• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 skoaler27

skoaler27

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 06:52 PM

First couple flies I have tied. Any feedback would be great! Plan to run them under my float rod. 

Attached Images

• flyyyy.jpg
  • wooly.jpg

#2 Jacklake

Jacklake

Sunfish

• Members
  • 176 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 07:53 PM

Very good, very nice!

The black one looks like you trimmed the hackle. On a WB that is OK in my books.

One small suggestion if you think it applies (pictures can be deceiving). It seems you tied the hackle in by the tip, to wrap forward.

I suggest snipping the barbs from the tip for the section that is going to be tied in. It seems the butt of both your flies has some hackle bunched together and compressing the chenille at the bend. Snipping the barbs before tying in so that none are trapped into a sort of 'rope' means the hackle will start splaying out immediately with the first wrap.

Never-the-less, definitely good for first efforts and they will catch fish.

#3 Christopher K

Christopher K

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 995 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 10:47 PM

I'd say don't trim the hackle, it's a bad habit to get into. But your jig looks good, either way they will both catch fish!

#4 skoaler27

skoaler27

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 01:55 PM

Thanks guys! After I trimmed my hackle I instantly regretted it lol! I found it looked nicer prior to cutting it!

#5 Christopher K

Christopher K

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 995 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 03:02 PM

Ya the natural taper always looks better, try to gauge your hackle to 1.5 times the hook gape before you tie in next time.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: feedbackfly tying, float fishing, fly, wooly bugger