• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 salmonfisher

salmonfisher

Sunfish

• Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 07:20 PM

Hey guys im planning on fishing big bay point this weekend but I have no clue where to park the car, is the ice good enough to park on the shoreline? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

#2 BowSlayer

BowSlayer

Perch

• Active Members
  • 895 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 07:28 PM

the government dock is residents only, I'm pretty sure you can still park off big bay point rd though. 

#3 salmonfisher

salmonfisher

Sunfish

• Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 07:36 PM

Cool thanks ill give that a shot, but isn't that a little far from the fishing area, I thought people fished the "point" of big bay point LOL

#4 BowSlayer

BowSlayer

Perch

• Active Members
  • 895 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 09:51 PM

not really the fish are all over the place, more people on the kemp side then on the main lake side but i actually have more luck on the main lake side, theres a parking at the end of the road, its usually full by 6 am, so everyone else just parks on the road.

#5 Shawarma

Shawarma

Perch

• Active Members
  • 853 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 10:30 PM

Didn't some kind of ice quake happen? Careful with that ice.

#6 salmonfisher

salmonfisher

Sunfish

• Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 10:50 PM

THANKS!!! ILL BE HEADING OUT TOMORROW MORNING, AS FOR THE ICE CONDITIONS IM SO DESPERATE THAT IM WILLING TO RISK IT LOL

#7 BowSlayer

BowSlayer

Perch

• Active Members
  • 895 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 11:16 PM

no ice quake just a crack that runs around there every year, nothing unusual ice is very thick, last year there were guys driving around in cars there, this year wouldn't surprise me if the same happened.

#8 OCDComputing

OCDComputing

Perch

• Active Members
  • 564 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 11:38 PM

If you are talking about Simcoe..just park on the ice. My boy and I were there not last Sunday but the Sunday befrore (19th)...I drove out no problem (2 ton Jeep)..and my son got a ticket parked at Innisfil Beach Park

#9 BowSlayer

BowSlayer

Perch

• Active Members
  • 895 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 12:05 AM

ocd innisfil beach and kemp bay are two whole different stories, kemp. bay has a strong current ibp has no current. Why did your son get a ticket? did he pay or just park? lol

#10 salmonfisher

salmonfisher

Sunfish

• Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 10:21 AM

cooks bay always has very thick ice and most of the time I just park on the ice, but its my first time going to bbp so im a little scared

#11 BowSlayer

BowSlayer

Perch

• Active Members
  • 895 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 10:33 AM

cooks bay is really shallow and absolutely no current lol, i wouldn't be scared to drive across from gilford to keswick in a full sized pick up and people have done it before, bhp has lots of current but these temps that we have been getting froze it up real good but I'm not saying to go and drive on the ice, i would walk but to each their own.

#12 NADO

NADO

Unaccomplished Steelheader

• Moderators
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 01:45 PM

there was some sort of ice quake or whatever you want to call it where I was on the north shore Thursday. The depth on the screen just suddenly dropped 1.5' and we were like wtf just happened?? lol. We were on 15"+ of ice so we weren't too worried.

#13 BowSlayer

BowSlayer

Perch

• Active Members
  • 895 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 06:09 PM

it was probably the ice building, it happens, the ice slides, one layer goes under the other sometimes, nothing unusual. 

#14 Knuguy

Knuguy

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 996 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 06:12 PM

What's happening is that the ice expands as the temp rises( usually mid-day) and contracts as the temp falls. It's frozen in a confined area i.e the lake or a bay in the lake. so 'something's gotta give' . That's why you get the big ridges at the shoreline and elsewhere in the lake.

#15 OCDComputing

OCDComputing

Perch

• Active Members
  • 564 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 09:32 PM

BowSlayer....he just parked...didn't know about the parking machines until after...lol

#16 BowSlayer

BowSlayer

Perch

• Active Members
  • 895 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 10:15 PM

lol, nice.