• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 rhymobot

rhymobot

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 370 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 12:53 PM

A few of us including a couple of kids are thinking about giving ice fishing a try. I've gone once but the others haven't.

Simcoe is too far for us. Wanna keep it closer for the first time out. Island Lake in Orangeville we'd consider but their site says it's $26 per person for heated hut plus $5 entry. That's too much for us.

Shades Mills in Cambridge says $20 for unheated hut but doesn't specify if it's per person.

Anyone know of places within 1 hour or so of Burlington? Don't have to rent a hut if it's close to zero that day. Plus we might only be there for a couple of hours.

Thanks.

#2 azp

azp

Sunfish

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 01:16 PM

gilford is less than 1 hr from 404...but re. hut pricing you have limited options around there...

prob. your best bet like you said just pick a warmish day / low winds (i.e. this Sunday) and walk out of gilford for a couple hrs. 

#3 BowSlayer

BowSlayer

Perch

• Active Members
  • 895 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 07:16 PM

if you want non stop action but not a single keeper (not that i would keep) go to gilford, 25 per person is considered an ok deal, thats the average price for a decent hut that will be on fish. It depends on what you want to catch, if perch id go to orillia it will be almost non stop but actual jumbos or near beaverton port bolster, vriginia beach, its good right now in certain spots there,. Im really not sure of any spots that will produce within an hour of burlington, too close to the city, if you want good fish you gotta drive away from the crowds, there are a couple lakes near you that hold pike but the chances aren't amazing.