• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 classic drifter

classic drifter

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 460 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 01:07 AM

im just in the point where should i get a backpack, a vest or a belt bag? i see anglers on the water having these 3 main carry ons while fishing, i really need your opinion on which you think will be the best for an angler like me, i do alot of steelheading, hiking here and there, jumping on rocks crossing unknown waters, stuff like that, so i really need everyones input on this, im looking to shed some light on which im going to purchase, thanks everyone!

CLASSIC DRIFTER

#2 JeffSimms

JeffSimms

Sunfish

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 02:53 AM

How much tackle do you usually bring? I personally try to cut out as much weight as I can, It just slows me down. if you're on the move a lot, and don't have an abundance of lures and gear to bring, I'd opt for a vest. I know a lot of my buddy's like to bring a backpack so they can carry pretty much any tackle/gear they own just in case, but I never saw the point of the added effort unless your staying in one location the whole day.

#3 Diana Danger

Diana Danger

Steel Bunny

• Active Members
  • 893 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 10:52 AM

As someone once told me when I was contemplating the same decision - vests are soooo 70's bro.  It's all about your personal preference but, if you arent already devoted to a vest, I wouldnt start now..

I purchased a simms headwater pro hippack and I absolutely love it!  When its flung on my back its weightless and I can bushwhack all over like superwoman.  In the summer, I can wear light clothing and not worry about being constricted by a vest.   Whenever I need something, it easily slides around and everything is at my finger tips.  This is a very popular hippack... I bet a lot of members own one.

http://www.anglers-p...sthip_pack.html

#4 w_ boughner

w_ boughner

Perch

• Active Members
  • 647 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 11:11 AM

I would go with a hip pack if your a pinner or fly guy but if your in to the hard baits and plastics you will need the space of a back pack

#5 ChaseChrome

ChaseChrome

Banned

• Banned
  • 2,448 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 11:20 AM

Patagonia sling...

#6 Shawarma

Shawarma

Perch

• Active Members
  • 853 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 11:28 AM

I use a backpack because it works for how i fish. The extra weight doesn't bother me. I have two of these guys in the backpack (http://www.uni-plast...ckle box 04.jpg) that carry quite a bit. I have soft plastics in one, and the other has weights, hooks, terminal tackle.. etc..  and hard baits. 

Take into account how often you move as well. Can you not drop the backpack on a rock or the shore before jumping in? You can just pick it up and move when you need to. 

#7 troutddicted

troutddicted

Bouts with trouts

• Moderators
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 11:37 AM

Anything that goes around your neck is a pain.  Hip packs/hip belt packs are great - make sure you get a quality one that won't lose its ability to hold tight around the waist... spend the extra few bucks and get a good one.  Backpacks for trips that need the extra space.  Although I've never used a sling pack myself they are apparently what you want - getting great reviews on all sorts of boards.  Whatever you get, from my experience, make sure is zippered and water proof isn't 100% water proof.

Personally, I like a small compact hip pack and fill my pockets with whatever else I need.  The small pack is great for tight quarters and doesn't get in the way of anything. 

#8 Bow Man

Bow Man

Smallmouth Bass

• Banned
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 12:49 PM

Sling or hip pack.

#9 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 01:32 PM

depends on the day i have planned, its half a day i'll just use the chest pouch on my waders or a waist pack, if its a full day, i'll bring my backpack and pack my lunch, snacks and drinks in it

#10 classic drifter

classic drifter

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 460 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 02:40 PM

thanks everyone for all your input, im mostly like leaning towards a hip pack, but something like flash proof kinda thing, like when it dips on the water for like 2-3 seconds the contents wont soak up right away kinda thing, I really appreciate the comments and suggestions made that reAly helped me, for what I do most of the time I think investing on a hip pack is the best answer to me, thanks again!!!

CLASSIC DRIFTER

#11 troutddicted

troutddicted

Bouts with trouts

• Moderators
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 02:50 PM

Make sure you buy right the first time - put thought into what you want if for.  Do you need space for a water bottle? Do you have lots of plastic boxes you keep your stuff in that will take up a lot of space? A waterproof one will cost at least 200 from what I've seen.  Look at a couple different stores before you make a purchase... SAIL, BPS, Wilsons are ones I'd hit.

#12 IR4J

IR4J

Perch

• Active Members
  • 884 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 03:03 PM

Buy remys simms guide pro waist pack-- before I do ... LOL

#13 classic drifter

classic drifter

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 460 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 03:14 PM

will look into that!!!

#14 fishing with a fly

fishing with a fly

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 03:23 PM

Patagonia sling...

simms sling

#15 classic drifter

classic drifter

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 460 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 03:37 PM

fishing with a fly, good suggestion!!!

#16 fishing with a fly

fishing with a fly

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 04:02 PM

its very comfy i have the bigger size and love it

#17 classic drifter

classic drifter

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 460 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 04:32 PM

nice,,, looking at a simms headwater pro, hope I get the deal going

#18 nima

nima

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 05:04 PM

i have a surge hip pack lots of space,9 pockets ,woking station and one thing i love about it no zippers just love it

u could get it at bass pro for 120 $  

check 2:06 m

cheers 

#19 ChasinTails

ChasinTails

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 05:13 PM

im a type of guy who has all his gear in 1 backpack, the reason being is that when i leave something at home thinking "oh i don't need that" i end up needing it, plus i almost always go fishing at more than one location/waterbody and i never know what im going to run into. I don't mind the weight, it makes for good exercise lol 

#20 classic drifter

classic drifter

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 460 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 05:15 PM

hmmmm... something to look at,,, that's pretty neat though!!!