• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 fishing89

fishing89

Perch

• Active Members
  • 582 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 12:53 PM

I have never been ice fishing before, but I REALLY want to go. I live about an hour away from Simcoe, so i would like to try there.

I have the clothing...but nothing else.

What do i NEED for my first time and is it even SAFE to go out to simcoe this weekend ? (I know i will need the rods and tackle, bore but what else)

If anyone is willing to help me out and come with me (and my gf ) and teach us the ways I would forever be grateful and will share my steelhead advise hehe :mrgreen:

#2 Basschaser

Basschaser

Sunfish

• Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 01:15 PM

Was out on Simcoe last Sunday with some other OFF guys. The ice was 12" thick a km out so it will be even thicker this weekend. Jigs with minnows are good. You will need a skimmer to keep the hole clear of ice. It is suppose to be windy (like last weekend) so a shelter would make it more comfortable.
Where are you coming from?

#3 fishing89

fishing89

Perch

• Active Members
  • 582 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 01:17 PM

coming from Richmond Hill

I will give a ride if its close proximity to me in exchange for someone with a shelter and equipment...and knowledge lol! Will even pay for the Coffee :P

#4 ChasinTails

ChasinTails

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 01:23 PM

i think if your beginning get a guide and go in a hut, you will for sure catch fish and theres no risk of going trough the ice, plus you will learn a lot from the operator i used to go to tim hales or something like that 

#5 Shawarma

Shawarma

Perch

• Active Members
  • 853 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 01:27 PM

First time i went, i rented a hut. It was alot of fun and i didn't have to worry about any equipment other than a rod and tackle. Which you probably can rent as well. It'll be heated and you'll just have a good time regardless of what you catch. 

If you want to rough it on your own the first time:

- Don't forget your auger. Unless you like chipping the ice with a spoon or the handle of the skimmer. :P 

- Don't buy a plastic skimmer - get a proper metal one.

- A chair to sit on.

- A really really good thermos that'll keep your drink hot will be amazing. Bring one if you got one. 

#6 fishing89

fishing89

Perch

• Active Members
  • 582 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 01:40 PM

thanks guys!

Any good guide links? I was thinking of just doing that for the first time.

#7 Basschaser

Basschaser

Sunfish

• Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 01:41 PM

I am in Richmond Hill too. Where are you?

#8 Shawarma

Shawarma

Perch

• Active Members
  • 853 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 02:11 PM

I think FisherGril rented a hut there recently. See if she can recommend the operator for you.

#9 Basschaser

Basschaser

Sunfish

• Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 02:23 PM

If you want to rent a hut from an Outfitter and are looking to share costs I am interested.

#10 fishing89

fishing89

Perch

• Active Members
  • 582 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 05:05 PM

thinking now to postpone due to weather. Blowing snow with gusts 70km....doesn't sound too fun lmao. This winter sucks

#11 Basschaser

Basschaser

Sunfish

• Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 05:16 PM

Was suppose to go this Sunday with another buddy but he cancelled due to weather. He is very experienced so he probably knows it will not be very productive.
Always looking for fishing buddies. I am at Yonge and Elgin Mills, where are you?

#12 ChasinTails

ChasinTails

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 06:40 PM

thinking now to postpone due to weather. Blowing snow with gusts 70km....doesn't sound too fun lmao. This winter sucks

in a hut you can't tell the difference the first time i went it was like -30 and bad bad bad winds but the shed is toasty at like 15 degrees http://www.lakesimco...s-fish-huts.php

#13 Brian

Brian

Perch

• Active Members
  • 553 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 06:45 PM

Sunday is not gonna be that bad...

Sled

Hut (if windy)

Auger

Skimmer

Fishing rod and reel with jig heads

Bait bucket

Minnows

Electronics (if you have it)

Should get you started

#14 MuskieBait

MuskieBait

Perch

• Active Members
  • 567 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 07:15 PM

I thought you are all Canadians...what's a little cold and wind?  :razz:

Heading out tomorrow...but already have company so not inviting anyone else.

You won't feel the wind and cold at all once you are inside the hut...but while you are walking out, setting things up, taking things down and on the walk out, you better dress warm and cover exposed skin.

#15 fishing89

fishing89

Perch

• Active Members
  • 582 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 01:15 PM

Thanks guys. I will probably go next weekend. Id prefer a calmer day for a first time lol.

Im MajorMac and Yonge, so close! I was going to try bond or wilcox for ice fishing today....

#16 Basschaser

Basschaser

Sunfish

• Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 05:05 PM

We should go fishing together!
People ice fish on Wilcox and Bond Lakes!?
If that is the case I know of another nearby lake which may be fishable.

#17 BowSlayer

BowSlayer

Perch

• Active Members
  • 895 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 08:29 PM

Thanks guys. I will probably go next weekend. Id prefer a calmer day for a first time lol.

Im MajorMac and Yonge, so close! I was going to try bond or wilcox for ice fishing today....

bond is privet, you can get a joe fine, i almost did ounce, pike there are HUGE and bite very well but the dang landowner, lol.

#18 MuskieBait

MuskieBait

Perch

• Active Members
  • 567 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 10:20 PM

I was out today at a spot close to the lake. Some gusts up to 70km/h...blowing snow...but wasn't bad enough that would get me to put my pop-up hut into use. I was actually quite pleasant today fishing out in the open.

#19 Basschaser

Basschaser

Sunfish

• Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 11:22 PM

How did you do?

#20 BowSlayer

BowSlayer

Perch

• Active Members
  • 895 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 11:23 PM

you would've put it up yesterday if you were on nip, friggen -30 and snowstorm and 80 km winds, one minute outside and your hand was numb.