• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 quincy 71212

quincy 71212

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 07:02 PM

Hey everyone I'm heading out soon to go ice fishing with my girlfriend and my buddy and his girlfriend and I just want to know is bleeding any fish and putting them on a stringer ok or what should I do for keeping the meat good? Also wants the best methods for catching lake herring (catch and release ) and walleye and some of other other big fish in the lake

Thank you in advance

#2 quincy 71212

quincy 71212

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 07:04 PM

Some of the other * sorry

#3 CanadianAngler87

CanadianAngler87

Perch

• Active Members
  • 915 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 07:21 PM

Hey everyone I'm heading out soon to go ice fishing with my girlfriend and my buddy and his girlfriend and I just want to know is bleeding any fish and putting them on a stringer ok or what should I do for keeping the meat good? Also wants the best methods for catching lake herring (catch and release ) and walleye and some of other other big fish in the lake

Thank you in advance

Best way of doing perch is just pop the gills and toss em aside to freeze. I can almost guarantee you won't catch a Simcoe Walleye but yah never know. Targeting herring on simcoe is illegal whether its catch and release or not, but if your fishing perch there are good chances you may run into one or two. You want big fish from simcoe id suggest targeting Pike (Shallow), Lake trout or Whitefish (deep). Good luck!

#4 quincy 71212

quincy 71212

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 09:30 PM

Best way of doing perch is just pop the gills and toss em aside to freeze. I can almost guarantee you won't catch a Simcoe Walleye but yah never know. Targeting herring on simcoe is illegal whether its catch and release or not, but if your fishing perch there are good chances you may run into one or two. You want big fish from simcoe id suggest targeting Pike (Shallow), Lake trout or Whitefish (deep). Good luck!

Thanks a lot man BTW are there any other any other panfish besides perch like crappie or rock bass I could possible catch

#5 BowSlayer

BowSlayer

Perch

• Active Members
  • 895 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 10:08 PM

Thank you in advance

targeting herring even for c&r is illegal, your best bet for walters would be beaverton, its a good walk out but well worth it as there is huge jumbos and the only place on  simcoe where you can realistically catch walleye. if you want crappies its a little early but closer to spring, they will be at the mouth of the holland river out of cooks bay. Right now they are hard to find and not really in schools. I don't bleed the fish or put them on a stringer, never seen anyone do it, i just toss the aside on the ice, as do most other guys.

#6 Rower123

Rower123

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 10:34 PM

Whenever I catch fish I simply bleed them and throw it on the ice. Depends on the temp; bigger fish like lake trout or white fish won't freeze up too bad and they'll be really to fillet up once your home. On the other hand, perch will freeze up solid and you'll have to unthaw to clean them.
If you are taking your girlfriends out on the ice, I'd suggest targeting perch. On really good days, you can easily catch at least 25+ "keeper sized" fish a day, per person. You can find them almost every where on Simcoe (although I've only fished the south end of simcoe for them). I usually find them in between 5 and 25 feet of water. I mostly fish for perch with a live minnow on a small jig head or by using small spoons.Try to move around to different water depths until you find fish.
You can also target pike while fishing perch since they tend to both hang around in shallow water. I haven't fished for pike that much, but a common method is to secure a large minnow to a set of two treble hooks and let the minnow thrash around under the hole. Remember that pike have sharp teeth so always attach a steel or very heavy diameter leader to any line intended for catching pike.
White fish and lake trout are a blast to fish for but are more challenging to catch. Both live in deeper water(50-125 feet on water), and having a fishfinder really helps. For white fish I think a common method is to dangle a small spoon with a minnow just off the bottom. For lake trout medium sized spoons, ice fishing jigs and lipless crank baits; worked 5 to 25 feet off the bottom, have worked for me.

Good luck and have fun.

#7 quincy 71212

quincy 71212

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 07:38 PM

Whenever I catch fish I simply bleed them and throw it on the ice. Depends on the temp; bigger fish like lake trout or white fish won't freeze up too bad and they'll be really to fillet up once your home. On the other hand, perch will freeze up solid and you'll have to unthaw to clean them.
If you are taking your girlfriends out on the ice, I'd suggest targeting perch. On really good days, you can easily catch at least 25+ "keeper sized" fish a day, per person. You can find them almost every where on Simcoe (although I've only fished the south end of simcoe for them). I usually find them in between 5 and 25 feet of water. I mostly fish for perch with a live minnow on a small jig head or by using small spoons.Try to move around to different water depths until you find fish.
You can also target pike while fishing perch since they tend to both hang around in shallow water. I haven't fished for pike that much, but a common method is to secure a large minnow to a set of two treble hooks and let the minnow thrash around under the hole. Remember that pike have sharp teeth so always attach a steel or very heavy diameter leader to any line intended for catching pike.
White fish and lake trout are a blast to fish for but are more challenging to catch. Both live in deeper water(50-125 feet on water), and having a fishfinder really helps. For white fish I think a common method is to dangle a small spoon with a minnow just off the bottom. For lake trout medium sized spoons, ice fishing jigs and lipless crank baits; worked 5 to 25 feet off the bottom, have worked for me.

Good luck and have fun.

ok great thanks for the advice man 

#8 quincy 71212

quincy 71212

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 07:40 PM

targeting herring even for c&r is illegal, your best bet for walters would be beaverton, its a good walk out but well worth it as there is huge jumbos and the only place on  simcoe where you can realistically catch walleye. if you want crappies its a little early but closer to spring, they will be at the mouth of the holland river out of cooks bay. Right now they are hard to find and not really in schools. I don't bleed the fish or put them on a stringer, never seen anyone do it, i just toss the aside on the ice, as do most other guys.

thanks man i only asked about the lake herring cause the place im going to rent  a hut at they said its perfectly fine to catch them and that i just need to throw them back 

#9 BowSlayer

BowSlayer

Perch

• Active Members
  • 895 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 11:24 PM

which operator is that? would love to talk to have a chat with him, if he doesn't know the regs he shouldn't be giving out huts for rent!!!

#10 rcflores

rcflores

Sunfish

• Members
  • 188 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 04:39 AM

lol catching herring is illegal but they are pretty easy to catch accidentally especially if there are big school in the water.