• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 king_Fisher

king_Fisher

Sunfish

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 07:29 PM

Hey guys I am looking at getting a center pin rod for float fishing steelhead,brown and Lakers. My question is what weight rod would be recommended and what length of rod. I have seen people use 13 ft up 15 ft. Any info would be really appreciated thanks.

#2 LordMykiss

LordMykiss

Perch

• Active Members
  • 851 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 07:37 PM

lakers? on float rod?

what you mean by weight? they are not like fly rods, even though people do spey/fly rod conversions. they have their own category called float rod/centerpin rod depending on which site you are looking at. most and foremost importance, BUDGET?! after you tell us I can try to guide you as best to my knowledge.

categories go, under 100, not sure, probably shimano or fenwhick. i would not even buy, most have no backbone.

100-150, streamside any

150-200. raven im8 rings or steam side tranquility if you want something light.

200-350, raven im8 seat 13 or 14', raven RV9 13.5

400-600, most loomis. GLX mainly

custom 600+ CTS, Rainshadow are the most popular ones.

#3 ChasinTails

ChasinTails

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 08:03 PM

best bet would be to go in store and check them out in person ! it may seem fine online and if you order it and you take it out fishing and find its tip heavy or uncomfortable after a few casts theres not much you can do, plus it would be better off the get some advice from the guys that work there it can help you a lot and its the best way to find what works for you! it like trying to buy a pair of shoes online, you won't know how good they fit unless you try them on . I would say 13ft would be best and slow rod with a light action is ideal 

#4 w_ boughner

w_ boughner

Perch

• Active Members
  • 647 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 08:06 PM

For your first pin rod I would suggest a streamside 13' ... They will easily handle any 20lb laker and light on the pocket book !! And once you get some experience you can look at the lighter and more expensive rods

#5 king_Fisher

king_Fisher

Sunfish

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 08:42 PM

lakers? on float rod?

what you mean by weight? they are not like fly rods, even though people do spey/fly rod conversions. they have their own category called float rod/centerpin rod depending on which site you are looking at. most and foremost importance, BUDGET?! after you tell us I can try to guide you as best to my knowledge.

categories go, under 100, not sure, probably shimano or fenwhick. i would not even buy, most have no backbone.

100-150, streamside any

150-200. raven im8 rings or steam side tranquility if you want something light.

200-350, raven im8 seat 13 or 14', raven RV9 13.5

400-600, most loomis. GLX mainly

custom 600+ CTS, Rainshadow are the most popular ones.

Im trying to keep it bellow 200 it is a first rod. ill have a look at streamside and raven. thank you 

For your first pin rod I would suggest a streamside 13' ... They will easily handle any 20lb laker and light on the pocket book !! And once you get some experience you can look at the lighter and more expensive rods

ok i will most definitely have a look at the streamside rod. thank you  

best bet would be to go in store and check them out in person ! it may seem fine online and if you order it and you take it out fishing and find its tip heavy or uncomfortable after a few casts theres not much you can do, plus it would be better off the get some advice from the guys that work there it can help you a lot and its the best way to find what works for you! it like trying to buy a pair of shoes online, you won't know how good they fit unless you try them on . I would say 13ft would be best and slow rod with a light action is ideal 

good point ill try and head down to the local shop and get some advice. thank you 

#6 ChasinTails

ChasinTails

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 08:44 PM

No problem Neto, tightlines

#7 LordMykiss

LordMykiss

Perch

• Active Members
  • 851 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 08:52 PM

good point ill try and head down to the local shop and get some advice. thank you 

make sure you take your reel, if you have a float reel, make sure it has backing and line on it. all rods feel perfectly light and balanced if you wiggle it around. but once you put the reel on rings where you find most comfortable, or put reel in a seat, you will truly get the feel of its balance and how long you can hold it.

on another board someone is selling Raven IM8 13' reel seat for 200, i have that rod and let me tell you, it is amazing rod. i would buy that over tranquility any day, but the steamside is much lighter than raven. also after being stuck with ring on my RV9, i would STRONGLY advise you to buy a rod with reel seat, only down side is, if you prefer a particular positioning of your reel, then you will not be comfortable.

if you go with streamside, 11.5 is more suited for east, and 13 for mid to larger rivers, north and west.

#8 ChasinTails

ChasinTails

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 12:19 AM

good points klik