32 replies to this topic

#1 Diana Danger

Diana Danger

Steel Bunny

• Active Members
  • 893 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:47 PM

Me again.

Anxiously awating hotter days, I cannot stop thinking about fly fishing this summer. 

What do y'all wear on your feet while wet wading?

I assumed my wading boots and neo's but the guys at Sail keep telling me to use water shoes instead.  Thoughts??

This photo has me :wub: 

I can't wait to make more mods to my dingy! the picture angle makes mine look small but trust me...its big  ;) 

Photo2014-01-28105737PM1_zpsa66ffd0e.pngPhoto2013-09-1071555PM_zpsea03c4bb.jpg

#2 IR4J

IR4J

Perch

• Active Members
  • 884 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:59 PM

I wear sanuk hemps when wet wading. extremely light weight, good drainage, great grip, worn them for to summers now on and around the river with pretty much no wear... I think they were originally deigned as a canoe shoe. If they get dirty you just house them off and they are brand new again.

http://shopsanuk.ca

#3 Diana Danger

Diana Danger

Steel Bunny

• Active Members
  • 893 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 02:06 PM

I wear sanuk hemps when wet wading. extremely light weight, good drainage, great grip, worn them for to summers now on and around the river with pretty much no wear... I think they were originally deigned as a canoe shoe. If they get dirty you just house them off and they are brand new again.

http://shopsanuk.ca

Dont your feet get wrinkly?

#4 Christopher K

Christopher K

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 995 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 02:17 PM

Why wouldn't they get like that if you wore wading boots? LOL

You can use your normal boots, and I've done it fine, but they are heavy and really beat your feet up, you can get water shoes, or better yet get some boots designed for flats wading!

#5 IR4J

IR4J

Perch

• Active Members
  • 884 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 02:31 PM

Yeah little bit but I honestly could care less... They are pretty well just there to protect and give my feet better grip

Dont your feet get wrinkly?

#6 Christopher K

Christopher K

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 995 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 02:58 PM

Yeah little bit but I honestly could care less... They are pretty well just there to protect and give my feet better grip

I think you mean you couldn't care less. :)

#7 Diana Danger

Diana Danger

Steel Bunny

• Active Members
  • 893 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 03:05 PM

I think you mean you couldn't care less. :)

thats a pet peeve of mine too! lol

but i couldnt care less to correct him ;)

#8 Shawarma

Shawarma

Perch

• Active Members
  • 853 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 03:08 PM

I used a pair of running shoes last summer. Worked well for the areas i was wet wading in. I'm going to use my wading boots and waders this summer though. Getting back in the car after wet wading wasn't too fun. 

#9 guest

Smallmouth Bass

• Closed Accounts
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 03:24 PM

simms zipits or orvis christmas island boots--use them love them--good summer gear,

#10 MuskieBait

MuskieBait

Perch

• Active Members
  • 567 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 03:35 PM

I use simple surf booties...something similar to those in the link below...but got mine for $30 in Hawaii where these surf booties (or called tabis locally) are very popular for people walking and fishing on sharp lava rocks covered in slippery algae...basically function the same as the Simms and Orvis...but at half the price.

http://www.amazon.co...f=pd_sbs_shoe_4

#11 fishing with a fly

fishing with a fly

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 03:45 PM

I have the Simms zippet booties there amazing super comfy as for that boat FG that raft is worth about 5 grand as a two seater it's from water master it's made to handle white water I'm sort of looking a the outcast 3 seated raft model but dropping that much money right now is a little out of my budget

#12 MadocFlyGuy

MadocFlyGuy

Perch

• Moderators
  • 753 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 04:35 PM

When not in my wading boots, I am usually wearing the Simm's Mariner Shoe. I have beaten the hell out of these shoes, and they just keep coming back for more. I've worn them for the past year wet wading, fishing from boats, climbing mountains in Arizona, and throughout parts of the winter here, and they are still functioning perfectly. They're not really designed for wet wading, but they worked for me :)

#13 troutddicted

troutddicted

Bouts with trouts

• Moderators
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 07:25 PM

Wrinkly feet :lol:  Better get used to them, ma'am. 

What I wear depends where I'm fishing... during the warmer months of summer while boating I'm usually in shorts and sandals.  Take the sandals off jump in the water, feet dry off pretty quick and wont shrivel into albino California red box raisins.  I also do this when I'm canoeing around in the spring in cold water... feet dry off super quick.  Otherwise I'm wearing water shoes/mocs made from a synthetic material.  I don't like funky smelling peat water absorbing into fabrics on a 5 day canoe trip... mix that up with the other smells that accumulate over the trip and you end up polluting the air around you - bad for the environment.  If I'm trekking through heavy vegetation in bone chilling, ground water fed headwaters I'm wearing socks and waders.  The water is too cold for me.. especially if its really hot out.  The waders also protect my lower half from being assaulted by any of the blood suckers that are around and all the nasty plants out there. 

