• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 LordMykiss

LordMykiss

Perch

• Active Members
  • 851 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 12:06 AM

hey all. After 16 years i am thinking of getting new waders. i have one garbage rubber, heavy and slippery ones. pair of hip waders which i use all summer and spring but makes it hard to wade deeper waters, and a neoprene that i love, but it has a hole by the thigh(which is fixable) but gets really wet in winter from all the perspiration, but also keeps me warm/wind proof. I was thinking of buying one of these, anyone have a pair that can give me some input, or even something with better pricing that is as good. also wanted to mention i don't want to buy neoprenes any more, never used any other wader to be able to tell if they are good up to minus 2c degrees and April, May, September weather. also prefer boot less, as i have a pair of good wading boots.

i am open to other suggestions, wader brands/stores. i do tend to sit and kneel a lot and bushwhack, and like to fish standing in water depending on situations. i fish minimum 8 hours per day trip, and few hours weekly.  i am planing to head out at least 4 times a week before ice sets in. so i need something durable that won't break my bank, or i would of picked simms G3 guide, as it is rated best wader on many sites.

my number one choice, cause i really like the design, not really sold on the boot, i would assume the wader is a 190 dollar wader http://www.basspro.c...12073104363714/

and probably my second choice just cause of brand

http://www.basspro.c...11100705011925/

and

http://www.basspro.c...11100605012319/

and

http://www.basspro.c...oduct/10219691/

thanks in advanced.

#2 w_ boughner

w_ boughner

Perch

• Active Members
  • 647 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 02:02 AM

Have you looked at any of the stremside products ?
They have a heavy durable and a thin light pair of breathable's the heavy ones are around 350 I believe and would suit your demands well

#3 w_ boughner

w_ boughner

Perch

• Active Members
  • 647 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 02:05 AM

And I would avoid bass pro for what stuff for warranty purposes!! If you have a problem with them you have to send it to the manufacturer but if you buy it from a local tackel shop you can take it back and they will give you a new pair off the shelf

#4 LordMykiss

LordMykiss

Perch

• Active Members
  • 851 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 02:06 AM

where can you grab it from? can i go physically wear it anywhere? but i will look it up online.

#5 LordMykiss

LordMykiss

Perch

• Active Members
  • 851 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 02:09 AM

And I would avoid bass pro for what stuff for warranty purposes!! If you have a problem with them you have to send it to the manufacturer but if you buy it from a local tackel shop you can take it back and they will give you a new pair off the shelf

issue is selection, location and pricing. and most important physically being able to wear them. good review online also help. around me i have lebaron, sail, bass pro, al flaherty's, angling speciality which pricing is not to my taste on anything they have, Canadian tire, and bunch on Sheppard avenue which i am not even sure carry waders. these are the ones i know of, if there is more, let me know, i'll be more than happy to check them out.

this has potential, but no one around me has it, and it is so ugly http://cgemery.com/w...eathable-wader#

#6 Swing4Steel

Swing4Steel

Swing and float

• Active Members
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 05:27 AM

Love my new simms g4s. I burned through 3 pairs of streamsides last year

#7 w_ boughner

w_ boughner

Perch

• Active Members
  • 647 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 06:20 AM

Did you check out the dura weave

#8 w_ boughner

w_ boughner

Perch

• Active Members
  • 647 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 06:24 AM

Love my new simms g4s. I burned through 3 pairs of streamsides last year

what model of streamside did you try ??? A friend of mine went through a couple pair of there cheapest line do to defects before he got a pair that were good but you get what you pay for

#9 Swing4Steel

Swing4Steel

Swing and float

• Active Members
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 08:13 AM

2Pair of 2100 and a pair of 2200. Only paid for the first pair but It was a hassle exchanging them

#10 Swing4Steel

Swing4Steel

Swing and float

• Active Members
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 08:14 AM

The dura weave was ok but I still killed them between january and Now . They are heavy

#11 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 08:15 AM

got a pair of simms freestones, and love em, they're 229 at cabellas, and BP should price match that, they're 249 at BP, and lifetime warranty i believe as well.

also check out william joseph and bare, sail in oshawa carries william joseph

#12 David Parker

David Parker

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 08:48 AM

IMO, Goretex is the only way to go for all year round fishing to keep you comfy and dry for those 8 hours a day of fishing. Pricey though!

Paired with a good pair of "good fitting" wading boots, you'll be happy.

Cheap gear just doesn't do it if you plan on long days on the water in the latter part of the year. Layers of the proper gear will allow you to fish for days in comfort no matter what the weather

If budget is the issue, then go with what you can afford of course. Perhaps go back to what you have used in the past that you have been happy with.

It is important though, find a well equipped shop that will allow you to try the gear on before you buy it to insure that it will fit you comfortably.

#13 hamiltonangler94

hamiltonangler94

Smallmouth Fanatic

• Active Members
  • 1,060 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 09:54 AM

Bought a pair of simms freestones from sail a couple weeks back. Wow wat a difference from my crappy Canadian tire waders. You gotta try them for yourself.

#14 guest

Smallmouth Bass

• Closed Accounts
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 10:55 AM

simms..g3/done

#15 getin

getin

Perch

• Active Members
  • 659 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 11:07 AM

I am looking for a pair too and have heard a lot of good things about simms and Bare. However, the price range even for each brand is very wide. What is the main difference between say Freestones and G3, except the hefty price?

#16 buck

buck

Perch

• Active Members
  • 867 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 11:29 AM

#17 IR4J

IR4J

Perch

• Active Members
  • 884 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 11:29 AM

I am looking for a pair too and have heard a lot of good things about simms and Bare. However, the price range even for each brand is very wide. What is the main difference between say Freestones and G3, except the hefty price?

5 fish, give or take 

but in all seriousness I think its just design and the fact the the g3s are goretex  (which i have to say is a very good bonus)

#18 guest

Smallmouth Bass

• Closed Accounts
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 01:15 PM

go and feel the freestones and then the g3--there is a difference in the materials--I hate the price too but was sold on the superior craftsmanship...

#19 IR4J

IR4J

Perch

• Active Members
  • 884 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 01:38 PM

I would also like to point you towards the Dryft waders. Based off of what you are looking at they are right in your price range. I bought a pair about a month ago and love them. dryftfishing.com  

#20 LordMykiss

LordMykiss

Perch

• Active Members
  • 851 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 01:40 PM

thanks all for the input so far, there is a budget i wanted to spend on waders. as beautiful and perfect g3 is, i can put that money toward high end rod. i was looking for something under 300 but still very good. what are your thought on my own selection. as i said before, other wader brands or makes and  suggestions are welcome, as long as the waders are under the 300 dollar range, ability for me to be able to wear them, within the smaller gta area, Mississauga, Vaughan, Pickering, and all of Toronto. also store suggestions would also be very welcomed. i can just go and check out the selection.