Photo

What do you prefer to fish...Salmon or Steelhead?

• Please log in to reply
114 replies to this topic

#1 Diana Danger

Diana Danger

Steel Bunny

• Active Members
  • 893 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 01:43 PM

I met some "gentleman" on the river a couple weeks ago and we started talking about salmon and steelhead fishing.  Talking turned into a heated debate, actually. 

He said its all about salmon and the fight.  I say it's all about steelhead and the hunt. 

What do you guys think?  ON THE RIVER, which do you prefer to fish for?

#2 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 02:04 PM

I'm with you FG. I don't usually fish salmon in the rivers...it's all steelhead. The reason i'm in the rivers on the salmon runs is because of the brown trout that mixes with the salmon.

#3 Bow Man

Bow Man

Smallmouth Bass

• Banned
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 02:04 PM

Its about both, or i guess it is what ever turns your crank. Personally for me its all about just getting out and enjoying yourself. I am just happy to be out fishing. Don't see any reason to argue about specific species. But that's just me, I appreciate all kinds and types of fishing. Just my 2 cents. 

#4 Diana Danger

Diana Danger

Steel Bunny

• Active Members
  • 893 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 02:06 PM

Its about both, or i guess it is what ever turns your crank. Personally for me its all about just getting out and enjoying yourself. I am just happy to be out fishing. Don't see any reason to argue about specific species. But that's just me, I appreciate all kinds and types of fishing. Just my 2 cents. 

it got heated because he was telling me that steelhead are "wimpy" and the reason so many anglers are die hard steelheaders is because they are 'easier to catch'.

#5 Bow Man

Bow Man

Smallmouth Bass

• Banned
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 02:08 PM

it got heated because he was telling me that steelhead are "wimpy" and the reason so many anglers are die hard steelheaders is because they are 'easier to catch'.

well in that case I would just say thanks for your input and be on my way and enjoy my day on the water, no reason to let some one like that get to you.

#6 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 02:18 PM

Honestly though, I find it easier to fish steelhead than salmon. But saying salmon fights better is inaccurate. they are strong and big and it feels like a great fight if you have steelhead gear. but pound for pound I think steelhead fights better.

#7 LordMykiss

LordMykiss

Perch

• Active Members
  • 851 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 02:23 PM

It is about the fishing. Who cares what you catch or what size. Those types of obsessions lead to frustration vs enjoyment.

If you catch a salmon as fresh as steelhead, the fight is a lot harder, at smaller sizes, they can fight on par with steelhead in acrobatics. Now if you fight dark salmon vs late Nov winter steelhead that are sluggish. I take salmon since they are bigger and give you harder fight. Also salmon are harder to catch. Only reason steelhead seem so hard to catch is over fishing and pressure. other wise they are as aggressive as any other fish.

#8 Diana Danger

Diana Danger

Steel Bunny

• Active Members
  • 893 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 02:43 PM

It is about the fishing. Who cares what you catch or what size. Those types of obsessions lead to frustration vs enjoyment.

If you catch a salmon as fresh as steelhead, the fight is a lot harder, at smaller sizes, they can fight on par with steelhead in acrobatics. Now if you fight dark salmon vs late Nov winter steelhead that are sluggish. I take salmon since they are bigger and give you harder fight. Also salmon are harder to catch. Only reason steelhead seem so hard to catch is over fishing and pressure. other wise they are as aggressive as any other fish.

Maybe its just me but I have some strange love for steelhead.  Steelheading is about so much more than catching a stupid fish. 

I dont think steelhead are hard to catch because of pressure.....there are far less anglers out there in the colder months as oppose to fishing for salmon when the weather is nice and every living loogan is out.

#9 Diana Danger

Diana Danger

Steel Bunny

• Active Members
  • 893 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 02:43 PM

well in that case I would just say thanks for your input and be on my way and enjoy my day on the water, no reason to let some one like that get to you.

lol, but I like to debate....

#10 Knuguy

Knuguy

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 996 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 03:00 PM

lol, but I like to debate....

