Photo

MNR crashing our fishery in front of our eye's?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 ChasinTails

ChasinTails

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 07:24 PM

there would, probably a large cart with a winch at the top taking 10 salmon at a time with water 

#22 LordMykiss

LordMykiss

Perch

• Active Members
  • 851 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 07:27 PM

Do they still stock bowmanville? i thought it was very self sustaining. as far as Atlantic salmon, i heard (maybe a rumour/maybe true)at the the sportsmen show that there is a strain of Atlantic that can survive lake O, issues is they can't put the adults in there and let them spawn, so basically they are waiting for the grand children of that strain to be the one that will sticks around and reproduces. i project 5-10 years from now the Atlantic will be back in numbers, assume by then we don't pollute the water even more.

#23 ChasinTails

ChasinTails

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 07:29 PM

Do they still stock bowmanville? i thought it was very self sustaining. as far as Atlantic salmon, i heard (maybe a rumour/maybe true)at the the sportsmen show that there is a strain of Atlantic that can survive lake O, issues is they can't put the adults in there and let them spawn, so basically they are waiting for the grand children of that strain to be the one that will sticks around and reproduces. i project 5-10 years from now the Atlantic will be back in numbers, assume by then we don't pollute the water even more.

by then population will significantly increase due to exponential growth causing more of a demand and more loogans, i doubt atlantics will come back by themselves

#24 steelhead101

steelhead101

Sunfish

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 11:01 PM

as for pacific salmon i dont believe they do, you see the odd clipped fin but i think they are usually just strays.

I had the chance to speak with one of the leading biologist's for the project and he said that the original lake ontario atlantic salmon evolved over century's. and that they have never found a single salmon's gene's to match that of the original strain. The strain your mentioning is predicted to be "more" successful ( key word being more...) The consensus seems to be that the only way Atlantic's will return like they use to is if the settings are brought back to what they originally were no pacific salmon no resi browns. He said that the atlantic fry simply cannot cohabit with the chinook or rainbow for a number of reasons ( i assume stress, aggression, using up the food source etc..) The other problem is atlantic's run in the summer, our low flow damned river's just dont have the flow to create enough oxygen in the hot months of summer for the salmon to cope.( hence why so many die as soon as we handle them, since they're already stressed beyond belief)

To me the only logical solution of this project is that they will have to step on somebody's toes. they should take a river, lets say the wilmot (last place atlantics ever swam) relocate resident brown trout and steelhead, crash the chinook and coho population. start planting trees, take out the concrete blocks in the river, destroy the damns, possibly redirect other creeks to  increase flow. and after about 10 years start stocking atlantics, then with out a doubt you will once again be able to walk on their backs across the river. Alot of people try and compare the st mary's atlantic salmon to the credit river's but the main issue their that that river dwarfs the credit dispersing the chinook and rainbow fry. they also can maintain flow all year round, and even then their numbers are not that amazing. 

id like to hear as to what your reasoning is as to why they will be successful, i just seemed to have found more negative than positive information in my own research of the project.

#25 alwayscatching

alwayscatching

Smallmouth Bass

• Moderators
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 11:09 PM

Dozer said the exact words I would have said, there are many behind the scenes problems. People don't know how hard certain things are these days. The average joe is the first to open his mouth but could never survive in a position with the MNR.

#26 Rainbow

Rainbow

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 11:11 PM

Check this out http://www.bringback...ca/?page_id=101

#27 NaturehasIT

NaturehasIT

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 11:24 PM

speeking of.... it hit the news chek it out!

http://www.citynews....owmanville-dam/

is that the fishbum dude in the red coat?

Thnk You for the video.situation has drawn the news people

#28 DitchWizard

DitchWizard

Perch

• Active Members
  • 693 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 11:40 PM

nice read.

Q:  Is Atlantic Salmon a popular sport fish?

A: Atlantic Salmon are world renowned as a sport fish. Their scientific name, Salmo salar, translates roughly as "leaping salmon".

love to see them in numbers

#29 LordMykiss

LordMykiss

Perch

• Active Members
  • 851 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 11:45 PM

nice read.

Q:  Is Atlantic Salmon a popular sport fish?

A: Atlantic Salmon are world renowned as a sport fish. Their scientific name, Salmo salar, translates roughly as "leaping salmon".

love to see them in numbers

watch some videos of finish atlantic salmon, they dwarf coho and and keep up with size of an average chinook.

#30 streamside88

streamside88

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 05:31 PM

bump

#31 streamside88

streamside88

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 04:25 PM

more attention to the bowmanville (Goodyear) dam....

http://www.spreaker....son=user_denied

online talk show from one of the bowmanville anglers club member or what ever......

#32 streamside88

streamside88

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 04:30 PM

there trying to get it done by spring....

#33 Kit

Kit

Canadian River Angler

• Premium Account

• 1,895 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 04:53 PM

This is crazy. Man.

#34 ChasinTails

ChasinTails

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 05:49 PM

was at bowmanville the other day, its horrific half dead salmon gasping for air, dead gutted salmon floating down the river, dead salmon piling up in the shallows, not to mention that it wreaks like terribly... we need a tsunami to clear up the river, i cant find a way to vollunteer so if anyone knows a way how to a pm would be greatly appreciated