• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#41 fishing with a fly

fishing with a fly

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 12:25 AM

There's on fairly tight, pristine east steelhead creek I think they may work on :)

Will talk Chris I'm thinking something west too

#42 Jacklake

Jacklake

Sunfish

• Members
  • 176 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 11:57 PM

Hey HA94,

I know the current 'electronic' style is to check the web and ask questions.  My peeve with that method is that bits of info are here, and bits are there.  Some is in a blog, and some is on a forum thread.  Five guys have an anwer in one place (not always in logical order) and 4 debate a topic elsewhere.  Few of them have a depth of experience and nowhere is there a cohesive body of information or a plan you can follow.  Being an old f@rt I like books - lots of ideas in logical order in one place, especially when you are starting out and wish a foundation of information.  Buy this book and all will be explained re. fishing for smallmouth bass.

#43 RobH

RobH

Sunfish

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 10:11 AM

I'm with Jacklake on that.  Big time.

#44 coldfeet

coldfeet

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 354 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 04:17 PM

Be careful looking at discounted rods at Sail, I picked one up while meandering around there and upon closer inspection was kind of bent/warped. Perhaps an isolated case but just thought I'd make the forum readers aware of it.

#45 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 04:51 PM

Be careful looking at discounted rods at Sail, I picked one up while meandering around there and upon closer inspection was kind of bent/warped. Perhaps an isolated case but just thought I'd make the forum readers aware of it.

99% of the time they discount rods because they are old stock they are trying to clear out, not because they have a defect.  but that being said, you should always fully inspect any rod you plan on purchasing, especially since they are all out in the open and can be handled by anyone

#46 Christopher K

Christopher K

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 995 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 09:16 PM

99% of the time they discount rods because they are old stock they are trying to clear out, not because they have a defect.  but that being said, you should always fully inspect any rod you plan on purchasing, especially since they are all out in the open and can be handled by anyone

Yup, doesn't matter what company you're buying from, was looking at some rods at CT the other day and I think there were 3 rods that were broken in HALF and others with awful cracking.

#47 PUMP KNOWS

PUMP KNOWS

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 09:58 PM

Did you end up buying one yet?

#48 Diana Danger

Diana Danger

Steel Bunny

• Active Members
  • 893 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 10:51 AM

Do you guys think my pink rod will scare away fish?  Someone once told me that the fish will spot me a mile away...true?  Its a 4wt, not sure if that matters...

#49 Christopher K

Christopher K

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 995 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 10:54 AM

Do you guys think my pink rod will scare away fish?  Someone once told me that the fish will spot me a mile away...true?  Its a 4wt, not sure if that matters...

It's a possibility, where do you fish?

#50 Diana Danger

Diana Danger

Steel Bunny

• Active Members
  • 893 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 11:07 AM

It's a possibility, where do you fish?

i havent used the pink rod yet but i will likely spend a lot of my time on east tribs

#51 Christopher K

Christopher K

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 995 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 11:29 AM

Assuming you're fishing the headwaters that is small water, be careful where you point that thing!

#52 guest

Smallmouth Bass

• Closed Accounts
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 12:58 PM

they will likely be more scared by your line hitting the water or your fly slapping the water on your casts as you learn--the rod is not a concern...they will also see a dark ominous shape (human body) before they see a 4mm wide stick flying around,.,,you are all good

#53 guest

Smallmouth Bass

• Closed Accounts
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 12:59 PM

simms entire line of gear has bright orange accents this year--fish are cool that way they appreciate nice color combos..

#54 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 01:38 PM

fish are wary of unnatural colours in their environment, its why the majority of rods are of natural colours, the human outline can be disguised in the background, if its a clear sunny day, wear a light blue shirt, try to match your clothing to the background you are fishing in crystal clear water

#55 Christopher K

Christopher K

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 995 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 01:40 PM

Ck is right, but some people do complain about bright rods spooking fish, might just be excuses though lol!

#56 guest

Smallmouth Bass

• Closed Accounts
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 02:59 PM

my mistake..thats why 99% of lines are bright colors--and simms makes most of thier fishing gear orange now..also fisr dont see directly up they see you against the trees not the sky...makes sense...no human looks like a tree by the way but carry on my mistake to get involved with someone in the know...ignore my post FG --

#57 MadocFlyGuy

MadocFlyGuy

Perch

• Moderators
  • 753 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 03:46 PM

I was always under the impression that this was the case:

http://www.examiner....better-approach

Which explains the conical field of view - including in front, above, and behind them. 

My understanding was you don't need to be wearing a dang gillie suit to catch fish, but you also shouldn't be wearing fluorescent colors from head to toe and frolicking through the stream with no care what so ever (no matter how awesome that imagery is :P) I do tend to take the advice that JMatt has said in wearing neutral colors, but ck has a point as well - a little pink never hurt anyone :P

That being said, I have seen some trout be so dang spooky that a gillie suit would have come in handy - check out videos and articles of people using the "bow and arrow" cast to cast to spooky trout (http://www.ginkandga...eautiful-trout/) is a great link as an example.

At the end of the day, will your pink rod spook the fish? There's only one way to find out ;) My initial guess would be that it will be fine for 90% of the fish you'll be chasing :)

#58 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 08:45 PM

my mistake..thats why 99% of lines are bright colors--and simms makes most of thier fishing gear orange now..also fisr dont see directly up they see you against the trees not the sky...makes sense...no human looks like a tree by the way but carry on my mistake to get involved with someone in the know...ignore my post FG --

there are clear lines, as well as off white coloured lines, if you're casting your FLY line over the fish, of course they're going to see it, its why you have a 9-10ft clear leader at the end of the fly line

#59 RobH

RobH

Sunfish

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 10:29 AM

You can catch fish just charging in but you will catch more with a stealthy approach.  That doesn't mean you need to go to ninja school but have a plan in mind before you approach a run.  Where is the sun?  How clear is the water and should I lengthen my tippet?  Is there  an undercut bank that will transmit my movement and foot steps?  Will I be better off to walk upstream, cross and approach this piece from the other side?  Limit your movement once in place and try, where possible to false cast away from the fish.   Stuff like this will go a long way.

#60 Jacklake

Jacklake

Sunfish

• Members
  • 176 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 03:09 PM

At this moment (2:00 PM on Fri.), the outside temp is +.05 and there is hardly any wind.  So I will soon be in the schoolyard at the end of the street practicing casting.  I consider myself a good caster, and have been complimented on my efortless cast - however - I learned something new at the Sportmen's from the Cortland representative, and the conditions are now good enough for me to try to apply it - distance casting.

My point is (for newbies and also those with new rods - FG):  Don't wait for Spring to start learning, practicing, testing.  Snow does not hurt fly lines - in fact it is a lot nicer to them than grass or gym floors.  Put a small amount of wool at the end of your tippet and get out there for 30 minutes at a time.

Pink rods will only disturb fish if they are flashing nearby - like any shiny thing would.  A good cast, or a decent cast and a good line mend from 20 - 25 feet away will be what is needed - so practice casting when you can't fish.