• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 Hucho Hucho

Hucho Hucho

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 494 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 10:32 AM

I'm thinking about purchasing Raven IM8 14foot any feedback from owners of this rod would be appreciated.

#2 LordMykiss

LordMykiss

Perch

• Active Members
  • 851 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 11:34 AM

13 feet version is amazing. no complaints. except the weight if you are injured. flick of wrist hook sets. soft enough for light leaders, and you control the fish with one of the best  backbones.

#3 Hucho Hucho

Hucho Hucho

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 494 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 11:42 AM

Thanks Klik, That is why I'm thinking 14ft is is better balanced for me and my height.

#4 LordMykiss

LordMykiss

Perch

• Active Members
  • 851 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 06:52 PM

if you have the budget buy the rv9. you will never need to upgrade it unless you want to step in the 800 dollar territory.

#5 Hucho Hucho

Hucho Hucho

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 494 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 10:05 PM

I was thinking about RV9 but did not have it in my hand yet. I have to go and check it out. I like IM8 especially for that long ass handle with sliding reel rings.

I'm  a tall guy and that extra couple inches on handle is alot when fishing all day so i can sick it under my elbow and balance it.

#6 LordMykiss

LordMykiss

Perch

• Active Members
  • 851 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 10:11 PM

I was thinking about RV9 but did not have it in my hand yet. I have to go and check it out. I like IM8 especially for that long ass handle with sliding reel rings.

I'm  a tall guy and that extra couple inches on handle is alot when fishing all day so i can sick it under my elbow and balance it.

i am more than likely sure the handles of the rv9 and the sliding rings are the same. again though, rv9 has the same backbone, same hook set, but it is more forgiving when you fight fish, as in less stiff.  i might get my hands on an rv9 soon, unless i buy that go pro cam lol

#7 troutddicted

troutddicted

Bouts with trouts

• Moderators
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 10:22 PM

IM8 is a beast of a stick.  I was running 12 lb main line with 8 lb flouro fighting salmon in super fast, big water - I had the rod maxed out putting as much pressure as I could until the point my arm got tired and still couldn't turn the damned fish :lol:  After a full day the arm does get sore...  Great warranty service from what I hear and an all around good product for the price point.

#8 Hucho Hucho

Hucho Hucho

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 494 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 10:37 PM

Thanks you guys. I will have to see RV9 first and make sure that cork handle is same length. If it is i will get it if is just an inch shorter no go :). I relay like the feel of that 14 foot IM8.

#9 Hucho Hucho

Hucho Hucho

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 494 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 10:45 PM

Does spending ever stop. I just spend so much money for my fly fishing gear this summer just when i thought OK it is enough, here it comes again.

#10 LordMykiss

LordMykiss

Perch

• Active Members
  • 851 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 10:53 PM

i just bought hook, sinker, pack of pink worms, some net, leader, cost me 70 bucks. and i just made a list for centerpinangling 80 plus tax and buying an rv9 soon, dont even mention spending lol. and i just bought a reel this spring for 640 lol.

end of the day though, on paper, RV9 is a better rod. it is actually known to be the best factory rod there is. difference of 6 inches 13' 6. i think you can email raven and get info on the length of the handle service@raventackle.com they are amazing at responding.

#11 troutddicted

troutddicted

Bouts with trouts

• Moderators
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 10:59 PM

:lol:  Never ending spending!

#12 Hucho Hucho

Hucho Hucho

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 494 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 08:47 AM

I will probably go at Bronte Outdoors and check out RV9 i believe Frank has them in stock and see that handle. :)

#13 Hucho Hucho

Hucho Hucho

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 494 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 09:49 AM

i just bought hook, sinker, pack of pink worms, some net, leader, cost me 70 bucks. and i just made a list for centerpinangling 80 plus tax and buying an rv9 soon, dont even mention spending lol. and i just bought a reel this spring for 640 lol.

end of the day though, on paper, RV9 is a better rod. it is actually known to be the best factory rod there is. difference of 6 inches 13' 6. i think you can email raven and get info on the length of the handle service@raventackle.com they are amazing at responding.

I just got email from Raven:

The cork handles:

14' IM8 - 19 inches

13'6" RV9 - 18 inches

#14 LordMykiss

LordMykiss

Perch

• Active Members
  • 851 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 01:01 PM

so what's the verdict? which one you want? or i guess you still want to try out rv9, i tell you what, the balance is not same as the 13' im8.

#15 Hucho Hucho

Hucho Hucho

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 494 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 03:12 PM

I'm most likely getting 14 foot IM8 i like that extra foot on the rod and extra inch on the cork handle. It will also help on Niagara fishing adventures. (that extra foot for picking up slack line) I have long arms and i had it in my hand just fits like glove. I'm not saying that RV9 is not better rod but i always go for the comfort first. From what i heard you can go wrong with any of Raven rods.

#16 LordMykiss

LordMykiss

Perch

• Active Members
  • 851 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 03:26 PM

well it is 6 inches not a foot. but yeah, go with what you mentally have chosen. i personally when want something i get it. at the end of the day, it does not matter.

#17 w_ boughner

w_ boughner

Perch

• Active Members
  • 647 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 06:33 PM

well it is 6 inches not a foot. but yeah, go with what you mentally have chosen. i personally when want something i get it. at the end of the day, it does not matter.

he's a guy we always exaggerate and give it an extra 6" ;)

#18 Hucho Hucho

Hucho Hucho

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 494 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 07:22 PM

:)

i need that extra inch hahhaha

#19 Hucho Hucho

Hucho Hucho

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 494 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 07:25 PM

I will go with IM8

#20 CJR

CJR

#RNS

• Active Members
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 07:54 AM

I'm most likely getting 14 foot IM8 i like that extra foot on the rod and extra inch on the cork handle. It will also help on Niagara fishing adventures. (that extra foot for picking up slack line) I have long arms and i had it in my hand just fits like glove. I'm not saying that RV9 is not better rod but i always go for the comfort first. From what i heard you can go wrong with any of Raven rods.

You won't go wrong with it.  This is my third season with mine, I only really use it now for salmon.  It's a powerful stick, I doubt I'd ever sell it.