• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 skoaler27

skoaler27

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 09:59 PM

New to this forum and new to ice fishing! As the season is coming up I have started to keep an eye out for a new pop up ice hut. Currently, there is a a Eskimo FatFish 767 Pop-Up Ice Shelter for sale at my local Canadian Tire for $279 (reg. $399). In addition there is a Sub Zero 4-Man Shelter for sale too for $249 (reg. 299). At this point I am leaning towards the Eskimo. Does any body have any suggestions? If so that would be great! I am looking for something that will have good room for two guys but will be quality too. 

Thanks, Dave

#2 CanadianAngler87

CanadianAngler87

Perch

• Active Members
  • 915 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 10:50 PM

Both a good deal, The Eskimo is a 3 man Ice hut and the Subzero is a 4 man. So the subzero would have a bit more fishing area, but also harder to keep warm. I have the 2 man subzero pop up and love it. Its simple to put up and down with some practice lol. Eskimo is known for quality products so I guess its just preference. The Eskimo was in their flyer a couple weeks ago and it came with a sled and chair, but I dont recall the price. Is this the same deal?? If it is I believe it come with a pelican cargo sled witch runs almost 40$ so that'd be a pretty sweet deal for 279

#3 redneckchromer

redneckchromer

Perch

• Active Members
  • 723 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 10:58 PM

id go with the eskimo.  smaller huts are easier to keep warm!!  

#4 BowSlayer

BowSlayer

Perch

• Active Members
  • 895 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 11:08 PM

id look at kijiji, if you really want new, id go with the subzero if you want it to be roomy, i find even if you don't put the heater on, but close the doors, you'll be fairly warm, remember its usually not the temp. keeping you cold, its the wind, i got mine on kijiji, 4 man ice cube for 60 bucks new condition regular for 400, it saids 4 person but if you start putting in more the 2 people its very uncomfortable, so take off 2 people at least from the description and thats how much will fit in COMFORTABLY! 

#5 CanadianAngler87

CanadianAngler87

Perch

• Active Members
  • 915 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 11:12 PM

Me too id even consider the 2 man I have. The website says its 249 but if the 4 mans on sale the 2 man usually is too for 199. Atleast it was when I bought it. The 2 man fits 2 comfortably unless your fishing deep water with a current lol..

#6 AKnook

AKnook

Perch

• Active Members
  • 578 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 12:08 AM

I have the Eskimo quick fish six. It's a six man hut. I wouldn't use anything smaller. I'm 6'1 and can stand Comfortably with a lot of room for gear. They are great huts and I have no complaints. I have had mine for three seasons now And I'm out on the ice a lot with our nine month winters here in AK.

#7 AKnook

AKnook

Perch

• Active Members
  • 578 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 12:09 AM

I have a tank top heater and it warms up the six man hit on medium to the point where the jackets, hats and gloves come off and I am very comfortable.

#8 CanadianAngler87

CanadianAngler87

Perch

• Active Members
  • 915 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 08:33 AM

Id assume you have a snowmoble or ATV? Sounds heavy to tow around by hand.

#9 PDG

PDG

Sunfish

• Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 09:26 AM

New to this forum and new to ice fishing! As the season is coming up I have started to keep an eye out for a new pop up ice hut. Currently, there is a a Eskimo FatFish 767 Pop-Up Ice Shelter for sale at my local Canadian Tire for $279 (reg. $399). In addition there is a Sub Zero 4-Man Shelter for sale too for $249 (reg. 299). At this point I am leaning towards the Eskimo. Does any body have any suggestions? If so that would be great! I am looking for something that will have good room for two guys but will be quality too. 

Thanks, Dave

I haven't seen the sub zero but the eskimo hut is a great hut and a great deal

#10 RedCat

RedCat

Sunfish

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 02:46 PM

I have a 6 person pop up. Its a bit big for one guy but great for 2. I bought it because I take my kids out, I can fit 2 adults and 2 kids in. IMHO I would divide the number advertised by 2.  

A single burner sunflower heater is good for the smaller huts, the double is required for the 6 man when temps dip below -30 or so. This is the newest heater on the market. Supposed to be very efficient and fast. This one has no heat control, there is a more expensive model that has it tho. http://www.northernt... ... _200485166. Apparently because of the air flow there are less cold spots in shacks

#11 DitchWizard

DitchWizard

Perch

• Active Members
  • 693 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 02:59 PM

I have a 6 person pop up. Its a bit big for one guy but great for 2. I bought it because I take my kids out, I can fit 2 adults and 2 kids in. IMHO I would divide the number advertised by 2.  

A single burner sunflower heater is good for the smaller huts, the double is required for the 6 man when temps dip below -30 or so. This is the newest heater on the market. Supposed to be very efficient and fast. This one has no heat control, there is a more expensive model that has it tho. http://www.northernt... ... _200485166. Apparently because of the air flow there are less cold spots in shacks

maybe something like that would be more useful in Northern Ontario, 35k BTU is a lot of heat and I the forced air heaters burn lots of O2 in my experience with them on job sites. It sure would keep a hut warm tho.

I think the big buddy 18k BTU model would be good with temps a bit warmer than -30.

#12 AKnook

AKnook

Perch

• Active Members
  • 578 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 03:05 PM

I never liked the buddy heaters IMO.  you tap them with a foot or gear and they shut off.  I also find that they do not warm up my hut very well.  I use the tank top heater on a propane tank and have no issues with cold in a six man hut.  Just my two cents. 

#13 skoaler27

skoaler27

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 04:10 PM

Thanks for the replies everyone! Got some great advice, appreciate it!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ice fishingice huts, eskimo, sub zero, ice, winter, hut, gear, review, icehut