come from the same body of water you're fishing to try and limit the spread of diseases

That is what I think, but I have not been able to really find a definitive answer. Also what diseases would minnows be carrying?

#5 ChasinTails

ChasinTails

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 08:07 PM

That is what I think, but I have not been able to really find a definitive answer. Also what diseases would minnows be carrying?

anything really

#6 Bow Man

Bow Man

Smallmouth Bass

• Banned
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 08:10 PM

anything really

OK like what ??? What diseases are in Ontario that are not in Erie?? Just curious. 

cheers

#7 troutddicted

troutddicted

Bouts with trouts

• Moderators
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 08:34 PM

A virus can mutate into new forms or a ship could dump ballast water that contains nasties.  As Jmatt stated before, not good to move live bait fish from one lake to another.

#8 Bow Man

Bow Man

Smallmouth Bass

• Banned
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 06:18 AM

A virus can mutate into new forms or a ship could dump ballast water that contains nasties.  As Jmatt stated before, not good to move live bait fish from one lake to another.

Again i agree, i do not want to do this ( use minnows from ontario in erie ). I am just curious as to what diseases are in Ontario that are not in Erie, just seems that know one can answer this... I have checked and even the MNR gives mixed answers. ( to the use of minnows from Ontario in Erie ).

So i was hoping that maybe someone here can give some input to as why you should not and what diseases they are.

#9 TRINIBOY

TRINIBOY

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 08:03 AM

That's a question only a biologist studying both water ways can answer. From a a fishermans perspective we just know that it's not a good idea. Lets say there was an outbreak of botulism amost the minnows but the one you caught and carted did not look infected but was? That's what everyone is really saying you don't know for sure so why chance it.

#10 Christopher K

Christopher K

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 995 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 09:10 AM

It's definitely allowed, but as others have said if possible it's best to get it from the same waterbody.

#11 Bow Man

Bow Man

Smallmouth Bass

• Banned
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 10:30 AM

It's definitely allowed, but as others have said if possible it's best to get it from the same waterbody.

Would you like to give me a link to where you seen that it is allowed please. I have not gotten a definitive answer from anywhere.

cheers

#12 OCDComputing

OCDComputing

Perch

• Active Members
  • 564 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 10:36 AM

From what I see, there is nothing against it.

http://www.mnr.gov.o...L02_165361.html

#13 w_ boughner

w_ boughner

Perch

• Active Members
  • 647 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 11:04 AM

You can use baitfish from one body of water in another but you can not release live minnows in to another body of water

#14 iJay

iJay

Hero Drift

• Active Members
  • 830 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 11:33 AM

If we all fished with Jellyfish as bait, we would not have this issue.

#15 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 12:18 PM

also why some places don't allow felt bottomed wading boots

#16 AKnook

AKnook

Perch

• Active Members
  • 578 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 12:38 PM

Felt is already banned in AK. 

#17 Christopher K

Christopher K

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 995 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 12:47 PM

Felt is already banned in AK. 

Why?

#18 buck

buck

Perch

• Active Members
  • 867 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 03:06 PM

Why?

#19 Kleiner

Kleiner

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 266 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 08:56 PM

same reason you're supposed to pull all the sea weed off your boat trailer and leave it at the lake you just pulled your boat out of, instead of bringing it with you to the next lake. It prevents the spread of invasive species/disease.