#14 Diana Danger

Diana Danger

Steel Bunny

• Active Members
  • 893 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 07:58 PM

Wrinkly feet :lol:  Better get used to them, ma'am. 

What I wear depends where I'm fishing... during the warmer months of summer while boating I'm usually in shorts and sandals.  Take the sandals off jump in the water, feet dry off pretty quick and wont shrivel into albino California red box raisins.  I also do this when I'm canoeing around in the spring in cold water... feet dry off super quick.  Otherwise I'm wearing water shoes/mocs made from a synthetic material.  I don't like funky smelling peat water absorbing into fabrics on a 5 day canoe trip... mix that up with the other smells that accumulate over the trip and you end up polluting the air around you - bad for the environment.  If I'm trekking through heavy vegetation in bone chilling, ground water fed headwaters I'm wearing socks and waders.  The water is too cold for me.. especially if its really hot out.  The waders also protect my lower half from being assaulted by any of the blood suckers that are around and all the nasty plants out there. 

Holy hell I'm getting excited!

#15 JeffSimms

JeffSimms

Sunfish

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 08:39 PM

I've been debating getting some quality boots for this year, I tend to be waist deep in a river the bulk of my life haha. I definitely felt a lot better once I picked up some half decent chest waders. Like Shawarma said, it really sucks getting back in the car when you are soaked. Then again a couple extra wrinkles and damage to my feet is worth a days fishing.

#16 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 08:44 PM

could just go with a pair of neoprene socks and your regular wading boots, for myself i have a pair of swimming shoes i got from canadian tire

#17 Brian

Brian

Perch

• Active Members
  • 553 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 08:45 PM

When not in my wading boots, I am usually wearing the Simm's Mariner Shoe. I have beaten the hell out of these shoes, and they just keep coming back for more. I've worn them for the past year wet wading, fishing from boats, climbing mountains in Arizona, and throughout parts of the winter here, and they are still functioning perfectly. They're not really designed for wet wading, but they worked for me :)

I like the look of these MFG. You notice any loss of grip on these at all? I love the vibram soles, but think they wear away reasonably fast. (Or maybe I just use mine way too much)

In response to the post, I usually use my wading boots in the summer because they dry of really fast and have all the support I need to get around obstacles. (climbing and such)

#18 Bow Man

Bow Man

Smallmouth Bass

• Banned
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:15 PM

These: http://www.vibramfiv...rsport_mens.htm

super comfy, and feel very natural on the foot. Oh they come in pink for women. :)

#19 guest

Smallmouth Bass

• Closed Accounts
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 10:09 PM

i have those as well..they are awesome..just hate that creepy stuff can touch my ankles in deeper water--so i use the christmas island boots ool--turns out those five fingers are good for portaging as well 

#20 Jacklake

Jacklake

Sunfish

• Members
  • 176 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:00 PM

Hey FisherGirl -

I use simple surf booties...something similar to those in the link below...but got mine for $30 in Hawaii where these are very popular for people walking and fishing on sharp lava rocks covered in slippery algae...basically function the same as the Simms and Orvis...but at half the price.

http://www.amazon.co...f=pd_sbs_shoe_4

These are also available at MEC $35, and I use them in the pontoon boat or float-tube inside my flippers (in warm water).  They are OK for getting out onto shore for lunch, but I wouldn't wan to wade in them - they offer no arch support and soles are thin;  you feel every stone and your foot flexes way too much, IMO.

could just go with a pair of neoprene socks and your regular wading boots

I agree with this suggestion.  Non-slip, safe from ankle scrapes and jammed toes - that's why they make wading boots the way they do!  Here are the socks.

These: http://www.vibramfiv...rsport_mens.htm

super comfy, and feel very natural on the foot. Oh they come in pink for women. :)

Never, never, never.  A number of years ago I was lining a canoe up a very shallow riffle, so took off my runners to keep them dry and waded in bare feet.  Slipped and jammed my foot forward into a rock - didn't even fall down.  Broken 2nd toe which now, 20 years later, is arthritic and moving sideways.  Get those toes inside some protection - and as well keep your feet from getting cut on sharp objects in the water - ever had a little stick jab you in the instep?