Photo

Another tip, .... Pro's do not read this!

Fly fishing

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Lure

Lure

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 292 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 06:46 AM

FLY FISHING TIPS

Three Big-Streamer Tactics For Giant Fall Browns

Creep and Sweep (above)
Giant streamers shine for big browns holding tight to the bank. Situate yourself 25 to 35 feet off the far side, and cast directly across-stream tight to the edge. As soon as the fly lands, make a couple of big upstream mends. Once the fly has had time to sink, make three or four hard, fast strips. This gets the fly working upstream tight to the bank for a few beats before it swings out into the main flow—and it's often right at this turn that a big trout smokes the bug. If not, take 10 steps downstream and repeat the process until you've worked the whole bank.

Splash and Dash
In pocket water, you're apt to be dropping the fly behind a boulder only 10 feet away, and the zone may be so short you don't have time to strip. So just pull 15 feet or so of line off the reel and make short roll casts to the sweet spots. As soon as your fly smacks down, give it a few fast twitches with your rod arm. You're trying to mimic prey that is suddenly in the wrong place at the wrong time and trying to get out fast. This doesn't allow the trout much time to inspect your streamer, and the big profile makes for an easier target. A big brown may attack the second it hears the fly slap the water.

Low and Slow
Several new-age patterns, like Rich Strolis's Head Banger, are designed to mimic sculpins and need to be fished right on the bottom. "I cast mine directly upstream with a floating line," says Strolis, noting that a sink tip adds too much weight. "Once it gets to the bottom, I'll strip slowly, just enough to keep contact with the fly as it moves downstream." Working a streamer downcurrent on the bottom takes some getting used to, but Strolis says the trick lies in setting the hook on any stop or tick during the retrieve. Even big trout will just suck it up off the bottom, which can feel very subtle.

This is for fisherman who wants to learn fly fishing out there.

Another article out there.

#2 IR4J

IR4J

Perch

• Active Members
  • 884 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 01:36 PM

When fishing big articulated intruders for browns (works for steelhead to) I will cast to 2oclock (12 being the line between you and the opposing bank) with a big upstream mend to allow sink time once on the swing I point my body downstream with my rod parrell to the banks and "pump the rod" which allows a swing/swimming baitfish presentation. Hits generally come on the first pump or the last pump before the dangle.

#3 Lure

Lure

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 292 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 07:45 PM

When fishing big articulated intruders for browns (works for steelhead to) I will cast to 2oclock (12 being the line between you and the opposing bank) with a big upstream mend to allow sink time once on the swing I point my body downstream with my rod parrell to the banks and "pump the rod" which allows a swing/swimming baitfish presentation. Hits generally come on the first pump or the last pump before the dangle.

Thnx for the tip. You're a pro and you still read this? :razz:

#4 IR4J

IR4J

Perch

• Active Members
  • 884 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 12:42 AM

Not a pro. No one will ever be a perfect fly fisherman, it's all about sharing our knowledge and learning new things. I like helping people out, so I thought if weigh in! (Just over 10years fly fishing)

#5 Lure

Lure

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 292 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 12:55 AM

Not a pro. No one will ever be a perfect fly fisherman, it's all about sharing our knowledge and learning new things. I like helping people out, so I thought if weigh in! (Just over 10years fly fishing)

Good to know that, I'd been fishing for many years and there are many things I'd been doing out there that I think will work with fly fishing but I have to learn 1st fly fishing. I will choose self taught, I'm not worry about making mistakes, It inspires me more. Pinning is good as well, but that will be next. Thx again!

#6 gnat

gnat

Sunfish

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 10:36 AM

Wow Lure you're on fire with the tips! ;-)

#7 Lure

Lure

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 292 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 07:50 PM

Wow Lure you're on fire with the tips! ;-)

I shouldn't post tips anymore, there are Fly Fishing instructors who make a decent living on Fly fishing. 

#8 gnat

gnat

Sunfish

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 08:01 PM

Oh no! Did you get hate mail?

#9 Christopher K

Christopher K

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 995 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 09:06 PM

Thnx for the tip. You're a pro and you still read this? :razz:

I'm no pro, but I believe that we are always learning, saying that a pro definitely wouldn't know this stuff is just silly. 

#10 Lure

Lure

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 292 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 06:45 AM

This Posts will help fly fishing Noobs like me on fly fishing, experienced fly fishermen knew this already but not mean to stop them from reading, I just don't want experienced fishermen waste their time reading what they already know, you can add If you feel like. I shouldn't post fly fishing tips anymore from an articles, there are Fly Fishing instructors who make a decent living on Fly fishing.