Photo

Are SIMMS really all they are talked up to be?

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 GuitarBuildingAngler

GuitarBuildingAngler

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 399 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 09:57 PM

I bought a pair of Simms Headwaters about 6 months ago. I am fortunate enough that I have good still water trout fishing near me. This has caused me to only put a handful of days on my waders. So you think they would be in perfect condition? Well, they are not.

I have had two parts of the tape edge start to lift off the neoprene on the stocking feet. I take great care of the waders and properly dry them all the time. What's the deal? They see little use and tape is already coming off at the edges. Whats up with that? I would not call that "Simms quality".

#2 fishing with a fly

fishing with a fly

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 10:26 PM

call simms and send them back i have never had a problem with ether pairs of mine and my guide pants are 4 years old and have seen hundreds of days on the water

#3 w_ boughner

w_ boughner

Perch

• Active Members
  • 647 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 10:30 PM

If be getting a new bait through warranty

#4 PDG

PDG

Sunfish

• Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 10:45 PM

you just got a bad pair there are lemons in every product just let simms know and i'm sure they'll replace them then you'll love em

#5 troutddicted

troutddicted

Bouts with trouts

• Moderators
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 11:04 PM

What a drag man :(  Rarely do you ever hear about somethin' like this happening...

#6 GuitarBuildingAngler

GuitarBuildingAngler

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 399 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 11:25 PM

Super bummed out myself. The tape edge lifting will only lead to wader failure. I am trying to hold out sending them back until the season is completely closed.

Think they would pay for my shipping to them? Ha! That will probably cost me $45.

#7 fishing with a fly

fishing with a fly

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 11:34 PM

i think its free from looking at this http://www.simmsfish...rt/repairs.html

#8 guest

Smallmouth Bass

• Closed Accounts
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 11:36 PM

now i am nervous...

#9 buck

buck

Perch

• Active Members
  • 867 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 10:55 AM

now i am nervous...

don't be nervous...simms has a great product, ya the odd set of waders might be defective but they're far a few between

#10 guest

Smallmouth Bass

• Closed Accounts
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 11:01 AM

i feel like my tape on my neoprene feet is wearing a bit--not content with that at all.

#11 fishing with a fly

fishing with a fly

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 11:09 AM

wearing or lifting tape wears doesnt mean its leak

#12 Christopher K

Christopher K

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 995 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 11:17 AM

My tape is very bad, I probably use them more often than most but still. I did send mine in for a leak on the seams (they fixed it for free) but they didn't fix the tape for some reason.

#13 Bow Man

Bow Man

Smallmouth Bass

• Banned
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 11:32 AM

This sucks, I just bought a pair of the head waters last weekend, have not tried them yet. But now I am second guessing my purchase.

#14 Christopher K

Christopher K

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 995 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 11:47 AM

This sucks, I just bought a pair of the head waters last weekend, have not tried them yet. But now I am second guessing my purchase.

Don't be, they're still great waders with a great warranty, don't abuse them too much and you shouldn't have any problems.

#15 guest

Smallmouth Bass

• Closed Accounts
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 12:57 PM

please..nobody misunderstand what i am saying here...but the cheaper simms are probably not made like the ones that cost more that a small home in missouri,..i am sure they make them "cheaper" same quality control standards but lower grade materials.. again this is only an observation i mean nothing by it..just probablya fact--

#16 fishing with a fly

fishing with a fly

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 01:37 PM

Nobody should worry for one if there is a problem with them simms will take care of it and two I have a pair of Simms waders with probably close to 700 days on the water and there's been no problem with them no leaks nothing I've talked to guides who've used there's for longer then me and had no problems GBA asked a question and it sounds like he got a defective pair it happens with everything made commercially in large numbers but I know it doesn't happen often the Simms warranty dept will look after any problems that arise they are great waders and built to last

#17 AKnook

AKnook

Perch

• Active Members
  • 578 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 08:31 PM

I wouldn't get any other brand waders other than Simms.  I have had my G3 guide stocking foot for over 4 seasons and beat the hell out of them.  I fish all year and in many different situations.  They have yet to fail me. Plus, they have a killer warranty.  Like others have said you probably got a lemon.  The G3's and up do have heavier duty material however.  They stick by their brand, just send them back.

#18 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 09:07 PM

Nobody should worry for one if there is a problem with them simms will take care of it and two I have a pair of Simms waders with probably close to 700 days on the water and there's been no problem with them no leaks nothing I've talked to guides who've used there's for longer then me and had no problems GBA asked a question and it sounds like he got a defective pair it happens with everything made commercially in large numbers but I know it doesn't happen often the Simms warranty dept will look after any problems that arise they are great waders and built to last

im surprised you don't own shares in simms......since you have almost everything out of the catalogue!  simms warranty is by far the best

#19 GuitarBuildingAngler

GuitarBuildingAngler

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 399 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 10:32 PM

I will let you guys know what SIMMS says...

I think it's sh#$*# to say "I have never had a problem with my G3's and up", I am not trying to start a fight here but I don't have the G3's. I couldn't put out that much cash for them, so I got the headwaters. So far I have been disappointed. Ya, maybe it's a lemon but you wouldn't expect something that doesn't have more then 42 hours in them to fail. Especially something wearing such an "incredible" product name.

I am going to call Simms and get them to repair them. If I have to pay shipping there (which will be like $45), I will be pissed. I wouldn't be pissed if I had the waders forever and put them through hell but that's not the case. These looks new and perfect. Ask Madoc, you could re-sell these things as new. I take good care of my possessions. 

All I have to say is, we will see. 

PS. Tape seams coming undone WILL become an issue and a leak. In my mind, its shotty craftsmanship.

#20 LordMykiss

LordMykiss

Perch

• Active Members
  • 851 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 11:03 PM

where did you buy your waders? was it a simms official dealer? the store that is?