Photo

What do you prefer to fish...Salmon or Steelhead?

• Please log in to reply
114 replies to this topic

#101 Knuguy

Knuguy

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 996 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 12:40 PM

..I show up, the fish show up....that's all that matters.

I've had just the opposite experience. I show up, the fish leave. (You shoulda been here yesterday, earlier this AM, 1/2 an hr ago etc etc boo hoo)

#102 Diana Danger

Diana Danger

Steel Bunny

• Active Members
  • 893 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 12:57 PM

lol, you consider the little bushes in the east tribs as forests? man oh man, you have got to fish a g-bay trib, then you'll se what a real forest looks like! lol.

Dude, it doesnt matter where I am.  If there are trees and running water, thats where I want to be.  The reason I'm out east all the time is because its where I live and I like to fish before work, after work and during work. LOL

Just because she frequents the east ditches doesn't mean that's the only place she fishes. For me I don't care where am at...I show up, the fish show up....that's all that matters.

Trust me I cant wait to get on bigger river in the spring.  I'll just have to make a day of it so its worth the drive! 

#103 GoodenTight

GoodenTight

Steelhead Master

• Active Members
  • 995 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 03:25 PM

fg dont listen to the loogs

#104 BowSlayer

BowSlayer

Perch

• Active Members
  • 895 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 05:59 PM

i don't know, id rather drift the g-bay tribs for hours without a bite and enjoy the peace and quiet and beauty of the forests, instead of sitting next to some smelly snagger trying to snag or floss a half dead rainbow barely swimming away from his huge a$$ treble, the fish fight like crap, the place is always filled with guys who don't know the first thing about fishing and are too lazy to learn so just snag them, the creeks are 3 metres wide at max in most places, the water is less then a metre deep in the pools. I just can't see why you people like the smelly eastern ditches so much, just do not get it but maybe thats just me.

#105 Shawarma

Shawarma

Perch

• Active Members
  • 853 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 09:00 PM

Maybe it's proximity?

Maybe they're learning? Besides, there are smelly snaggers everywhere.

Who cares really. There's fish. You fish em. You have fun. It's all good!

#106 BowSlayer

BowSlayer

Perch

• Active Members
  • 895 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 10:31 PM

no snaggers in the g-bay tribs i fished, hard to snag a fish in a 10 metre wide river that has 3-4 metre pools if you ask me, at least I've never seen one.

#107 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 10:37 AM

With this cold weather...I usually just hike and look at some pools...and trust me this opener will be good...A lot of 'bows are upriver...FG has been slacking off that's why.

#108 AKnook

AKnook

Perch

• Active Members
  • 578 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 06:51 PM

Snaggers everywhere.  It doesn't matter how large the river is.  Just because you haven't seen them around you doesn't mean they are not there.  I see it all the time, and on very large rivers at that. 

#109 BowSlayer

BowSlayer

Perch

• Active Members
  • 895 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 12:46 AM

not in the g-bay tribs i have fished some of these tribs from top to bottom and never seen  snagger, its much to deep and the current is way too fast for them to snag, as well as theres not much fish in each pool, maybe 2 or 3 for a 10 metre pool about 3 metres deep. I actually have seen sniggers at one small g-bay trib that were trying to snag a rainbow.

#110 chrome247

chrome247

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 02:57 AM

that were trying to snag a rainbow.

Thats when you politely tell them you are going to break their rod and then their neck, 9 times out of 10 they will smarten up lol

#111 Shmogley

Shmogley

Luck is one of my skills!

• Active Members
  • 853 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 12:42 PM

that 1/10  5 more of them come from nowhere and then you're the one moving ;)

#112 Alfiegee

Alfiegee

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 03:44 PM

right...if we're debating strictly the fight of the fish. my original post should have been more clear.

ON THE RIVER, which do you prefer to fish? Salmon or Steel....  :P

Just noticed this post today, sorree.

I my neck of the woods, GTA, most tribs are absolute madness during the Salmon run. I find I can stay away from the Salmon fishers and have a great time catching Chrome and Browns by fishing different parts of the water than the Salmon "loogans."

Steel is definitely my answer, with a side of Brown.

Alfie.

#113 BowSlayer

BowSlayer

Perch

• Active Members
  • 895 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 12:07 AM

that 1/10  5 more of them come from nowhere and then you're the one moving ;)

LOL

#114 Float down

Float down

Perch

• Active Members
  • 567 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 09:57 AM

not in the g-bay tribs i have fished some of these tribs from top to bottom and never seen snagger, its much to deep and the current is way too fast for them to snag, as well as theres not much fish in each pool, maybe 2 or 3 for a 10 metre pool about 3 metres deep. I actually have seen sniggers at one small g-bay trib that were trying to snag a rainbow.

Alright young fella, you obviously haven't fished um' all, there's snaggers everywhere. every trib I've been too, I can remember occasions where guys were snagging, bows or salmon. You have much too learn young padewon. You come with me in the spring, and I will show you spots where the fish are stacked and so are the Loogan's. I've invited you out before and I hold that offer, just waiting for the ice to get bent.

#115 steelhead101

steelhead101

Sunfish

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 03:27 PM

there are loogans on every river, I've seen people toss a fish back in the river to keep a bigger one on a GEORGIAN BAY TRIBUTARY ….