28 replies to this topic

#1 Urban Fishing Channel

Urban Fishing Channel

Sunfish

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 04:30 PM

Hello,

I'm really curious on knowing if there is anywhere to fly fish during the winter months in and around Toronto. I'm looking to purchase a new Fly rod but wanted to know if i could really use it during winter.

Thank You.

#2 w_ boughner

w_ boughner

Perch

• Active Members
  • 647 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 04:35 PM

Depends on your target species there's 3 main rivers and several smaller rivers around the gta that have stealhead and are fish able year round up so far !! Check the regs

#3 Urban Fishing Channel

Urban Fishing Channel

Sunfish

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 05:16 PM

Depends on your target species there's 3 main rivers and several smaller rivers around the gta that have stealhead and are fish able year round up so far !! Check the regs

Any trout ? Most of the river near me freeze over or have large chunks or ice in them, like The Humber river by the old mill

#4 w_ boughner

w_ boughner

Perch

• Active Members
  • 647 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 05:30 PM

Any trout ? Most of the river near me freeze over or have large chunks or ice in them, like The Humber river by the old mill

there should be sections that will stay open with turbulent water

#5 Urban Fishing Channel

Urban Fishing Channel

Sunfish

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 05:46 PM

there should be sections that will stay open with turbulent water

the water is usually dirty because its runoff. Would it still be possible to still land fish ?

#6 ChasinTails

ChasinTails

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 05:51 PM

the water is usually dirty because its runoff. Would it still be possible to still land fish ?

you can land them fine, getting them to bite would be the difficulty, use bigger brighter flies that should get their attention 

#7 Urban Fishing Channel

Urban Fishing Channel

Sunfish

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 06:19 PM

you can land them fine, getting them to bite would be the difficulty, use bigger brighter flies that should get their attention 

i never knew they can locate a fly in zero visibility of water.  

#8 w_ boughner

w_ boughner

Perch

• Active Members
  • 647 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 07:08 PM

It will be dirty when it warms and has a big thaw but if it stays cold it should decent visibility and even then it should clear pretty quick asking as long as it's just melt runoff

#9 fishing with a fly

fishing with a fly

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 08:44 PM

well first off what wt fly rod are you thinking about getting because thats gonna affect what you can fish for now assuming you want to get something heavier like a 7 or 8 wt to target steelhead and other migratory fish then you have lots of water open all year long to chose from just check the regs and make sure to have a many different types of flies from eggs patterens to nymphs to streamers in all color patterns and sizes  but you can have alot of luck in dirty water  check this video out i was there so i can say it was basicly the worst conditions you can fish but they hit hard

#10 guest

Smallmouth Bass

• Closed Accounts
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 10:38 PM

fat nancys,

#11 Urban Fishing Channel

Urban Fishing Channel

Sunfish

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 05:51 PM

well first off what wt fly rod are you thinking about getting because thats gonna affect what you can fish for now assuming you want to get something heavier like a 7 or 8 wt to target steelhead and other migratory fish then you have lots of water open all year long to chose from just check the regs and make sure to have a many different types of flies from eggs patterens to nymphs to streamers in all color patterns and sizes  but you can have alot of luck in dirty water  check this video out i was there so i can say it was basicly the worst conditions you can fish but they hit hard

Im looking for something cheap but still decent quality. I wanted to get a rod and reel combo. Any suggestions?

#12 fishing with a fly

fishing with a fly

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 06:12 PM

Check out any echo or redingtion rod will be a good choice Match that with a Ross or Lamson large arbor reel there's a couple well priced ones in both lines then I'd load it with a line like the rio outbound witch is a line weight heavier so it loads better that should rub you around 300 for everything and is a great setup that will last you for a while

#13 Urban Fishing Channel

Urban Fishing Channel

Sunfish

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 06:12 PM

im going for Steelhead Trout and Salmon. I want a rod I can use for most species in The Humber, an all purpose rod. 

#14 fishing with a fly

fishing with a fly

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 08:41 PM

Like I said an 8 wt would probably be best then

#15 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 12:07 AM

go with the 8 wt, you wont regret it, my 8wt is great for larger steel that fight like a bulldog, and also large salmon, can also turn around and use it for tossing large bass poppers, or target pike as well

#16 DitchWizard

DitchWizard

Perch

• Active Members
  • 693 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 01:01 AM

That water looks almost unfishable, like an inch of visibility in the grass.

#17 ChasinTails

ChasinTails

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 08:19 AM

how cheap do you mean by cheap ?

#18 MadocFlyGuy

MadocFlyGuy

Perch

• Moderators
  • 753 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 09:16 AM

That water looks almost unfishable, like an inch of visibility in the grass.

I actually find that dirty water = better fishing for me. If you know how the fish behave, you'll know where to find 'em :P

Nice to see my video posted, but please disregard any references of the website in it. The site is no longer functional, which is still a mystery to me. I was tempted to remove the video as well, because it kind of makes me look like an idiot referring to a website that no longer exists, however I felt I put a lot of effort into it, and it would be a shame to waste that.....

Cheap rod and reel combo? My first setup (that was not purchased at Canadian Tire) was a TFO Signature Series II paired with the Prism II reel they make. Very reasonable price, the rod has a lifetime warranty, and I have been very happy with its performance thus far. 

Welcome to the world of fly fishing my friend, I hope you enjoy!

#19 Urban Fishing Channel

Urban Fishing Channel

Sunfish

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 09:03 PM

go with the 8 wt, you wont regret it, my 8wt is great for larger steel that fight like a bulldog, and also large salmon, can also turn around and use it for tossing large bass poppers, or target pike as well

so an #8 rod. how about line ? what weight for that.

#20 Christopher K

Christopher K

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 995 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 09:40 PM

If you're going with a #8 rod you'll be going with a #8 line ;)

Check out the TFO NXT combos, that was my first and I still love the thing :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: fly, fishing, toronto, winter