• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Dewy

Dewy

Sunfish

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 07:11 PM

So, I braved rain and wind and went out today. Went 1 for 2, catching a mini chinny on a 10 mm pink bead. I was wondering if anyone had any good suggestions on a decent rain coat, willing to pay up to 200 or so that will keep me completely dry. The one issue I had was when drifting in torential downpours the rain would drip down my arm. I was soaked in minutes. I know I could buy rubber gloves to put over the rain coat, but there has got to be a product that would work better. Any suggestions?

#2 w_ boughner

w_ boughner

Perch

• Active Members
  • 647 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 07:44 PM

Frog tog's is a good coat

#3 Bapsie

Bapsie

Earthworm

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 07:49 PM

If you are getting rain down your cuffs a fishing specific/wading jacket would be the way to go. Pretty sure every company has some sort of cuff system to keep water out. Most of them are rubber or neoprene cuffs, some are adjustable. Simms, Patagonia, Bare, Redington all have different jackets with varying price points. Check out their websites and see what you like and sometimes eBay has a good deal on clear outs or demo gear. Good luck!

#4 staffman

staffman

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 08:35 PM

My Simms jacket has tight inner cuffs that prevent rain from running down my sleeve, so I would imagine that there are many coats with the same set up. I would check BPS or SAIL or your favourite tackle store.

#5 ChasinTails

ChasinTails

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 09:09 PM

dont know what it is but i got it from the bay, its windproof, waterproof with adjustable cuufs and collar with a stretchy lanyard around the wait section, keeps me high and dry it was less than 80, sorry for the vaugeness i got it as a gift 

#6 LordMykiss

LordMykiss

Perch

• Active Members
  • 851 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 09:11 PM

it does not have a label? or brand? or style number written on it?

#7 IR4J

IR4J

Perch

• Active Members
  • 884 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 11:37 PM

I have a Simms that I use in the winter, one of the older rivetteks. Super warm 100% waterproof, however for just like a standard rainy day I have a frogg triggs single layer that I bought at bass pro for 15$... Best 15 I've ever spent, water proof with cuffs for waist, hood and sleeve. Upsize so you can layer if you are unsure of the weather, the cuffs elastic can downsize it if you only throw on a tshirt. Couple colors and they also sell the matching pants

#8 IR4J

IR4J

Perch

• Active Members
  • 884 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 11:38 PM

actually the jacket I have on in my picture

#9 alwayscatching

alwayscatching

Smallmouth Bass

• Moderators
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 03:05 AM

I just picked up the Bass Pro Shops Pro 100 MPH Parka and Bib! Great stuff just a little pricey but I am not the weekend angler so it helps to be ahead of the game.

#10 ChasinTails

ChasinTails

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 07:34 AM

it does not have a label? or brand? or style number written on it?

nope

#11 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 09:01 AM

You can get a camo poncho for like $50...seems pretty cool. of course you can bundle up underneath on cold weather...

http://www.lebaron.c...all12/ganka.pdf

#12 Kleiner

Kleiner

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 266 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 11:48 AM

Marks Work Warehouse has always been a good bet for me for my outdoor wear as my work sometimes requires me to be out in the elements too. Anything I buy for work, doubles as fishing wear! This goes for winter wear as well. I have always found them to be reasonably priced. Here's the one I got with the matching rain pants

http://www.marks.com...work-coat-14317

#13 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 11:50 AM

Marks Work Warehouse has always been a good bet for me for my outdoor wear as my work sometimes requires me to be out in the elements too. Anything I buy for work, doubles as fishing wear! This goes for winter wear as well. I have always found them to be reasonably priced. Here's the one I got with the matching rain pants

http://www.marks.com...work-coat-14317

looks great and looks light. i use a northface parka on winters and i'm telling you it's not fun. it's like carrying a little kid on your back while fishing.

#14 Kleiner

Kleiner

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 266 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 11:51 AM

^

You can get it without that inner layer too, and just buy the outer rain coat

#15 w_ boughner

w_ boughner

Perch

• Active Members
  • 647 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 12:56 PM

Just go to the local tackle shop and see what they have consider the pros and cons of each that check ct Walmart target and old navy and compare to the fishing brands for comfort style and durability of material .. Get what works for you and fits your budget !! A bomber style will ride up but will block the wind better where as a trench style will better protect your lower extremities but won't stop the wind from blowing up your back

#16 David Parker

David Parker

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 06:54 AM

IMO, if you want to stay warm and dry in really nasty weather, the only way to go is with top quality gear made with Goretex. Yes it is quite expensive, but it's the only gear I will ever buy again.

I purchased my current rain gear, parka + pants w/ suspenders, from Cabelas about 12+ years ago and it's still as good as new, allows me to fish in any weather, keeps me warm and dry to fish right thru till freeze up and I fish all day when all the others have gotten cold, wet, and gone home.

It's likely I'll never have to buy another set of gear. There are lots of good brands out there, but if you want to fish all day and really enjoy it, you have to bite the bullet and buy the best gear or you've wasted your money. Be prepared to spend big $ though.

Just think about it............how many sets of rain gear have you bought to date and how much money have you spent doing so?

This also holds true for footwear and hand coverings.......... :???:

#17 Lure

Lure

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 292 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 09:50 PM

you can do this too, get a good sweater inside with good insulations and pants at mark's work warehouse, CT, lebaron, bps, Winners (name Brands for cheap price), Old Navy and Dollar store rain coat and pants outside.  

#18 Dewy

Dewy

Sunfish

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 08:31 PM

thanks for the info guys, really appreciate it. David, you make a decent point. Do you wear your rain gear all year round? I see so many people wearing expensive coats, and I wonder if they would be worth the investment. I think Ill wait till spring to purchase, cause with winter around the corner all I need is a half dozen coats lol.

#19 Slickrick

Slickrick

Sunfish

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 07:09 AM

I bought a Columbia jacket on sale for 40$.  figured it would just be water resistant, and would soak through eventually, but I got caught in a downpour and it kept me bone dry.

#20 BowSlayer

BowSlayer

Perch

• Active Members
  • 895 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 05:40 PM

columbia is the best IMHO, the coats are pricy but get them on sale and you're in heaven! i got one as a present, but mine was a wintercoat 2 years ago, i had 2 ice fishing seasons with it, didn't get a single rip, looks like new, but most importantly 2 times i got caught in icy rain snow, slush, i was still dry after a rain of storms!