• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#21 J'snest

J'snest

Sunfish

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 08:03 AM

Captain Barty is right. Most years there is heavy equipment out on the ice building or working on boathouses and island cottages. Having said that, right now there is about 15" of snow and 5"of water on the ice. Its pretty hard slogging to get anywhere if you are walking. Bring your snowshoes on the 23rd if nothing changes.

#22 BowSlayer

BowSlayer

Perch

• Active Members
  • 895 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 04:40 PM

are you guys talking about the main lake? never seen a car out on the bays and ive been fishing the lake for quite some time now...

#23 Liger

Liger

Sunfish

• Members
  • 216 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 10:56 PM

the last 3 years have been bad for cars. this year unless a contractor plows a road it looks like walking or sled only. there is alot of snow on the ice. on ross last weekend there was 3 feer of snow on 9 inch ice. as of now i would have to say park on shore and walk out. there is a bubbler on high right beside the lanch so driving a car or larger onto the ice is NOT a good plan. if there is a good trail out i will try to get my fathers polaris ranger 500 utv to help get some or all of us out farther but that depends on the trail out.

#24 GoodenTight

GoodenTight

Steelhead Master

• Active Members
  • 995 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 12:29 PM

Is this still good to go? All I have is a rod some hardware and beer will that work?

#25 BowSlayer

BowSlayer

Perch

• Active Members
  • 895 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 10:17 PM

I will try to make it on the 23rd but not sure yet if ill be able to, ill be there this sunday or monday for some lakers and ling, don't wanna go sat., because of the crowds, who's planning on going on the 23rd?

#26 OCDComputing

OCDComputing

Perch

• Active Members
  • 564 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 10:44 PM

I'm hoping to get out there...myself and the boy

#27 Liger

Liger

Sunfish

• Members
  • 216 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 11:23 PM

Early next week i will cheak the snow/ slush and ice. then let everyone know what is happening.  with some luck we will be able to get out to the better spots with little to no troble.

#28 getin

getin

Perch

• Active Members
  • 659 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 11:44 PM

I wanted to go this Sat but decided to postpone it to 23rd so to meet the OFF members, and hopefully face a smaller crowd as well

#29 Shmogley

Shmogley

Luck is one of my skills!

• Active Members
  • 853 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 04:17 PM

i am still in for this.. kinda slipped my mind a bit but my schedule is looking good...

now just to see how the ice and weather is gonna be ;)

#30 BowSlayer

BowSlayer

Perch

• Active Members
  • 895 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 07:13 PM

well conditions are crap apparently lots of snow on the lake and slush underneath, I'm screwed for sunday, lol, bringing the snowshoes with me, will let everyone know what the conditions are like.

#31 J'snest

J'snest

Sunfish

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 10:31 AM

So what are the plans for Sunday? Looking forward to it. What time and where are we meeting?

Thanks..........

#32 Shmogley

Shmogley

• Active Members
  • 853 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 01:53 PM

anyone scouted the conditions of ice yet? getting close..

still planning to show up but itd be nice to know whats good :)

#33 BowSlayer

BowSlayer

Perch

• Active Members
  • 895 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 04:27 PM

i was there monday lost a couple big ones at my spot, then walked around and got about 10 small guys and kept 1 and my dad kept 2, then when i wanted to get a 2nd one the fish finder went dead lol. Now on to the conditions bring rubber boots, slush everywhere, ounce you get off the snowmobile tracks its up to your knees ounce we were set up fishing we were in about 4-5 inches of water, we parked on the ice but the ice is not safe to go further and pull get stuck anyways, witnessed a lifted dodge ram get stuck, a caravan get stuck and hear a new ram lost its number getting pulled out of the parking, wouldn't recommend parking on the ice, we made it back but lots didn't. Depending on where this is going to be ill try to make it not sure if ill be able to though. 

#34 Shawarma

Shawarma

Perch

• Active Members
  • 853 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 05:04 PM

i was there monday lost a couple big ones at my spot, then walked around and got about 10 small guys and kept 1 and my dad kept 2, then when i wanted to get a 2nd one the fish finder went dead lol. Now on to the conditions bring rubber boots, slush everywhere, ounce you get off the snowmobile tracks its up to your knees ounce we were set up fishing we were in about 4-5 inches of water, we parked on the ice but the ice is not safe to go further and pull get stuck anyways, witnessed a lifted dodge ram get stuck, a caravan get stuck and hear a new ram lost its number getting pulled out of the parking, wouldn't recommend parking on the ice, we made it back but lots didn't. Depending on where this is going to be ill try to make it not sure if ill be able to though. 

4-5 inches of water? or ice?

#35 BowSlayer

BowSlayer

Perch

• Active Members
  • 895 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 05:17 PM

water tons of slush and water under the snow about 10 inches of ice in the spots with the most ice walking was a pain in the a$$ and all of us returned with wet clothes and boots.

#36 NADO

NADO

Unaccomplished Steelheader

• Moderators
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 07:18 PM

I hate those conditions. Garbage bags inside your boots are a must when its like that. Either that or wear good waterproof boots.

#37 DitchWizard

DitchWizard

Perch

• Active Members
  • 693 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 07:23 PM

I started wearing insulated rubber boots with studs and have not got a wet foot once this season. The water always seemed to make its way past the garbage bag on me :lol:

#38 BowSlayer

BowSlayer

Perch

• Active Members
  • 895 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 08:00 PM

its always slushy for joe, its weird that way but right now its one of the slushiest conditions I've ever seen in some spots, especially when you get off the machine tracks, then you're screwed lol, foots bay is slush everywhere but lots of small lakers and a few big ones if you know where to look, northern part of the lake i always do well for big ones and they actually stay on the hook, in foots the big ones almost always get off, the only ones that stay one well are the ling, those things don't get off, only rip your line if you're unlucky.

#39 Shmogley

Shmogley

• Active Members
  • 853 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 10:11 PM

sounds like a lot of work for people who would be on foot, maybe its not worth it?

i dunno im usually down for rough stuff but knee deep slush and water seems a bit extreme lol

#40 BowSlayer

BowSlayer

Perch

• Active Members
  • 895 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 12:05 AM

oh its extreme, a huge pain in the a$$ to say at the least to fall through to your knees with every step you take then come home with wet feet, not a fan of these conditions but joe is weird that way, almost always tons of slush on that lake, especially in foots bay, is this happening or?..... maybe switch the date to next weekend to give the slush some time to freeze to make it easier and ore enjoyable for everyone?