• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#41 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 11:17 AM

best starter float rod on the market = shimano clarus... lifetime warranty... 100$..... 4 piece....  durable as hell... and ittl flex like a stripper if you really want it to.  

547457_10151285520934420_1853376619_n.jp

awesome...my streamside is as flexable as a ballerina...but yeah that lifetime warranty is sweet i will look into that clarus...need to patch some holes in my pocket first ($$$)

#42 Christopher K

Christopher K

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 995 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 11:35 AM

there is mooching reel that look like cp, that are for trolling. not saying that guy used it or not. just saying.

Nope, he uses a centrepin he was very specific about that lol

#43 redneckchromer

redneckchromer

Perch

• Active Members
  • 723 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 11:43 AM

yea pause they are great rods, ive heard the SS's are crazy light, so the clarus may feel too heavy after youve fished and gotten used to such a light stick.   one downside to it being a 4 piece, heavy as hell.  

#44 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 12:27 PM

yea pause they are great rods, ive heard the SS's are crazy light, so the clarus may feel too heavy after youve fished and gotten used to such a light stick.   one downside to it being a 4 piece, heavy as hell.  

they are pretty light, and streamside tranquility is lighter still, the 11.6' weighs 155g  the 13' weighs 165g so like 5 or 6 onces

http://cgemery.com/p...rods/float-rods

#45 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 01:28 PM

they are pretty light, and streamside tranquility is lighter still, the 11.6' weighs 155g  the 13' weighs 165g so like 5 or 6 onces

http://cgemery.com/p...rods/float-rods

+1...very light. I had 2 pc. which takes space in my car. Thank God for a hatchback. I don't think a 2pc. 11'6" would fit well on a sedan. so light i was kinda skeptical about it's toughness but so far...1 - 3lb steels no problem.

#46 NADO

NADO

Unaccomplished Steelheader

• Moderators
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 01:31 PM

it can either get boring, or not produce.

pffft....never and rarely!

#47 NADO

NADO

Unaccomplished Steelheader

• Moderators
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 01:34 PM

well go to sail right now, the have a nice rapale magnum i think it was float rod in 9ft light for 4-8lb line for 60 bucks 

no good....if you want a rapala for float fishing go for the R-Type

#48 LordMykiss

LordMykiss

Perch

• Active Members
  • 851 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 01:37 PM

i think she roughly did say she does not want to start with the cheap stuff. also she has not clarified her budget as of yet.

and yes float fishing can get boring when you don't catch anything for 8 hours straight. so you got to change it up cause fish are always there.

#49 Knuguy

Knuguy

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 996 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 05:09 PM

best starter float rod on the market = shimano clarus... lifetime warranty... 100$..... 4 piece....  durable as hell... and ittl flex like a stripper if you really want it to.  

547457_10151285520934420_1853376619_n.jp

Great pic! I assumed that you were a hard core centerpin guy. Apparently not.

#50 redneckchromer

redneckchromer

Perch

• Active Members
  • 723 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 05:35 PM

Great pic! I assumed that you were a hard core centerpin guy. Apparently not.

i just started pinning this year, before that i was using a spinning reel lol got the job done but the pin is definitely alot more fun.  

#51 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 07:12 PM

+1...very light. I had 2 pc. which takes space in my car. Thank God for a hatchback. I don't think a 2pc. 11'6" would fit well on a sedan. so light i was kinda skeptical about it's toughness but so far...1 - 3lb steels no problem.

11'6 fits well in a sedan, fold down the rear seats, i had mine when i had a 03 grand prix gt, got rid of it for my truck, didn't like having to shampoo the fish smell from the carpeting, not that i minded it, just other people in my car did

#52 Rainbow

Rainbow

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 07:25 PM

The Rapala magnum didn't feel right to me. It seems like a lot of its weight is towards the center of the rod.

#53 w_ boughner

w_ boughner

Perch

• Active Members
  • 647 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 08:59 PM

Put it up front beside the passenger with the tip going back towards the rear window .. My buddy does this with his 13'

#54 ChasinTails

ChasinTails

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 10:08 PM

My accord has a centre hatch so all I need is to open it is l can leave my 12 footer unfolded

#55 Knuguy

Knuguy

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 996 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 09:05 AM

I was talking to a guy on the river yesterday who was floating with a spin reel. When I asked him about CPs he said he'd tried 1 but found it really cold on his hand in cold weather. I think he meant when he was 'palming' the line in.

#56 Christopher K

Christopher K

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 995 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 09:07 AM

I was talking to a guy on the river yesterday who was floating with a spin reel. When I asked him about CPs he said he'd tried 1 but found it really cold on his hand in cold weather. I think he meant when he was 'palming' the line in.

That's the one problem with them, you're touching the metal all day when you control the drift. That's a reason that a lot of guys prefer baitcasters.

#57 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 09:33 AM

11'6 fits well in a sedan, fold down the rear seats, i had mine when i had a 03 grand prix gt, got rid of it for my truck, didn't like having to shampoo the fish smell from the carpeting, not that i minded it, just other people in my car did

It is good if the sedan has a latch on the backseat that opens to the trunk like an accord...or in your case...grand prix which I would classify under muscle really not sedan. but my car is way smaller than that. and just changed to a hatchback 6 months ago.

as for pin being cold on winter...i can see that but i'm dead set on giving this warm fishing gloves that the wife gave me to try.

#58 Christopher K

Christopher K

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 995 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 01:51 PM

It is good if the sedan has a latch on the backseat that opens to the trunk like an accord...or in your case...grand prix which I would classify under muscle really not sedan. but my car is way smaller than that. and just changed to a hatchback 6 months ago.

as for pin being cold on winter...i can see that but i'm dead set on giving this warm fishing gloves that the wife gave me to try.

Unless they are open for your fingertips, or very thin I find it very hard to properly control the reel with gloves, similar to casting a baitcaster with gloves.

#59 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 02:22 PM

Unless they are open for your fingertips, or very thin I find it very hard to properly control the reel with gloves, similar to casting a baitcaster with gloves.

fortunately for me. they're open finger gloves. breathable, waterproof and cheap...(but knowing my wife...cheap ain't cheap)

#60 LordMykiss

LordMykiss

Perch

• Active Members
  • 851 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 03:03 PM

there is a simple solution. get a square of suede cut it and clue it to the back plate, assuming your reel is not ported on the back. also there is this workout glove that you can use. http://www.ebay.com/... Glove 25 Pairs

best is fingerless mitten hybrids that are also thumb less with magnets for the thumb cover. make sure it is very fitted and not loose. so it won't get caught onto anything.