• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 AKnook

AKnook

Perch

• Active Members
  • 578 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 07:38 PM

Being called out as a condescending poster trying to prove "look how good of an angler I am" on a report sharing website in AK the other day has gotten me thinking.  Do I really come off that way?

I take A LOT of photos on the water.  Photos of wildlife, the river, friends, and of course the fish.  I only harvest salmon and do 100% C&R for all other species.  A picture is all I take home for me and it is my trophy.  I take these photos for me.  I post them to share as that is what I also enjoy when reading reports and or magazines.  I love looking at photos of fish and fishable places that I hope to one day visit.

Whenever I post a photo I do so because that is what I like to see.  I could care less about my ego.  I know many people who do not take photos and that is fine.  To each their own.  I like the photos.  I take them also so I don't forget.  These will be cherished more when I am on a rocking chair unable to go out like I used to.  They are also for my kids.  I would have loved to have had my father or grandfather be avid fisherman and have those old fishing pics of them with their catch on my mantle. 

I also like the pics because it takes me back to that specific day.  The smells, conversations, moods and sights. I have about 25 photos in my office.  I can tell you that I have had some pretty hectic days and what calmed the day down was taking a break and sitting there looking at those photos.  I was taken back to  doing what I love to do for a moment before being back in the grind.

Do I take hero shots?  Yea, but not always.  I take many different photos.  I just like sharing the pics so others can enjoy.  I enjoy all photos of fish, methods of fishing them and great write ups.  This is what I do when not fishing.  Look at photos, reports and or articles. 

It gives me the drive to go out there and get my own fish, and gain my own experience.  Hero shots, close ups of fish, under water shots, whatever, I welcome them all and enjoy them.  Character is what I judge not a fish photo.  End rant. 

Fish on!

Paul

994611_10151906831778454_9387087_n.jpg

#2 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 07:42 PM

you're pictures are awesome....keep posting them.  who cares what other people say, you're proud of your catch and want to share it.  anyone who complains is just jealous

#3 MadocFlyGuy

MadocFlyGuy

Perch

• Moderators
  • 753 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 07:45 PM

AK your pictures are some of the best on here - this is a fishing site - I can't believe someone faulted you for posting photos of fish... GOD FORBID :P

lol

keep your swagger man, it's why I love your posts!

#4 ChasinTails

ChasinTails

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 08:05 PM

Whatever you do don't stop posting pictures mainly because I'm not coming to ak any time soon and those pics make up for it any one that says something is jealous

#5 Mr. Bassturd

Mr. Bassturd

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 285 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 08:06 PM

Unfortunately we cannot always help how others view and perceive our posts and pics that we post.  Nothing against u personally dude u seem like a great fisherman and I do enjoy looking at your pics but I personally wouldn't of posted some of the same pics u have posted, not that I wouldn't have taken some "hero shots" for my own viewing IMO I just wouldn't have posted them. The only reason I mention this is because u asked, But u do come off kind of like look at me if that is your intent or not different story.  But judging by this post you have thought this through and enjoy sharing your pics and stories so post on, don't worry about it, and lets face it most people in our daily lifes couldn't be bothered to appreciate our stories and pics of fishing that's partially the fun of posting online so we can find others who appreciate it. :idea:

#6 MENACE

MENACE

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 267 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 08:07 PM

Love the way you ended your rant with another photo!. I enjoy all of them. Keep on sharing!

#7 ChaseChrome

ChaseChrome

Banned

• Banned
  • 2,448 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 08:27 PM

Don't remember that post AK...would have been happy to contribute, though my intervention may not have placed you in better stead sorry to say. Alas, expect more of that here as the demographics shift.

Nice contributions from ya as always...gives us pause to consider other parts of this wonderful planet.

cheers

cc

#8 FishingNoob

FishingNoob

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 08:37 PM

What the?!?! Why would anyone have a problem, you are an awesome dude, one of the big contributors... Forget the poster.

#9 Rainbow

Rainbow

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 08:48 PM

Those people are probably jealous or something, haha. One of the things I really like about forums are the photos that people post. Ain't nothing wrong with a few hero shots if you ask me :cool:

#10 GuitarBuildingAngler

GuitarBuildingAngler

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 399 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 08:56 PM

AK. I love your posts. Enough said.

#11 fishing with a fly

fishing with a fly

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 09:06 PM

ak keep it up love your photos

#12 Slickrick

Slickrick

Sunfish

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 09:39 PM

feel free to keep making me jealous of all the species of salmon and trout I cannot catch in Ontario.

#13 Brian

Brian

Perch

• Active Members
  • 553 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 09:41 PM

I don't think you have posted one photo that I did not like...I enjoyed looking at all of them and enjoyed reading your reports; even show em to the mrs, and she agrees with me that we have to visit Alaska sometime.

You can't please everyone...try to please yourself...

#14 BnK

BnK

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 398 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 09:56 PM

Well said! I enjoyed reading it and completely agree. 

Happy fishing everyone :) may your bobbers bob like hell muahhaha :D

#15 Giuga10

Giuga10

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 10:31 PM

I absolutely love your pics. Stunning photos, regardless of whether they have a fish or not in it, those guys are nuts. Keep on sharing those pics, they're spectacular!

#16 buck

buck

Perch

• Active Members
  • 867 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 11:00 PM

#17 CJR

CJR

#RNS

• Active Members
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 01:29 AM

Wow really? Who called you out?

I've always appreciated the photo's that you've shared on here, Keep em coming. Nice to see all those different species you catch including the ones we can't catch here in Ontario.  

Honestly dude, people are just jealous if they're saying that.  

haters-gonna-hate.jpg

#18 w_ boughner

w_ boughner

Perch

• Active Members
  • 647 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 02:26 AM

Keep up the hero shots !!! I will take more as well and we can piss of the haters together !! :)

#19 RobH

RobH

Sunfish

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 08:32 AM

Why take pictures if you can't share them.  I fish alone alot and don't like to take the shot in the grass unless it's a special fish. Most of my most memorable fish have not been photographed.  When I'm with friends, we take pictures.