• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Jacklake

Jacklake

Sunfish

• Members
  • 176 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 10:41 AM

Over the past few months there have been a number of OFFers expressing interest in fly fishing and fly tying.

The Sportsmen's Show will have a section on the west wall for informally coaching both casting and tying.

In particular, the Winter Hatches Fly Fishing Club and the West Hill Anglers Casting Club will share a booth next to the TSA Archery and Pellet Gun Range (south end of the casting pool).

Winter Hatches will have brochures and information on the upcoming Tying Symposium and will be tying flies to attract your attention.  The Casting Club will have demonstration and practice rods for you to try.

My slot is all day Saturday and I would like to meet any OFFers who stop to say hello.

At the other end of the pool is the Isaac Walton Fly Fishing Club - I know one prominent member of OFF plans to be there much of the time.

So if you have an interest in fly fishing, come on over and spend some time getting introduced to the sport, or that tune-up tip you feel you need.  Cheers.

#2 freshMint

freshMint

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 01:39 PM

sounds great.thank you for the info

#3 GuitarBuildingAngler

GuitarBuildingAngler

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 399 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 08:07 PM

I'll see you there JackLake!

#4 Christopher K

Christopher K

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 995 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 11:29 PM

No one from OFF today! Will I be seeing any of you tomorrow?

#5 PUMP KNOWS

PUMP KNOWS

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 12:32 AM

Im gonna check it out tomorrow.

I wanna learn how about flyfishing.

#6 Christopher K

Christopher K

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 995 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 08:46 AM

I'll see you at the izaak booth then pump!

#7 MadocFlyGuy

MadocFlyGuy

Perch

• Moderators
  • 753 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 08:58 AM

Chris, GBA and I will be there on Sunday - will you be around at all?

#8 Diana Danger

Diana Danger

Steel Bunny

• Active Members
  • 893 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 09:31 AM

I'll be there Saturday!

#9 flyBones

flyBones

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 06:48 PM

i'm there sunday! need to check out some gear to replenish for opener...

#10 Christopher K

Christopher K

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 995 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 09:59 PM

I'm there all weekend guys, did a couple dozen flies yesterday and today I did another 80.

#11 fishing with a fly

fishing with a fly

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 10:56 PM

How's the show going I heard that there's not a lot of fly fishing Booths there if that's true that sucks it would be nice if winter hatches and Izaak Walton combined the winter hatches tying symposium and the fly fishing show and we're able to attract. Some manufacturs reps and fly shops as well as guides and have a much larger show just based on fly fishing I thin next year sommerset New Jersey will be where I'm heading for the fly fishing show

#12 guest

Smallmouth Bass

• Closed Accounts
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 10:59 PM

my buddy went down today--this is not a fly fishing show--sad actually. but the money is in baitcasting...i did hear there is a noce brook trout pond where kids can repeatedly rip the gills off the same handful of fish lol

#13 fishing with a fly

fishing with a fly

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 11:04 PM

Ya but ck it's supposed to have the Izaak Walton fly fishing hall but from what I hear the guy who puts on the show jacked the prices I rent a booth and screwed the Izaak Walton fishing club agai that's just what I heard but it wouldn't surprise me

#14 Christopher K

Christopher K

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 995 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 11:28 PM

Ya we got stuffed in a corner, we're there so the show can say that we're there, but it doesn't seem like they want the attention on us.

#15 Jacklake

Jacklake

Sunfish

• Members
  • 176 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 11:35 PM

How's the show going I heard that there's not a lot of fly fishing Booths there if that's true that sucks it would be nice if winter hatches and Izaak Walton combined the winter hatches tying symposium and the fly fishing show and we're able to attract. Some manufacturs reps and fly shops as well as guides and have a much larger show just based on fly fishing I thin next year sommerset New Jersey will be where I'm heading for the fly fishing show

May I suggest the Midwest Fly Fishing Expo.  It is probably 2nd to the Sommerset Show in size, but much closer.  Many from Ontario go every year, particularly because there are seminars all the time - as well as the retailers.  And only $15 for two days!

#16 Jacklake

Jacklake

Sunfish

• Members
  • 176 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 11:42 PM

I was at the Sportsmen's all day and spoke to Chris a couple of times, and of course was at our own booth promoting the casting club and Winter Hatches.

It IS in a bit of a backwater for the show, and no retailers except Reel Flies selling flies.  The Show however is not what it used to be because it is too expensive for most small enterprises to attend, especially if they are interesting basement operations or retailers who have to disrupt normal business to bring displays and people.  Isaac Walton has received a grant for 5 years to 'host' that area, so there will not be any change in shows for F'fishers.

Did not see FisherGirl turn up today, but did connect with a few new people who will; start fly fishing, come to the Symposium, or maybe live in TO and come to either the casting or fishing club.  I did get a look at the fly Chris will be tying at Winter Hatches in March.

#17 Christopher K

Christopher K

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 995 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 08:53 AM

I've been selling some flies as well Greg, so have a couple others at our booth (izaak Walton). There had better be some more OFF people there today!!

#18 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 09:25 AM

wish i could be there, but other circumstances aren't allowing me to go

#19 Diana Danger

Diana Danger

Steel Bunny

• Active Members
  • 893 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 11:43 AM

I spent most of my time at the show hanging with the dudes by the fly booths.

Does anyone know of or belong to a fly club in orono? Thinking about joining

#20 flyBones

flyBones

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 06:40 PM

there's the izaak walton one

winter hatches for fly tying

turns out there's a scarborough one that you can join and learn how to make your own bamboo rod?!

WHAAAAAT

sign me up!