Yeah, OK. But I like to fish even better. I prefer to fish for whatever is biting! (Maybe an exception for snot rockets) I assume you do too----otherwise your handle would be 'debatergirl'. And, no, I don't want to argue about that. :lol:

How many casts did you miss while you were arguing? ;-)

#11 Diana Danger

Diana Danger

Steel Bunny

• Active Members
  • 893 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 03:02 PM

Yeah, OK. But I like to fish even better. I prefer to fish for whatever is biting! (Maybe an exception for snot rockets) I assume you do too----otherwise your handle would be 'debatergirl'. And, no, I don't want to argue about that. :lol:

lol, that day I was exploring in search of new holes so fishing was not affected.

#12 LordMykiss

LordMykiss

Perch

• Active Members
  • 851 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 03:02 PM

Maybe its just me but I have some strange love for steelhead.  Steelheading is about so much more than catching a stupid fish. 

I dont think steelhead are hard to catch because of pressure.....there are far less anglers out there in the colder months as oppose to fishing for salmon when the weather is nice and every living loogan is out.

don't want to get into psychology of it, but:

-steelheading is new for you

-you have only a hand full of steelhead under your belt,

-knowing how crappy your neck of the woods was, i can only assume from hearing stories and have high expectation of catching steelhead has made you desire steelhead even more.

-you associate salmon with loogans and weirdos and snaggers, hence you automatically look down on the fish as being trash.

-there might be less crazy people in shorts running after steelhead. but steelhead sit in holes and takes few anglers to be enough to leave no room for you to fish comfortably.

-there is thousands of salmon all over the place. main issue is the area you can fish for them after end of September, that makes it a zoo when you go to popular areas.

#13 Diana Danger

Diana Danger

Steel Bunny

• Active Members
  • 893 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 03:06 PM

-you associate salmon with loogans and weirdos and snaggers, hence you automatically look down on the fish as being trash.

probably the only valid point made and might be exactly why I feel the way I do.

#14 Diana Danger

Diana Danger

Steel Bunny

• Active Members
  • 893 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 03:09 PM

-steelheading is new for you

and yet I am probably more hardcore than most seasoned steelheaders out there.  #dedication

#15 CanadianAngler87

CanadianAngler87

Perch

• Active Members
  • 915 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 03:31 PM

Id say Steelhead are the better more sought after fish. But depending on what your after I can see why some would prefer to catch salmon. The thrill of saying I just caught a 30lbs fish could out weigh the beauty and energy of a bow in some peoples eyes. Take the loogans and snaggers outta the scene and both species are a blast to catch. Its a shame a select few give salmon a bad name.

#16 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 03:35 PM

+1...Was at GTA trib last year and this guy next to me just went off on me & 3 other anglers about the science of catching steels...like the best way to catch it is roe...now 2 guys were using roe, the other one is beading and i was casting 0 pmartins...all of us were catching steels except you know who...That's why I don't usually talk when 'm fishing. except mumbling "fish on"...

#17 Knuguy

Knuguy

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 996 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 03:45 PM

+1...Was at GTA trib last year and this guy next to me just went off on me & 3 other anglers about the science of catching steels...like the best way to catch it is roe...now 2 guys were using roe, the other one is beading and i was casting 0 pmartins...all of us were catching steels except you know who...That's why I don't usually talk when 'm fishing. except mumbling "fish on"...

Fishing and talking about it are, to me, two separate hobbies!!  :razz:  As S. Leacock (I think) observed---There's good fishing all winter long in the taverns! OK, GTA folk---over a hot latte for you!

#18 pop-vlado

pop-vlado

Sunfish

• Members
  • 176 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 03:58 PM

Salmon are interesting to fish for when they begin staging, they signal the end of the summer months and the beginning of winter. It's a neat time. I only find salmon fishing interesting off the piers and while they are still aggressive. I don't fish for salmon in the rivers.

However, steelhead is what we are all here for! It doesn't compare. 

#19 Captain Barty

Captain Barty

Sunfish

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 04:13 PM

I like both....

I think you really need to get out and fish salmon from a boat in the summer months to really appreciate them...

#20 fishfearme

fishfearme

Sunfish

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 04:36 PM

I consider myself a steelheader, but I must say that it is tough to beat a chrome fresh chinny or Coho, especially on the 'pin. Their aggressiveness is unreal and a fresh salmon will fight harder than a steelhead of the same size, but the fight is different, so when it comes down to it, it's really about personal preference and what you are looking to get out of your day on the water. Great Lakes salmon really do get a bad rep. Ask this question to west coast anglers and the common answer will more than likely be entirely different.

I also agree with Captain Barty, you haven't fought fish until you fight a big Chinny in open water.