Posted 04 January 2014 - 07:37 PM

Just as sensitive as a mouse trap the lightest bite BAM

#4 ChasinTails

ChasinTails

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 07:54 PM

dude that looks awesome!!! im guessing the rod snapping back into place sets the hook right?

#5 FishChaser67

FishChaser67

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 255 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 08:04 PM

Yes Self hook setting is great ,,,works so good fish is there every time

#6 Knuguy

Knuguy

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 996 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 09:05 PM

Nice design. What does the butt of the rod fit into? Did you make that piece yourself?

It so happens that I just finished mine today. Here's a pic. I intend to put a bear bell near the rod tip so that I can hear  when it trips.

Attached Images

• slammer4.jpg

#7 ChasinTails

ChasinTails

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 09:20 PM

i kinda see how to make one, if any of you guys make another one would you care to post step by step pics?

#8 Knuguy

Knuguy

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 996 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 09:56 PM

Here's a pic of mine w/o the 'extension bar' I added the bar because I didn't like the way the rod was bent and to be able to vary the curvature on the rod. If you want to see how these type of gizmos work(esp the trigger), go on Youtube and search 'slammer tip-up'. There are many diff versions on there.

Attached Images

• slammerR.jpg

#9 RUSTY420

RUSTY420

Perch

• Active Members
  • 670 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 10:41 PM

Those are illegal under mar regs spring loaded setting device not allowed within 120 of water I'll find it and post it

#10 LordMykiss

LordMykiss

Perch

• Active Members
  • 851 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 10:44 PM

Those are illegal under mar regs spring loaded setting device not allowed within 120 of water I'll find it and post it

Possess a spring gaff, snagger or spear gun within 30 m (98 ft.) of any waters. A spring gaff includes any device which uses a mechanical spring, other than the fishing rod under tension, to set the hook for an angler. No person shall take fish with a gaff, snare, snagger or spear gun. A gaff, other than a spring gaff, may be used to assist in landing fish caught by lawful means.

#11 RUSTY420

RUSTY420

Perch

• Active Members
  • 670 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 10:46 PM

https://www.dropbox....clol/Ol35aYrOtt

#12 troutddicted

troutddicted

Bouts with trouts

• Moderators
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 10:49 PM

Not much different than my downriggers...

#13 RUSTY420

RUSTY420

Perch

• Active Members
  • 670 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 10:49 PM

Now I now the wording can be interpreted differently but I did have a discussion with 3 mnr officers last year after i called them to a a lake. They all said illegal they consider the spring tension of the rod to be spring loaded. We debated a bit with them be they weren't budging. Good thing we weren't using em just asking questions

#14 buck

buck

Perch

• Active Members
  • 867 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 10:56 PM

Now I now the wording can be interpreted differently but I did have a discussion with 3 mnr officers last year after i called them to a a lake. They all said illegal they consider the spring tension of the rod to be spring loaded. We debated a bit with them be they weren't budging. Good thing we weren't using em just asking questions

i know what you mean rusty but the word is pretty clear here  "Possess a spring gaff, snagger or spear gun within 30 m (98 ft.) of any waters. A spring gaff includes any device which uses a mechanical spring, other than the fishing rod under tension, to set the hook for an angler. No person shall take fish with a gaff, snare, snagger or spear gun. A gaff, other than a spring gaff, may be used to assist in landing fish caught by lawful means.

#15 Knuguy

Knuguy

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 996 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 11:14 PM

I am aware of that wording and intend to carry it with me to 'educate' any CO who might give me a hassle.

#16 RUSTY420

RUSTY420

Perch

• Active Members
  • 670 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 11:20 PM

i know what you mean rusty but the word is pretty clear here  "Possess a spring gaff, snagger or spear gun within 30 m (98 ft.) of any waters. A spring gaff includes any device which uses a mechanical spring, other than the fishing rod under tension, to set the hook for an angler. No person shall take fish with a gaff, snare, snagger or spear gun. A gaff, other than a spring gaff, may be used to assist in landing fish caught by lawful means.

I agree but there 6 MNR officers for our region or something like that. I know for a fact 3 of em will ticket you. Words from there mouth.

#17 LordMykiss

LordMykiss

Perch

• Active Members
  • 851 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 11:41 PM

in some towns, they attach cameras to cops, and the public complaint went down about 88%, both cause the cops can't makes up things and have to follow the law and people can't make up stories as it is on film. so take your camera and if the officer comes around, make it clear that you are filming it, show him the line in the regulations and ask him why are you being charged. i am sure you will be fine.

#18 FishChaser67

FishChaser67

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 255 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 09:39 AM

Knuguy,, yes just used 2 pieces of coat hanger .,,,one to hold the rod and the other as a stopper from kick back,,,,

#19 FishChaser67

FishChaser67

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 255 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 09:54 AM

rod under tension is legal used them for years my old one was getting beatup so made a new one,, love this rig great when having lunch lol

had  mnr tell me it was a nice set up it went off when he was standing there he liked it ,,,

#20 Knuguy

Knuguy

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 996 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 11:10 AM

Knuguy,, yes just used 2 pieces of coat hanger .,,,one to hold the rod and the other as a stopper from kick back,,,,

Your trigger looks a bit more complicated, or sophisticated, than mine. Is this something you have evolved thru experience?  Do you have a detailed pic?